Thread: hw80 with 30mm piston verses 26mm piston?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If you sleeved the OUTSIDE of an HW95 comp chamber and put some lead in the stock to make up for the back block, would that be equivalent to an HW80 26mm?
    Close, but you'd still need to shorten the stroke, and it doesn't have as much Spring room.. Spring room really helps smooth things.. Remember that 25mm pro elite ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Close, but you'd still need to shorten the stroke, and it doesn't have as much Spring room.. Spring room really helps smooth things.. Remember that 25mm pro elite ?
    Spring room? Owwww I am going to have to think about that really carefully. Shorten the stroke to get a better swept volume to TP volume ratio means there will be less space between the inside face of the piston and the back block to get the spring into... which means ... a shorter stiffer spring than if it had more space? Doesn't the HW95 have the same stroke as the HW80?

The ProElite is an extraordinary rifle. Not sure how it compares in performance terms with an 80 but probably it's by far the nicer rifle and I've never shot anything as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Doesn't the HW95 have the same stroke as the HW80?

HW80 - 80mm. HW95 - 85mm, Alastair?

Unless your name's Mr Gaylord, making the HW95 a 95mm stroke!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

yes (I think it's 86mm, but close ebough)...

And yes Al, if you short stroke by nose extension, you lose that amount of spring room - which is why a sleaved down 80, with about 75-80mm of stroke, with no space-robbing nose extension, is a great shooter.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yes (I think it's 86mm, but close ebough)...

And yes Al, if you short stroke by nose extension, you lose that amount of spring room - which is why a sleaved down 80, with about 75-80mm of stroke, with no space-robbing nose extension, is a great shooter.
    OK I was being thick I was assuming you were short-stroking AS WELL as sleeving the 80 cylinder. It all makes sense now....

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Don't try to make the Weihrauch model numbers MEAN something, that way madness lies ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

I'll tell ya this much - a while ago, when I was alive, I had a MK1 80 (30mm) and a MK1 77K (25mm).

Both .22 cal, both doing 11.5 FPE, both freshly lubed and running fresh HW mainsprings. Shooting them both off-hand, via their iron sights.

Given that they're both around the same weight, by the numbers, the '77 should have been head & shoulders a lot nicer to shoot - yeah?

To be honest - there was very little in it... the '80 had a little bit more felt recoil. But that was it.