Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a tactial rifle itch whats out there?

How about an Artemis P15? Small, light and powerful. Regged,too.

How 'tactical' can you be with an air rifle?

This whole 'tacticool' thing has passed me by.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

FX Impact?

I've just got a Daystate Renegade and I have to say, I really like the compact configuration, build quality and trigger on it. It's a little twangy, but that's mainly because your head is so close to the hammer.

All my other guns are traditional - well they all have some bits of tree attached!

Despite having a plastic, sorry polymer, stock, it doesn't feel cheap. It feels solid, heavy and well built.

I really wonder what a ' Tactical ' rifle spitting 8.44 grs pellets @ 11.2 ft.lbs might be capale of doing?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I really wonder what a ' Tactical ' rifle spitting 8.44 grs pellets @ 11.2 ft.lbs might be capale of doing?

A.G
    Those little tiny 50 yard groups we all crave

If you want a really tactical rifle, just put a thermal sight on any pcp rifle, oh and a good mod!

In reality, a sub 12 air rifle cannot be tactical, unless you are hunting very smart quarry! (I know rats can get clever, but they are unlikely to set up defensive positions requiring a tactical response!)

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Those little tiny 50 yard groups we all crave
    Oh yes, I forgot those neat holes in the paper targets. I think that I might wrap my HW 100 in black Gorila tape. .

A.G

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    For those getting too bogged down with semantics, here, the term 'Tactical' when used in air gun terms these days, refers to the style of stock (black and usually synthetic). This is the interpretation of 'Tactical' to which I believe the O-P is alluding to?

I've a black tactical stocked BSA Scorpion single-shot (which you can't get anymore) in .177, have had it for five years now, and am still so pleased with it that there is no other tactical stocked PCP on the market that I would rather have. For it holds air well (sometimes months pass between it's outings, and if put away fully charged -- as a PCP should always be -- it doesn't drop a single psi while in the cabinet).

Also, when shooting it off my Harris bi-pod, my tactical stocked Scorpion gives me close clover-leaf groupings at 40 yards time after time with AA 4.52s, so imho, you could do a lot worse than a BSA Scorpion (an s/h s/s variant if you can find one, or a mag-fed m/s one either s/h or brand new if not). Hope this kind-a helps? Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-10-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: to ad the bit in blue.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

And here is the proper meaning of the word 'Tactical'.

a- Relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.

b- Showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

I hope everyone appreciates that to stick an inappropriate adjective to an air gun does not make the gun ' tactical '.
    If it is the case that this term refers to airguns with black synthetic stocks with a few picatinny rails strewn all over the place then so be it but this does not make a UK spec air rifle either tactical nor does it aid extra accuracy in itself. If anything unless the stock is of substantial build the flexure caused by putting the rifle in various shooting positions will actually make it less accuarte.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    And here is the proper meaning of the word 'Tactical'.

a- Relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.

b- Showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

I hope everyone appreciates that to stick an inappropriate adjective to an air gun does not make the gun ' tactical '.
    If it is the case that this term refers to airguns with black synthetic stocks with a few picatinny rails strewn all over the place then so be it but this does not make a UK spec air rifle either tactical nor does it aid extra accuracy in itself. If anything unless the stock is of substantial build the flexure caused by putting the rifle in various shooting positions will actually make it less accuarte.

A.G
    There are a lot of people out shooting "tactical" or as they would be better described as "black rifles", who get tremendous results. It doesn't have to be a fence post with a pipe strapped onto it to be accurate.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by rob edge View Post

There are a lot of people out shooting "tactical" or as they would be better described as "black rifles", who get tremendous results. It doesn't have to be a fence post with a pipe strapped onto it to be accurate.
    ^^^ This x2 (well said) and even though not dictionary defenition tactical, if tactical is he name the manufacturer labels one of their guns (as with BSA for instance) then that is the generic way in which they are referred to, no? After all, my Webley is called a Vulcan, and we accept that as a name and don't expect it to perform like a stealth winged bomber, do we (although wouldn't it be great if it did, lol ) ??? ^^^

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-10-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: coz I can :-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Err yeah it was looking for a synthetic stock that can take the abuse and not cry when i put a huge scratch in a nice bit of wallnut, if the air bottle happens to be the stock or its a bullpup then not fussed.

Also it seems alot of tactical/synthetic stocks are ambidextrous as standard which i need.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Tactical means Army-looking guns. Like the SAS use (Special Army Soldiers).

Synthetic stocked rifle means plastic stocked rifle rather than wooden stocked rifle. I have two, a HW77K in a synthetic thumbhole, and a BSA Scorpion in a standard synthetic stock.

Of course military rifles only got plastic stocks in the late 1960s, even some SLRs had wooden furniture.

So in a way all air-rifles are 'tactical' if you consider the typical battle rifle of the 20th Century, the Lee-Enfield or Mauser 98.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Tactical means Army-looking guns. Like the SAS use (Special Army Soldiers).

Synthetic stocked rifle means plastic stocked rifle rather than wooden stocked rifle. I have two, a HW77K in a synthetic thumbhole, and a BSA Scorpion in a standard synthetic stock.

Of course military rifles only got plastic stocks in the late 1960s, even some SLRs had wooden furniture.

So in a way all air-rifles are 'tactical' if you consider the typical battle rifle of the 20th Century, the Lee-Enfield or Mauser 98.
    I do believe the 1853 pattern Lee Enfield had a tactical option. It was adorned with false teeth made from walrus ivory to distract the enemy long enough for the 3 1/2 minute reloading procedure.
    Although lauded by the generals at the time, it resulted in a high amount of casualties and the theft of many sets of ivory teeth.
    Historians have since remarked that this was an early example of product placement on the battlefield, so popular now with the Coca~Cola Battletank.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I do believe the 1853 pattern Lee Enfield had a tactical option. It was adorned with false teeth made from walrus ivory to distract the enemy long enough for the 3 1/2 minute reloading procedure.
    Although lauded by the generals at the time, it resulted in a high amount of casualties and the theft of many sets of ivory teeth.
    Historians have since remarked that this was an early example of product placement on the battlefield, so popular now with the Coca~Cola Battletank.
    Hence the well-known Russian phrase from the Crimean War 'don't fire 'til you see the whites of their Walrusesss'.