Thread: How do I tell

How do I tell

If a stock is walnut? Just picked up a BSA cadet jnr, and a Webley Vulcan, mk1 serial number starting with a 9, which indicates SE model, apart from the humbrol paint bluing and the gloss varnish stock it looks like a restoration could be keeping me busy. Any recommendation for telescope sight would be appreciated too! David

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    If a stock is walnut? Just picked up a BSA cadet jnr, and a Webley Vulcan, mk1 serial number starting with a 9, which indicates SE model, apart from the humbrol paint bluing and the gloss varnish stock it looks like a restoration could be keeping me busy. Any recommendation for telescope sight would be appreciated too! David
    Post a pic, and I’m sure people were will tell you. Since any wood can be stained walnut you need to look at the grain. It is finer and tends to have darker graining elements.

Walunt

Thanks Flint, also had a feeling dampening with water enhances grain on walnut, but not on beech. Looks like the old finish will be coming off anyway, but I'll tackle the metal first, or what's left of it! David

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    Thanks Flint, also had a feeling dampening with water enhances grain on walnut, but not on beech. Looks like the old finish will be coming off anyway, but I'll tackle the metal first, or what's left of it! David
    David beech can look very white when the finish is removed. Very occasionally beech can be difficult to tell apart from walnut but there are usually tell-tale signs. Plain walnut can be quite disappointing too, whereas sometimes beech can be nicely figured. As mentioned, post up some pics and let the BBS tell you what you have!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks Garvin

OK, when it's cleaned up I'll post a picture or two, if I can figure out how to do it! David