Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choosin pellets for my Tau 7 please

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    In my opinion until you can reliably put all ten shots into the black and preferibly in the 8 ring you are wasting your time worring about what pellets you use. Its not a rifle where a good group is a one hole group.
    If you take the logic of the othe other posters to the extreme I would ask why you are wasting your time with a Tau 7 and not using a Steyr Evo 10e.
    Just enjoy your shooting and concentrate on the your sight picture and trigger release they are 100 times as important as the pellet you use.
    Thank you for your post
    I did ask on forum in another post about performance
    Of the TAU 7 Bruno and I was told by all that it would be a good starting the Disapline pistol as there was a good one for sale on this forum I brought it to see if this Disapline in shooting would keep me happy if it doesn't I've not lost a great deal of money but I would have if I had brought a pistol the likes of what you quoted.
    On the other hand I can see what you mean why buy two when one is all you need perhaps when I've gained more experience with this pistol I may justify spending out a shed load of money for a top of the range pcp pistol and dive bottle or pump at the preasent time I'll stick with co2

Thank you for you advice
    From Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I built a bench rest for sighting in when I still had my fwb100.
    https://goo.gl/photos/w6LetmycHe1kLN6E7
    I put a beanbag under the grip when sighting in.. obviously as I had to remove the pistol to cock it, it wasn't perfect, still, using it, I could dial right in on the 10 and the pistol proved it could do one hole groups if I could (which I couldn't 😂! )

I made it from a board of ash and only took about an hour or so to make. The leather was from an old jacket.

You could make something like this to see which pellets are most accurate.

I used r10 and meisterkugeln but preffered the r10. Like Phatman pointed out - it's not a huge difference in cost per session and I just felt that I shot better with r10. Whether that was scientific or all in my head, nobody will know.

I would buy a few kinds and shoot shoot shoot... it will quickly become apparent what suits.
    Hi Donld.
    Thanks for your post and photos that's a handsome pistol clamp I bet it works a dream I'm getting my carpenter friend to make me one he doesn't know it yet but it would benifit both of us .
    He pop over last night with is chronograph my tau7
    Over a shot string of 10 using R10 pellets was between 473 and 483 5 of the shots were 475 he said he thought that was pritty good for a c02 would you say it was or do I need to adjust her up or down??

Taken on board pellet information I do have some R10 left about half tin so I've sent away for JSB green
    Tin I also have a few jsb express but they are round heads so lots to do over the week end
    Thanks for posting
    From frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Thankyou to every one who as replied to my post.
    Apologies to any one I've not replied to but I have read all of them more then once.
    I'm going to try to do a pellet test over the weekend will let you all know what happens earlie next week
    Once again thanks to one and all
    From Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

BigEars Guest
    Hobbys aren't pricey and quite clean pellets. I wouldn't worry about pellets too much. I don't think they're the biggest variable for the average shooter.

I don't intend to worry about them until the day I score 540/600. Which will probably be never.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Thank you for your post
    I did ask on forum in another post about performance
    Of the TAU 7 Bruno and I was told by all that it would be a good starting the Disapline pistol as there was a good one for sale on this forum I brought it to see if this Disapline in shooting would keep me happy if it doesn't I've not lost a great deal of money but I would have if I had brought a pistol the likes of what you quoted.
    On the other hand I can see what you mean why buy two when one is all you need perhaps when I've gained more experience with this pistol I may justify spending out a shed load of money for a top of the range pcp pistol and dive bottle or pump at the preasent time I'll stick with co2

Thank you for you advice
    From Frank
    I wasn't really suggesting that there is anything wrong with the Tau 7 or that it wasn't a good starter pistol. I was mearly saying that you don't need match grade hand sorted pellets until you have mastered a good sight picture and trigger control. The tau 7 will out shoot you or myself with most brands of pellets. The cheaper the pellets the more you will shoot and the better you will get.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I wasn't really suggesting that there is anything wrong with the Tau 7 or that it wasn't a good starter pistol. I was mearly saying that you don't need match grade hand sorted pellets until you have mastered a good sight picture and trigger control. The tau 7 will out shoot you or myself with most brands of pellets. The cheaper the pellets the more you will shoot and the better you will get.
    I'm not sure if agree with that. The reason I built my pistol bench rest was so I could test pellets. There was a definite difference between geco, hobby, r10, meisterkugeln, qian yuan and jsb. After testing several 5 shot groups from each, I settled on the r10 and mk for my pistol, and eventually settled on r10 as I got best results with them.

It's not fair to say that cheap pellets shoot just as good as dear pellets, or for that matter that any pellet shoots as good as another. If you don't believe me, get someone to set you a blind challenge and test for yourself.

I can say with confidence that certain pellets won't attain the muzzle velocity that others do and that the consistency in muzzle velocity won't be as good. Also, you may find yourself relegating a quarter a tin of pellets to the plinking pile!

The way I see it, it's a target pistol for getting the best score you can. Don't get into bad habits from the start. Test lots of pellets in your pistol, find the most consistent ones, sort them and shoot them with confidence that you've done the best you can to control whatever variables exist that will bring your score down.

When I was shooting 10m pistol I practised with the dry fire feature and when I shot cards, I tried to shoot as if each was a competition.
    Donald

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Funnily enough, I did some pellet testing on Tuesday evening with my Tau 7 at the range.
    Now granted the gun was just rested rather than clamped in vice (but either way 100% steadier than my normal one handed hold ) but the results were :
    JSB Schak 4.50 , RWS R10 4.49 and RWS Geco all gave almost identical results through my gun with 6-7 shots out of 10 making one big 1p sized hole with a few wanderers just outside.
    Hobby's noticeably opened the group out.
    A friend on the next firing point who was doing the same actually got the worst groups by a long way out of the R10's through his Steyr LP10 which he then repeated in vice and got the same result - so they definitely don't suit all barrels...

Sorry you seemed to ask a question of me in that post so I explained why the best I could here's your question.
    I would ask why you are wasting your time with a Tau 7 and not using a Steyr Evo 10e.

I'm confused I thought it was a question
    B.S.A.R Member

The green jsb tin as arrived and I'm going to my Local
    Club tonight so I'm going to try the jsb green tin flat heads my R10 and two round heads one is jsb express the other is called A Falcon.
    Doe's head size make any difference as on the bottom of jsb green it states 450 🏁??
    B.S.A.R Member

Sorry you seemed to ask a question of me in that post so I explained why the best I could here's your question.
    I would ask why you are wasting your time with a Tau 7 and not using a Steyr Evo 10e.

I'm confused I thought it was a question
    The full sentence read "If you take the logic of the other posters to the extreme, I would ask..."

Note the word "if". It's not a question, but a logical proposition. He is explaining that you don't need to use top grade everything at first, because your margin for error exceeds that of the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    The full sentence read "If you take the logic of the other posters to the extreme, I would ask..."

Note the word "if". It's not a question, but a logical proposition. He is explaining that you don't need to use top grade everything at first, because your margin for error exceeds that of the kit.

Thanks for your reply makes sense now taking in that context
    Hope he doe's not think I'm being rude as I never ment to come over that way
    I went to the club tonight and did a very small amount of pellet testing and to my surprise this session ended with a clear winner a round head called Falcon
    Shot at 10meter rested not clamped
    The holes were not as crisp as a flat head but more of a clover leaf weird or what lots to learn don't you just love it
    From Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Thanks for your reply makes sense now taking in that context
    Hope he doe's not think I'm being rude as I never ment to come over that way
    I went to the club tonight and did a very small amount of pellet testing and to my surprise this session ended with a clear winner a round head called Falcon
    Shot at 10meter rested not clamped
    The holes were not as crisp as a flat head but more of a clover leaf weird or what lots to learn don't you just love it
    From Frank
    The only problem is that the majority of competitive 10m air pistol shooting is conducted under NSRA Rules:

9.2.6 Air pistol pellets. Only flat headed projectiles made of lead or similar soft material are permitted.
    Rutty

Frank,

The Falcon Accuracy Plus domed pellets are made by JSB, and are essentially the same as JSB RS.

The JSB Express are another dome-headed pellet you might want to try.

In my Tau 7, the JSB Match 'Greens' (7.33 gr.) give the best groups, but each pistol has its own preferences.

The only way to find the preference is to test.

(As an aside, I get ca. 470 fps in my Tau 7 with JSB RS - I get around 60 to 70 shots per CO2 caplet with the JSB Greens & RS)

Enjoy shooting your Tau 7 - I think they are lovely pistols

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Last edited by PhatMan; 21-10-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    The only problem is that the majority of competitive 10m air pistol shooting is conducted under NSRA Rules:

Rutty
    Hi Rutty

I'm hear to learn and learn I will thanks for your informative post.
    How strange you find the perfect pellet but you can't use it in most competitive competitions.
    Not to be thwarted I have a cunning plan the jsb green were good and so were the R10s I'll do what Donold did clamp my gun down and shoot some of each for groups then that will be aliminating the idiot behind the pistol ME
    Thanks for your post From frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Frank,

The Falcon Accuracy Plus domed pellets are made by JSB, and are essentially the same as JSB RS.

The JSB Express are another dome-headed pellet you might want to try.

In my Tau 7, the JSB Match 'Greens' (7.33 gr.) give the best groups, but each pistol has its own preferences.

The only way to find the preference is to test.

(As an aside, I get ca. 470 fps in my Tau 7 with JSB RS - I get around 60 to 70 shots per CO2 caplet with the JSB Greens & RS)

Enjoy shooting your Tau 7 - I think they are lovely pistols

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Hi Russ
    I agree with what you are saying test test and more testing
    Just a novice question for you when testing and pistol is clamped down to take me and any of my wobbles out of the piture.
    I would like to do competition at 5meters 10meter and 15 meters would I need to set a testing target at each range or just one target at the advg range of the 3 combined.???
    My pistol as been chronograph at a advg of 475fps
    With 7.00grn pellets thanks in advance.
    The weather here is stormy and very windy will need to get under cover for this testing sheds looking good
    Now where's my heater
    My best regards Frank
    B.S.A.R Member