Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mail slams vigilante airgunners

Mail slams vigilante airgunners

More sensationalist reporting from the Daily fail.

Airgun vigilantes with extremely high calibre weapons are attacking grey squirrels with their kids tagging along for a laugh.
    Last edited by Inspector 71; 15-10-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    What the Hell is an extremely high calibre rifle?

Utter morons!

Edit: It must be a 2.2
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Squirrel anyone?

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 15-10-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Pie

Sign of the times 'fraid .
    Airgun hunting will be so outside it'll be banned .
    Squirrels are tasty mind .

Quote Originally Posted by Wedwivwage View Post
    Daily Mail on it’s high horse.

[/URL]
    you might want to delete the link to the article due to the no links to dead stuff rule .

Si Pittaway will be happy he is in the pics

Grey squirrel hunters have been slammed for creating a sick Facebook group where they boast about stalking and killing the animals.
    The online group Grey Squirrel Hunters UK features hundreds of snaps of mutilated animal bodies alongside details of exactly how they were 'dispatched'.
    Vigilante shooters claim they are doing endangered red squirrels a favour by dealing with their more successful American grey cousins.
    One mother posted about quickly shooting a couple as her children looked on.
    Julie Bailey joked below a snap of the children with a bloodied squirrel and their thumbs up: 'Very pleased with the silence of these two whilst this one got shot.'

Vigilante shooters claim they are doing endangered red squirrels a favour by dealing with their more successful American grey cousins
    Others boasted to the group's 1,800 members that they would eat the carcasses.
    Ste Snowy posted a picture of the animals after he had skinned them and said: '3 from the weekend all ready for the table (not mine though, haha!)'
    The group claims it is a 'place for all grey squirrel hunters to chat, share ideas, stories, photos and log cull data'.
    Almost 2,000 members come from across the UK and many have extremely high calibre rifles.Pictures and video show attackers taunting their prey before blasting them.

Animal welfare laws say it is legal to trap grey squirrels as long as they are killed humanely

Members discuss the best way to kill squirrels - with a shot to the brain or heart.
    Distressing video shows the animals writhing on the floor after being blasted in the head so hard their eyes pop out.
    One shooter - Jason Price - boasted: 'Quick zero. Clocked grey barking up an Oak...pulled the trigger and he took a lead pill and fell to the autumn cover woodland floor with a thump.'
    Others kill female adults - undoubtedly leaving baby squirrels to starve as squirrels have litters in August and September.
    But their red counterparts are lauded, with snaps of them being fed on bird tables regularly put up.

Their red counterparts are lauded, with snaps of them being fed on bird tables regularly put up

The Forestry Commission estimates there are just 140,000 red squirrels left thanks to the ever expanding American grey population, which is thought to stand at 2.5 million
    Animal charities were quick to condemn the behaviour, saying no animal should suffer for a social media post.
    Animal welfare laws say it is legal to trap grey squirrels as long as they are killed humanely.
    But it is unlikely all shots are clean and animal rights campaigners say misses are common.
    Killing greys is also highly unlikely to have any effect on the number of reds, as they are now confined to only a few areas of the British Isles.
    The Forestry Commission estimates there are just 140,000 left thanks to the ever expanding American grey population, which is thought to stand at 2.5 million.

Animal charities were quick to condemn the behaviour, saying no animal should suffer for a social media post

A spokeswoman for the RSPCA said: 'The RSPCA believes that such killing should be done by trained, competent people, so that the animal dies without causing unnecessary suffering'
    A spokeswoman for the RSPCA said the squirrel-killing group was 'distressing' and that video taken by hunters showed squirrels did not die immediately.
    She said: ' While it is legal to kill grey squirrels, it must be carried out in a humane manner.
    'The RSPCA believes that such killing should be done by trained, competent people, so that the animal dies without causing unnecessary suffering.
    'This video appears to graphically demonstrate the suffering that occurs when a squirrel is not killed quickly and cleanly.
    'The RSPCA is concerned about the welfare of all kinds of animals and believes that where control is needed to manage wild animals, control must not be interpreted solely as lethal control.
    'We, along with other organisations, recently published a paper in Conservation Biology, arguing that all wildlife interventions must go through a process whereby all other non-lethal control methods are addressed first and that culling should be the last resort.
    Elisa Allen, director of Peta, added: 'Squirrels are intelligent, social animals who ask for nothing from life but the chance to live it.
    'They should not be callously gunned down for a laugh or social media post.

Almost 2,000 members come from across the UK and many have extremely high calibre rifles
    whats a extremely high calibre rifle ?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 15-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Sign of the times 'fraid .
    Airgun hunting will be so outside it'll be banned .
    Squirrels are tasty mind .
    I don't know, there's a fair few comments calling the article out for what it is - a complete pile of DM s**t!
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Also, it might be idea for someone who has contact with si pittaway, to let him know the DM rag is using his photo which they've surely done without his permission. In case he hasn't seen it.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    Also, it might be idea for someone who has contact with si pittaway, to let him know the DM rag is using his photo which they've surely done without his permission. In case he hasn't seen it.
    with SI putting his pics on a public viewable platform i think he may struggle

he is on youtube loads of times .possibly in a lot of facebook open groups too. he has made himself public . if you want to be private you dont plaster your face all over social media

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    What the Hell is an extremely high calibre rifle?

Utter morons!

Edit: It must be a 2.2
    Must be Looks like a the DM is revving up to support more governmental gun control. Funny how these things just appear when new legislation is proposed Sadly, trophy photos don't help the sport's case. Just gives the antis ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    with SI putting his pics on a public viewable platform i think he may struggle

he is on youtube loads of times .possibly in a lot of facebook open groups too. he has made himself public . if you want to be private you dont plaster your face all over social media
    true but surely you need permission from the owner of a photo before using or publishing it? Unless there's something in the Facebook and YouTube t&C's which allow any party to use your material. I don't know.
    Danny

true but surely you need permission from the owner of a photo before using or publishing it? Unless there's something in the Facebook and YouTube t&C's which allow any party to use your material. I don't know.
    Thats bang out of order they used his pic....if i were him i would be taking legal action now...
    In any event it is illegal ....a) You not supposed to use pictures owned by someone else ( regardless of who is in the picture) and b) must have personal permission if showing a face.
    I can only think Si agreed as there are 2 other individuals with phased out images.?

not sure to be honest .

When is it justified for a journalist use a photo from Facebook?

The BBC Editorial Guidelines and guidance from the Press Complaints Commission both state that journalists should take privacy settings into account when deciding whether to publish a picture. For example, if someone has photos and a profile that anyone can view, it is arguably more acceptable to publish these pictures than if privacy settings limit photos to a closed circle of contacts.

Following a complaint against the Scottish Sunday Express, which in 2009 published a story using photos taken from Facebook, the PCC found the paper had intruded on the privacy of survivors of the 1996 Dunblane school shootings and issued new guidance.

The PCC said: "It can be acceptable in some circumstances for the press to publish information taken from [social media] websites, even if the material was originally intended for a small group of acquaintances rather than a mass audience.

"This is normally, however, when the individual concerned has come to public attention as a result of their own actions, or are otherwise relevant to an incident currently in the news when they may expect to be the subject of some media scrutiny."

The PCC added that journalists must also take into consideration whether a photo is "innocuous and used simply to illustrate what someone looks like" saying in such a case "it is less likely that publication will amount to a privacy intrusion".

For example, if someone has photos and a profile that anyone can view, it is arguably more acceptable to publish these pictures than if privacy settings limit photos to a closed circle of contacts. so as the group is open to the public ,they may be ok to use the pics . i dont honestly know .

and the pics that are blurred may be blurred on facebook too .they may not want the people on the page seeing their faces because of things like this article .i have seen some do it but if you click their name their personal page comes up with their face in plain view

plus they could have named him and not shown his pic . its not a common name so any one that wants to find him could google him.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Si...hrome&ie=UTF-8 as you can see in my link
    Last edited by bighit; 15-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Must be Looks like a the DM is revving up to support more governmental gun control. Funny how these things just appear when new legislation is proposed Sadly, trophy photos don't help the sport's case. Just gives the antis ammunition.
    There isn't any new legislation proposed. Current laws are going to be reviewed only. They appear because the rag that is the Daily Mail employs useless "journalists" that try and drum up stories out of nothing. They do it across all topics not just shooting. They do it because they have a following of utterly stupid and narrow minded keyboard warriors who fall for these types of stories whilst they take a break from reading sh*te about celebrities latest break ups and snaps of them on the beach.

Whatever political party proposes legislation to ban morons will get my vote!
    Danny

The group is a closed one as per most airgun groups on Facebook. It does get spammed rather a lot so it's hardly surprising they managed to pick up a hack (or two).

There isn't any new legislation proposed. Current laws are going to be reviewed only. They appear because the rag that is the Daily Mail employs useless "journalists" that try and drum up stories out of nothing. They do it across all topics not just shooting. They do it because they have a following of utterly stupid and narrow minded keyboard warriors who fall for these types of stories whilst they take a break from reading sh*te about celebrities latest break ups and snaps of them on the beach.

Whatever political party proposes legislation to ban morons will get my vote!
    Ok, so banning .50 and other rifles, stopping internet sales of knives and banning private ownership of "prohibited weapons" isn't new legislation