Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
I have never shot FT, but I do shoot HFT and am a bit confused by this.

I've had a quick look at some rules and FT seems to be:
- smallest kill zone = 15mm to a maximum of 25 yards
- 25mm kill zones to a maximum of 35 yards
- all other kill zones between 40 and 45mm

HFT generally:
- 15mm kills to a maximum of 25 yards
- 25mm kills to a maximum of 35 yards
- maximum kill zone 45mm

(I've ignored positional shots obviously)

So apart from FT going out to 55 yards instead of HFT 45 yards. I can't see how someone with an HFT setup wouldn't do half bad. You just need to learn you extra aim points from 45 to 55y and then range find the same as you would round an HFT course, using holdover instead of adjusting scope (and learn to sit instead of go prone).

Am I way off the mark here? Like I said, I don't shoot FT
Pretty much spot on Dan. In the NEFTA region we have a SFT (Sporting Field Target) class where you shoot a standard HFT rig, in the sitting position and you're allowed to adjust your PX settings for that lane (2 targets in a lane). Course setters will put a 15mm at approx 20 yards along with a 50+ yarder on the same lane so that a SFT shooter has to decide which one he wants to see clear. You are allowed to shoot prone but there's no peg and you must shoot off your elbows with no part of the rifle touching the ground which isn't very stable. When i shoot SFT i find the wind for the extra 10 yards to be difficult to read, my killsize bracketing isn't too bad especially as most targets will be FT 40mm kills. It's a good test and a lot of fun, espacially when you're having a good shoot and the FT shooter you're with is desperate not to be beaten.

If you fancy giving it a go then please feel free to pop up to one of the WL shoots. There's one this Sunday and if you give me a bit of notice i can arrange for us to shoot round together so you get to know the ropes. Drop me a PM mate if you fancy it.......next Sunday is at Pontefract air rifle club but the closest shoot for you might be the Anston (South Sheffield) round on the 7th Jan.