Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosin pellets for my Tau 7 please

Help choosin pellets for my Tau 7 please

New to this Disapline have posted and have received excellent replies on other matters deeming with my new to me pistol.But I'm a bit out of my depth with the 3 choices of Jsb match pistol pellets as far as I can make out there are 3 types of flat heads
    Heavy, medium, and light can any one furnish a link where I can get 3 trial/ test packs as I don't realy want to buy 500 of each failing that perhaps some one can state in there opinion which would be good in my
    Tau 7 she will only be shot indoors at ranges of 10m
    And 5meters any help in this matter for a novice pistol shooter
    Thanks from Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

I would just stick with light for pistol, faster fps so cleaner holes in the card. If the pistol is giving a good fps anyway, the differences will be marginal or probably not even noticeable.

Don't swap and charge too many things all at once, it can take quite a while to get used to a new pellet or some adjustment in your grip or technique. I am still trying to educate my thumb that it has no role to play in squeezing the trigger!

Have fun!

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Check this thread re pellets. A few at the club use a Tinbum pellet sizer and get very good results from the RWS Basic at half the price of R10.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....cheap-and-good!

atb

Bri

Bisley practice are a nice, affordable pistol pellet. I use them in all my target pistols.
    I started this life with nothing and I still have most of it left!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    No matter what your standard, its better to know that any error is you, and not the grouping ability of the pellet, the gun, or any other factor, the cost of even the best pellets are the cheapest form of target shooting available. The difference in cost between the best and the cheapest pellets is
    less than 40 pence over a full 60 shot plus sighters match course.

The difference are not just cost, which is minimal, consistency, and barrel fouling is also a factor, and then ultimately accuracy.

That's why I'd always advise to use RWS R10 in the weight and size for your gun.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I would just stick with light for pistol, faster fps so cleaner holes in the card. If the pistol is giving a good fps anyway, the differences will be marginal or probably not even noticeable.

Don't swap and charge too many things all at once, it can take quite a while to get used to a new pellet or some adjustment in your grip or technique. I am still trying to educate my thumb that it has no role to play in squeezing the trigger!

Have fun!

Mark.
    Thank you Mark for your information I dare say I'll have two thumbs to worry about!!!
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFox View Post
    Check this thread re pellets. A few at the club use a Tinbum pellet sizer and get very good results from the RWS Basic at half the price of R10.

atb

Bri
    Tis true! Ive used sized RWS Basic in a variety of pistols, (springer, CO2 and pcp) and have 'brought home the bacon' on many occasions.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Zero58,

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

As Mr. Carter says, the price differential between 'cheaper' pellets and 'top-notch' is not great, so you may as well use the top-notch and not loose any sleep.

Last Friday I bought some RWS Hobby, and some RWS R10 Pistol pellets ; I bought 5000 of each, and this worked out to :

Hobby = 0.89 p/pellet

R10 = 1.5 p/pellet

(The Hobby's were bought exclusively for 'plinking')

So for a 120 shot session, the Hobby's would cost £1.07, and the R10s £1.89 - 80 p more 'expensive' per 120 shot session.

Only you can say whether this is significant.

My Tau7 shoots extremely well with the RWS R10s, and also with the JSB Match (Green, 7.33 gr.), and these pellets are what I use the most in my 'match' pistols & rifles.

The Tau 7 also shoots JSB Express (7.87 gr. 'field' pellets) very well indeed, so you are not necessarily stuck with using only flat headed 'match' pellets.

However, if the pellets are not used for 'critical' applications (target matches, hunting), then shoot whatever you are comfortable with.

I doubt whether any of the pellets from the respected companies (JSB, RWS, H&N) could be deemed truly and absolutely sh!te, so get yourself some RWS Hobby/CO2, and a tin of RWS R10s or JSB Match or Qiang Yuan to compare with, and have a play.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

We shot Tau 7 Match for many years at our club and always found that the RWS Meisterkugeln worked very - no missed shots could ever be blamed on the pellets

The RWS Meisterkugeln pellets are a good price ( less than R10 but more than Hobby or Basics) and could be regarded as a very good choice without breaking the piggy bank
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

In my opinion until you can reliably put all ten shots into the black and preferibly in the 8 ring you are wasting your time worring about what pellets you use. Its not a rifle where a good group is a one hole group.
    If you take the logic of the othe other posters to the extreme I would ask why you are wasting your time with a Tau 7 and not using a Steyr Evo 10e.
    Just enjoy your shooting and concentrate on the your sight picture and trigger release they are 100 times as important as the pellet you use.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I built a bench rest for sighting in when I still had my fwb100.
    https://goo.gl/photos/w6LetmycHe1kLN6E7
    I put a beanbag under the grip when sighting in.. obviously as I had to remove the pistol to cock it, it wasn't perfect, still, using it, I could dial right in on the 10 and the pistol proved it could do one hole groups if I could (which I couldn't 😂! )

I made it from a board of ash and only took about an hour or so to make. The leather was from an old jacket.

You could make something like this to see which pellets are most accurate.

I used r10 and meisterkugeln but preffered the r10. Like Phatman pointed out - it's not a huge difference in cost per session and I just felt that I shot better with r10. Whether that was scientific or all in my head, nobody will know.

I would buy a few kinds and shoot shoot shoot... it will quickly become apparent what suits.
    Donald

JSB Rifle match(yellow). I believe in 4.51. Thats favorite of both my Tau 7 Match and Silhouet.
    For my Tau 7 Jr, its JSB Pistol 4.49 (=green)
    RWS, H&N...waiste of time/money. All were outshot by JSB.
    Havent tried JSB S100 yet in the Tau 7s
    My Tau mk8 only grouped with Qichuan or what are they called. Some chinese matchpellet.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by zpaulg View Post
    Bisley practice are a nice, affordable pistol pellet. I use them in all my target pistols.
    Thank you Sir will do
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFox View Post

atb

Bri
    Thankyou I will check it out
    B.S.A.R Member

[QUOTE=RobinC;7359675]No matter what your standard, its better to know that any error is you, and not the grouping ability of the pellet, the gun, or any other factor, the cost of even the best pellets are the cheapest form of target shooting available. The difference in cost between the best and the cheapest pellets is
    less than 40 pence over a full 60 shot plus sighters match course.

The difference are not just cost, which is minimal, consistency, and barrel fouling is also a factor, and then ultimately accuracy.

That's why I'd always advise to use RWS R10 in the weight and size for your gun.

Have Fun
    Robin[/QUOTE

Thank you for your post very enlightened by your information
    B.S.A.R Member