Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basc

Basc

I'm considering joining the B.A.S.C as an effort to do things properly with my plans to join a gun club etc. I don't hunt so have never required insurance and never really bothered if I'm completely honest. I'm guessing a lot of you on here are members of B.A.S.C so I am asking for your opinions and any info/advice. Also I feel that with the possibility of new airgun restrictions in England and Wales being a hot topic I cant help feeling that being a member of B.A.S.C will be an all round good thing.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Been a member for over six years Mike including insurance.
    I do hunting including deer stalking, so I think its essential !

I also did my Level 1 Deer Management with them and have begun my Level 2.
    They offer a massive amount of valuable advice and info. but if you're in any doubt, call in on their stand at any Game Fair and have a chat They are only too pleased to help you !
    “An airgun or two”………

I certainly will do that thanks. Definitely nothing to lose and I believe airgun membership is around £53.00 per year so a bargain in my opinion.

If you are just target shooting then perhaps NSRA or NRA might be better for you?

Both are members of the same 'club' as BASC fighting for our rights. The NRA in particular have stepped up their game in recent years.

If you plan to enter competitions external to your club then being a member of the NSRA allows you to enter their competitions (they have Lightweight Sporting Rifle and Benchrest competitions that can be shot with an air rifle). You can also hire a lane at the Lord Roberts Centre should the need ever arise.

I'm a member of the NRA and they offer hunting insurance and rifle insurance as part of the package.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I'm considering joining the B.A.S.C as an effort to do things properly with my plans to join a gun club etc.
    You don't need insurance to join a club.
    Master Debater

Thanks for the responses chaps. Certainly some food for thought there.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    If you are just target shooting then perhaps NSRA or NRA might be better for you?

Both are members of the same 'club' as BASC fighting for our rights. The NRA in particular have stepped up their game in recent years.

If you plan to enter competitions external to your club then being a member of the NSRA allows you to enter their competitions (they have Lightweight Sporting Rifle and Benchrest competitions that can be shot with an air rifle). You can also hire a lane at the Lord Roberts Centre should the need ever arise.

I'm a member of the NRA and they offer hunting insurance and rifle insurance as part of the package.
    Good advice. I've found both BASC and the NRA to be very good when I've needed advice on licensing issues earlier this year. And what they do on the lobbying front is commendable, IMHO.

I have no experience of the other organisations, but if you ever need assistance you will find the BASC to be worth every penny. It's also worth noting that more members means more political clout and a wider range of input into their policy making.

Other conservation charities have recently tended towards looking for donations rather than members which means that their board of directors is accountable to less people and allows them to abuse their positions to chase personal agendas.

BASC offer legal support and also a decent range of discounts - especially if you want to buy a new car.

I was offered a brand new Mitsubishi L200 a few years back with a 25% discount. Would have saved thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    I have no experience of the other organisations, but if you ever need assistance you will find the BASC to be worth every penny. It's also worth noting that more members means more political clout and a wider range of input into their policy making.

Other conservation charities have recently tended towards looking for donations rather than members which means that their board of directors is accountable to less people and allows them to abuse their positions to chase personal agendas.
    The political clout is exactly what I'm thinking about with regards to possible law changes. With law changes etc in the pipeline its all to easy to sit back, roll over and let it happen and then wish you had "raised your voice" once its too late. If being an organisation member means more clout for our beloved sport whether its hunting, Field target, or simple back garden plinking, then join I shall!!!

its worth it for the cover and some legal back up.
    My dad didn't like the internal politics of BASC and went over to the Countryside Alliance (national politics ) but essentially it was about finding the cheapest liability insurance.

yes join but that dose mean there wont be an air gun licence,

I haven't hunted anything in about five or more years, but I maintain my BASC membership, because it is a good thing to do, whether from the lobbying point of view, insurance, legal advice, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    I'd join NRA myself to get their insurance .
    At least you know they actually use airguns .
    Who in the NRA uses airguns?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post

Who in the NRA uses airguns?
    ^^^^^ THIS X2 ^^^^^

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.