Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New air arms break barrel rifle

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

At the end of the day if somebody like Tony Leach (our old compadre Bigtoe) was running the company then we'd see the changes and also have the 25mm short stroke internals (or smaller knowing him) back in the UK models as he would be pushing the envelope as far as he could and would want to see the customer get what they wanted.

Pete
    To be honest I don't think we would. Most people aren't aware of the costs of what materials a rifle uses in production vs all the other various costs in production and the balance that a product has to make across it's markets. It's all very well coming up with something bespoke that seems better but the reality is that unless it cost a few pence to implement, had only positives overall across all the markets, and there wasn't legacy stock or costs to use up still you wouldn't see the change. The amount of people who even know what size their piston is would be far outweighed but the amount of rifles sold in a month, every month, to people who don't.

A company that employs 10 people at £25k a year, then double that for business costs then that £1/2 million to clear. A rifle that can make £100 on each then thats 5,000 rifles to sell against all the competition out there. About a hundred a week, every week year on year.
    On a £200 rifle then Vat is 20%, shop mark up 20% (if that), production costs, doesn't allow for much left.
    Its business so if they can find an advantage and market I'm sure gun makers are trying.
    Theoben went to the wall for whatever reason, probably because they couldn't sell the quantity of their premium product against the competition. Not exactly a huge operation either, just one medium business unit.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    To be honest I don't think we would. Most people aren't aware of the costs of what materials a rifle uses in production vs all the other various costs in production and the balance that a product has to make across it's markets. It's all very well coming up with something bespoke that seems better but the reality is that unless it cost a few pence to implement, had only positives overall across all the markets, and there wasn't legacy stock or costs to use up still you wouldn't see the change. The amount of people who even know what size their piston is would be far outweighed but the amount of rifles sold in a month, every month, to people who don't.
    According to Tony it would only cost about 50p's worth of metal to lengthen the central piston rod to shorten the stroke (if they go that route), I'm pretty lucky as my Prosport is a very early one that already has the short stroke piston.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    According to Tony it would only cost about 50p's worth of metal to lengthen the central piston rod to shorten the stroke (if they go that route), I'm pretty lucky as my Prosport is a very early one that already has the short stroke piston.

Pete
    Wouldn't even cost that. But material costs are a small fraction of the costs it takes to put a gun in customer's hands.