Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 pistol change in law

Co2 pistol change in law

Just curious to know who would like to see a change in the law to prevent people using Co2 pistols for shooting live quarry? The reason i ask is that just recently and especially at this time of the year i get asked about Co2 pistols for shooting everything from fox's (yes i have been asked to sell a customer a Co2 for fox shooting) to rats. I personally will not sell a pistol to any one for shooting live quarry be it a rat or fox! Unfortunately most of my customers do not realise that they are not capable of this type of shooting down to the fact they are just not powerful enough/accurate. I have heard all the stories of "my mate shoots them at 30 yds (rats)" or "my old one used to shoot through an oil drum at 20 yds" etc. Now i try to educate the customer but still some will say they want an air pistol or they will go elsewhere. My answer is politely go elsewhere then, but i believe it would be nice just to be able put up a sign backed by law to the effect that it is illegal to shoot live quarry with an air pistol.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see anymore laws brought in for airguns - I think the ones that we have are sufficient as long as the full weight of them are used against those that do wrong.

I know of someone that uses an air pistol to finish off trapped squirrels if need be but, this is at point blank range.

Air pistols are great fun for targets but, I certainly couldn't condone hunting with one. I do feel for you chaps in the industry that have to deal with some of these enquiries.
    To be honest, by trying to educate people and, sometimes refusing the sale, I don't see how you can do any more.

Also, I thought there was already a law about causing unnecessary suffering by using the wrong tool for the job and/or taking silly, chancey shots? (I'm happy to be corrected)
    The trouble is, who's going to know what some of those dipsticks get up to on their permissions.

All of the above.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Oh goody, just what we need, another idea for pointless legislation

There are stupid people out there - fact.
    We breed them in the UK because we legislate to protect them - whereas Darwin would thin them out by their own stupidity!.

And just because some knob claims his mate takes down foxes at 50 yards doesn't make it a valid claim that he's even tried...

However, if the bloke standing in front of you presents himself as irresponsible then you shouldn't sell him a weapon - end off.
    The fact that some other irresponsible retailer might is NOT a reason for legislation.

There is more legislation coming on F2F knife sales for precisely this reason - ie. 80% of test purchase retailers who were happy to ignore existing legislation to make a sale in order to make a profit.

secretagentmole Guest
    Fact, easier to shoot a rat in a trap with a pistol than a rifle.
    Why stop pistols being used to shoot live quarry?
    Do that and then they stop sub 12 rifles...

Say that it will kill trapped vermin, just not stuff that is running about. Hell I used an S2 pistol for rats on glue traps.... Did the job!

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

We breed them in the UK because we legislate to protect them - whereas Darwin would thin them out by their own stupidity!.

And just because some knob claims his mate takes down foxes at 50 yards doesn't make it a valid claim that he's even tried...

However, if the bloke standing in front of you presents himself as irresponsible then you shouldn't sell him a weapon - end off.
    The fact that some other irresponsible retailer might is NOT a reason for legislation.

There is more legislation coming on F2F knife sales for precisely this reason - ie. 80% of test purchase retailers who were happy to ignore existing legislation to make a sale in order to make a profit.
    ^^^^^^^^^This, frankly.
    If only the Government could ban stupidity- that would solve a great deal of issues The real answer of course, is to enforce existing laws and ensure that sentences match the crime.

And we could have hunting with a springer banned, because we all know just how inhumane that is. While we're at it, we might as well ban all sub-12 ft/lb hunting - like most other places. Don't forget spoons too, they make people fat......

Can't really put it any more succinctly than harvey_s has. We have some of the most restrictive laws in the developed world when it comes to airguns - there really is no need to add to them as you can't ban stupidity.

Also echo the above with regards to shooting trapped quarry or the very occasional use of a pistol at under 15 feet inside a loft/attic or such like when there is no alternative. It really is not all that difficult to shoot a quarter inch group with a pistol at 10 feet as some people seem to think it is... yet at the same time it perplexes me that it's considered fair game to use rifles out to 40/45 yards.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

^^^^^ THIS IN IT's ENTIRETY, & WITH EVERY BREATH I DRAW !!! ^^^^^

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Spot on.
    Not only are the general public stupid & ill educated when it comes to shooting but they seem unwilling to learn, and that even seems to apply to some shooters, as shown by people claiming they were unaware of the 2011 airgun safety/storage rules, which were widely publicised at the time.

I've seen someone physically removed from a local RFD after demanding a pistol for pest control, he was first told politely a pistol was not suitable but got arsey so was told to leave & was then "assisted" from the shop.

Rather worryingly my neighbour was sold a sig mcx by a local rfd for ratting. I can't definitely say he asked for something for this exact purpose but it's an inappropriate tool nonetheless

but it's an inappropriate tool nonetheless
    the neighbour or the Sig?
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Beat me to it Inspector!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

Beat me to it Inspector!
    ... and me.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Banning the killing of live quarry with air pistols is dreadful idea. Air pistols have a place in short range dispatch or use in confined spaces. As ever, education and information is the key to promoting good hunting practice. More legislation is not neeeded. Shop customers who express an interest in carrying out unsafe or unethical practices with guns should be told firmly that their intentions are unacceptable and they should be provided with correct information. Refuse to sell them a prouct if they express an intention to use it unethically, illegally or unlawfully.

secretagentmole Guest

Of course this does not help....

https://m.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-...l-set-177/3302

The Chief Twa, sorry Chief Scout, putting his name on something like that....