Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hw80 with 30mm piston verses 26mm piston?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Im just hoping my reduced bore Pro Elite will be just as good if not better - Im sure it will by the time Steve's worked his magic.

Cheers Steve
    My PE is 25mm... very nice.. I'm sure yours will be too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Close, but you'd still need to shorten the stroke, and it doesn't have as much Spring room.. Spring room really helps smooth things.. Remember that 25mm pro elite ?
    Spring room? Owwww I am going to have to think about that really carefully. Shorten the stroke to get a better swept volume to TP volume ratio means there will be less space between the inside face of the piston and the back block to get the spring into... which means ... a shorter stiffer spring than if it had more space? Doesn't the HW95 have the same stroke as the HW80?

The ProElite is an extraordinary rifle. Not sure how it compares in performance terms with an 80 but probably it's by far the nicer rifle and I've never shot anything as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Doesn't the HW95 have the same stroke as the HW80?

HW80 - 80mm. HW95 - 85mm, Alastair?

Unless your name's Mr Gaylord, making the HW95 a 95mm stroke!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

yes (I think it's 86mm, but close ebough)...

And yes Al, if you short stroke by nose extension, you lose that amount of spring room - which is why a sleaved down 80, with about 75-80mm of stroke, with no space-robbing nose extension, is a great shooter.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yes (I think it's 86mm, but close ebough)...

And yes Al, if you short stroke by nose extension, you lose that amount of spring room - which is why a sleaved down 80, with about 75-80mm of stroke, with no space-robbing nose extension, is a great shooter.
    OK I was being thick I was assuming you were short-stroking AS WELL as sleeving the 80 cylinder. It all makes sense now....

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Don't try to make the Weihrauch model numbers MEAN something, that way madness lies ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

I'll tell ya this much - a while ago, when I was alive, I had a MK1 80 (30mm) and a MK1 77K (25mm).

Both .22 cal, both doing 11.5 FPE, both freshly lubed and running fresh HW mainsprings. Shooting them both off-hand, via their iron sights.

Given that they're both around the same weight, by the numbers, the '77 should have been head & shoulders a lot nicer to shoot - yeah?

To be honest - there was very little in it... the '80 had a little bit more felt recoil. But that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    Mag laza was just bearings added on the standard piston iirc.
    The V-Mach Mag laza is not a standard piston its a new piston made by Steve Pope with delrin rings ,these are more popular on FAC models.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    My venom hw80 vantage is 26mm. Not sure that it could be 25mm. Not taking it to bits to find out!.
    The V-Mach reduced cylinder capacity conversion are 25mm pistons
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Has anyone on the bbs tried the venom hw80 with different piston sizes? How do they compare?
    They designed the 80 as a 30 mm because the 80 is a hunting rifle designed to make 20 ft.lbs. To detune it to the Uk 10.5~11 ft.lbs levels makes a mockery of the gun hence the 25mm reduced versions which are quite tame and nice shooting compared to the detuned 30mm versions.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    They designed the 80 as a 30 mm because the 80 is a hunting rifle designed to make 20 ft.lbs. To detune it to the Uk 10.5~11 ft.lbs levels makes a mockery of the gun hence the 25mm reduced versions which are quite tame and nice shooting compared to the detuned 30mm versions.

A.G
    I've had the pleasure of shooting Jon's sleeved down 80 at the Boinger Bash and yes, it's a super creation, but the standard 80 at 11.5 shoots extremely accurately and quite smoothly when delrin guided with piston sleeve fitted. Agreed, by comparison with an optimally stroked gun, it's a bit lazy, but that may be a matter of personal taste anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    I've had the pleasure of shooting Jon's sleeved down 80 at the Boinger Bash and yes, it's a super creation, but the standard 80 at 11.5 shoots extremely accurately and quite smoothly when delrin guided with piston sleeve fitted. Agreed, by comparison with an optimally stroked gun, it's a bit lazy, but that may be a matter of personal taste anyway.
    I know, most people who own 80s leave them in the cupboard and jolly off with their PCPs. Work-horse? more like ornamental artillery...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I know, most people who own 80s leave them in the cupboard and jolly off with their PCPs. Work-horse? more like ornamental artillery...
    Not this bubba, he don't own no PCP's!

hw 80 30mm piston

Hi I have had my 30mm hw80 a few years and shoot it regularly. it needed a welsh willie kit in it to keep the thing legal but it now shoots very very nice it has a very sharp quick recoil with a noticeable thump with it but it is now an absolute tack driver very close in accuracy to my hw100. A reduced capacity 80 is not a hw80 in my opinion you may as well get a hw95. I think some numpty at hw had fitted a fac spring in my new gun) I ended up throwing the original spring.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Hi I have had my 30mm hw80 a few years and shoot it regularly. it needed a welsh willie kit in it to keep the thing legal but it now shoots very very nice it has a very sharp quick recoil with a noticeable thump with it but it is now an absolute tack driver very close in accuracy to my hw100. A reduced capacity 80 is not a hw80 in my opinion you may as well get a hw95. I think some numpty at hw had fitted a fac spring in my new gun) I ended up throwing the original spring.
    Yes, the naughty 80 can be a struggle to keep the power down, even with standard spring when delrin guided. Had to collapse three coils on mine.