Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw77 or hw57 ??

Dont think about it ...get 95 or 95K....
    Break barrel so much more convenient ...ease of loading and easier to work on...
    Of the 2 HW57s ive come across there has been slight suspicsion reg the loading gate alignment not being quite up to the job of a direct barrel fed sporter ....just slight edges in group sizes favouring 99s and 95s to suggest it....but not a great deal in it to be fair....but supposed to be the same gun as the 99 so must be down to this loading feature being my guess ...

Alternatively go for a Diana 34 ....beats all of em for accuracy....latest versions have had big quality control leap after takeover by Steyr ....the Premium a beauty and loving mine

Silver Captain Guest
    I have a 77k in a laminate stock.....22 cal and a really fabulous rifle, one of my goto springers. Wouldn't be without it.....love an underlever. . No brainer!

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Captain View Post
    I have a 77k in a laminate stock.....22 cal and a really fabulous rifle, one of my goto springers. Wouldn't be without it.....love an underlever. . No brainer!
    I love my HW77k too but.... for hulking around a field for hours with for pest control over a 95 ? Nah and I have done both
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. Crosman Ratcher 2250XL .22 AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177

If you want a light weight under lever the choice is rather limited. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Diana 430. Not had one myself but they a definitely lighter than 77/97/tx. I believe the cocking effort is quite high though. Also they will need a bit of a tune out of the box if you want to kill the boing. You already have one of the best sub 12 airguns in the 99. Going for an 80/95/77/97/tx basically just adds weight which you don't want. If you just fancy a new gun, good enough excuse in my book, you could look at a Walther Terrus or as said Diana 34. Atb Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Please dont discount the 57. Very lightweight and an unusual though very effective breech mechanism.
    It may be only "half of the other rifles" mentioned but its actually "all" it needs to be.
    They make full power very easily and when tuned down with a lightweight pellet are really nice to shoot. Cocking is incredibly easy when tuned nicely. Mine is very good.
    Like all HW's they benefit from work on the trigger unit and a set back trigger.
    B.A.S.C. member

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post

Fancy a new rifle.looking at hw77 and hw57 you lads know more than me so in your experiance which do you prefer ?,others i considered were tx200 and hw80 but both heavy.maybe hw77 and 57 are heavy ??,dunno what do yas think ?.rifles will be used for shooting vermin upto 50 yards.
    Not read all the replies to this thread as yet, as am wading straight in, so apologies if what I am about to say has already been said, but imho, for shooting the distance you require (50 yards) under no circumstances give the HW57 any more consideration as it is so significantly inferior to the HW77 (or HW97 if you want to go for a scoped HW) in this regard, that I can't even think where to begin (field tested an HW57 in .177 and an HW57 in .22 by putting several tins of premium pellets through each a decade or so ago, and afterwards, I vowed I'd never waste a single second of my shooting time firing one in preference to either of the aforementioned ever again).

Hope this rant sort of helps (?), and sorry if my opinion offends anyone, but if it does, tough (lol), as it is just that, my opinion, calculated, and based on my own real-time personal experience, and I will not enter into a debate on the subject. Would just like to close by saying however, that 'cosmetics' can count when buying an air rifle, too, and (again imho), so when choosing, don't forget that the HW57 is also pig ugly.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-10-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: to ad the bit about it being ugly :-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Nice one Gareth, that should stir things up a treat...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post

Nice one Gareth, that should stir things up a treat...
    Cheers. Am always 'AIMING' to please (did ya see what I did there?)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Pro Sport is probably the ultimate hunting rifle.

Nice balance and very quiet.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Pro Sport is probably the ultimate hunting rifle.

Nice balance and very quiet.
    compeletely agreeing with that ....i have one ....
    but he was on about mid priced HWs.

Ok lads thanks for all ya comments i read them all,also somone inboxed me a review of hw57 and it wasnt very good,think after reading all comments here and other review i looked at ill give hw57 a miss,it supposed to be the worst hw rifle.thanks again for ya opinions,1st class as always :-)

the hw80 k in .22 nicely balanced and quiet,
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The 57 is an underlever format based around the Hw99, as such it's much lighter than the others mentioned. I would shoulder them and see how you feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I'd go with the 57. The 77 lovely rifle - I've owned a couple in the past - but a real beast to lug around. As already mentioned, the 57 is basically an underlever 99s - light and handy - though you do really need to try both for size, see what suits best...
    could this be the start of an "old but new 99 style revival"? with reams apon reams of 57 threads washing down the general airgun page like the waters of niagra falls???? fashion is such a wonderful thing..., still cant beet a nice 99.. especialy in >>.22<< https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=24&ajaxhist=0
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

i have a 77 with open sights. the lack of a scope aboard makes a big difference to the weight.

Any problem with the pop up loading port?

A.G