Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hw80 with 30mm piston verses 26mm piston?

hw80 with 30mm piston verses 26mm piston?

Has anyone on the bbs tried the venom hw80 with different piston sizes? How do they compare?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Has anyone on the bbs tried the venom hw80 with different piston sizes? How do they compare?
    Do you mean 26mm vs 25mm ? My own sleeved 80 is 24mm and is quite nice
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm assuming the OP means a "standard" Venom tune (30mm bore) vs Lazaglide reduced cylinder (25mm)?

In that case, yes, I have two 30mm Venom HW80s and a Lazaglided 25mm action in my Kestock Predator.

Now, I haven't actually shot the 30mm ones for donkeys' years, as they're locked away in a cabinet at my dad's a few miles away. I have plenty of others to use and don't have cabinet space for them at home at present. One's a .177 and the other a .22. The .22 was my "go to" hunting rifle for many years and has bagged hundreds of bunnies. Very sweet shooting and easy-to-access accuracy, too. But, remember, I haven't shot it for years. But, although sweet to shoot the 25mm Lazaglide is a little sweeter. Soft but quick and very light cocking effort.

If my only gun was that .22 HW80, I'd still be a happy man and I really must get re-acquainted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

You better go check that they haven't gone rusty
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

My venom hw80 vantage is 26mm. Not sure that it could be 25mm. Not taking it to bits to find out!.

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    You better go check that they haven't gone rusty
    Pretty sure they'll be fine, J.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    My venom hw80 vantage is 26mm. Not sure that it could be 25mm. Not taking it to bits to find out!.
    Now, I could be very wrong here (I often am!), but I seem to remember that all the early references back in the 80s re the HW80 Lazaglide conversion pointed to them being 25mm? The "inspiration", if you like, coming from the HW77 which, back then, sported the 25mm bore.

You have me wondering now....again, like yourself, I won't be stripping mine to find out, preferring to keep the Venom / V-Mach provenance........Maybe I should check with Steve Pope.

I’ve got a 25mm 80, and I’ve got rid of every 30mm 80 I had & will never own another. I think that says it all really 🙂

Think mine might be 25mm then. Just wondering what a 30mm mag laza would shoot like?

Mag laza was just bearings added on the standard piston iirc.

30mm v 25mm

Yes I own both and as per TonyL..The 25mm do shoot sweeter but my maglaza in 25 cal is a joy. Will bring it to the bash in April. The 30mm maglaza is happier at FAC levels but still very nice at non FAC. Mach 1.5

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If you sleeved the OUTSIDE of an HW95 comp chamber and put some lead in the stock to make up for the back block, would that be equivalent to an HW80 26mm?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If you sleeved the OUTSIDE of an HW95 comp chamber and put some lead in the stock to make up for the back block, would that be equivalent to an HW80 26mm?
    Close, but you'd still need to shorten the stroke, and it doesn't have as much Spring room.. Spring room really helps smooth things.. Remember that 25mm pro elite ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    I’ve got a 25mm 80, and I’ve got rid of every 30mm 80 I had & will never own another. I think that says it all really ��
    I took my Mr Pope crafted reduced bore 80 (.177) out yesterday....Sublime.

Im just hoping my reduced bore Pro Elite will be just as good if not better - Im sure it will by the time Steve's worked his magic.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I took my Mr Pope crafted reduced bore 80 (.177) out yesterday....Sublime.

Im just hoping my reduced bore Pro Elite will be just as good if not better - Im sure it will by the time Steve's worked his magic.

Cheers Steve
    I've got one of these. They are fantastic. You'll love it.