Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New air arms break barrel rifle

I shoot an early Fenman .177, why would you want to put a spring in it? Gasrams work just fine in these. The pellet doesn't linger too long in the barrel and all in all its pretty well behaved. The trigger on mine is a bit squidge rather than a match type. For a working field rifle it delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    lets not get on the wrong track with the break barrel thing. The primary use of a break barrel is a field rifle. Whatever wear in the lockup may occur would only likely manifest itself years down the line.
    What I was originally getting at was the production of a break barrel (hunter) more suited in size and performance to the UK sub 12 limit.
    It would need to be smaller and lighter than the pro elite, 80 and such or definitely not worth producing as that market is already well serviced.

Its a real shame that a British manufacturer is ignoring the needs of shooters in this country but I do get why.

A break barrel rifle with the design but scaled down proportions of the pro elite would be a wonder of a rifle and i genuinely dont think it will happen, just wish it would.
    i suppose ill have to buy a fenman and convert it to a springer
    I genuinely do not understand this worship of the Pro Elite. Even in FAC it is capable of only a little bit more power than the HW80 which is a better bet in virtually every way. In legal limit the PE is a great big lump and that is why it was a commercial failure and quite sensibly was withdrawn by AA.
    As I wrote before AA don't offer a break barrel because they consider that the market is well served in this segment. I know a lot of shooters on here like the 99 but quite a few don't so for them there is always the HW95. For those shooters harking back to a different age there are the lovely Webley Longbow (made in Birmingham) and the Theoben Fenman (which for me is possibly the best self contained legal limit general purpose air rifle ever made). Especially in .20.
    OK these are no longer made but there are plenty around for those of us who want one.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Here's a poser for those who desperately want an AA break barrel.....would you still want and buy one if it were made to AAs specification but somewhere like China or Turkey to keep production costs down and ensure it was a profitable venture?
    If it was finally supplied to AA for inspection and testing and not just through an RFD then I would give it a go.
    I mean they state all built in UK but aren't the barrels from Walther in GERMANY.
    Graham

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post

I mean they state all built in UK but aren't the barrels from Walther in GERMANY.
    Graham
    Just a nitpick it should be
    LOTHAR WALTHER
    Two different companies

We are picking on AA for not producing a break barrel springer the size of a 99, and tuned to perfection as the 99 requires to be half good. A 99 shop price is £200 but then needs the cost of a tune. Even after tune they cannot match a big heavy underlever rifle for pure ease of consistency. Sure some people can get hem to shoot well, but most of the target market can't or will struggle.

Thats a bit out of order in my book.

I happen to have a highly tuned 95 and its lovely, but it doesn't do any better than my Fenman. Thats because if I do something wrong in hold both can throw a shot further than a head shot on a pigeon.
    Factory out of the box a AA TX or a HW77 style heavy will be less unforgiving. Anything light weight is going to struggle when they do throw a pellet off the group.
    Think I'm repeating myself.

Anyhow, I agree with AA not to do something that isn't already well provided for. The things they do do they do well.

I'm on about one considerably lighter than the pro elite that will produce 11 ft lbs not 22.
    So am I.

It's not producing 12 yet, more like 8-9. But it's significantly lighter. More like a meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    ......and help them go bust too??
    I don't think it was because Webley had some nice looking break barrel rifles that they went bust... I don't know the full details, but i'm sure many factors were involved, including the restrictions on selling online, the recession that happened around the same time etc etc. Lots of UK manufacturers have gone under through no real fault of their own.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by threelander View Post
    Whats wrong with the 99 apart from the cocking arm issue which is a 5 minute job to make right and costs zero £.I know this should be done at the factory before everyone has a go but it isn,t and thats it
    But why isn't it done at the factory? especially like you say that it costs nothing and and takes 5 minutes to fix.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 20-10-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Noooooooooooooo...
    I put a spring in a theoben scirrocco in the early 90's. Far better than it was as a gas ram
    B.A.S.C. member

I almost got a semi when I read the title! Now I'm deflated

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I genuinely do not understand this worship of the Pro Elite. Even in FAC it is capable of only a little bit more power than the HW80 which is a better bet in virtually every way. In legal limit the PE is a great big lump and that is why it was a commercial failure and quite sensibly was withdrawn by AA.
    The pro elite is a dinosaur introduced in the heyday where power was king. Take away its massive power potential (same design but smaller) and a very good quality sub 12 break barrel appears. The pro elite was a big money rifle. I bought my last one one in 2001 from CH Weston aat a cost of almost £400.
    I have fond memories of the PE and wish I'd never sold my last one as it was a top quality rifle but way away from what is actually needed. Quality though is far in excess of anything produced by Herman.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post

If it was finally supplied to AA for inspection and testing and not just through an RFD then I would give it a go.
    Graham
    Not a chance
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    We are picking on AA for not producing a break barrel springer the size of a 99, and tuned to perfection as the 99 requires to be half good. A 99 shop price is £200 but then needs the cost of a tune. Even after tune they cannot match a big heavy underlever rifle for pure ease of consistency. Sure some people can get hem to shoot well, but most of the target market can't or will struggle.

Thats a bit out of order in my book.

I happen to have a highly tuned 95 and its lovely, but it doesn't do any better than my Fenman. Thats because if I do something wrong in hold both can throw a shot further than a head shot on a pigeon.
    Factory out of the box a AA TX or a HW77 style heavy will be less unforgiving. Anything light weight is going to struggle when they do throw a pellet off the group.
    Think I'm repeating myself.

Anyhow, I agree with AA not to do something that isn't already well provided for. The things they do do they do well.
    Not picking on AA at all just wishing they would as they have the ability to deliver a top quality rifle
    B.A.S.C. member

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Not picking on AA at all just wishing they would as they have the ability to deliver a top quality rifle
    So do BSA in theory but they don't, it's all down to cost, what it really needs is a very rich shooter to buy the company who is interested more in producing a rifle than a profit, I'm damn sure if one of the guys on here won the Euro millions (the one with the massive rollover) and they bought AA, then we'd see a lot of different rifles coming out, what you've got to remember is AA started out as an engineering company with nothing to do with the gun industry, they just fell into making guns by accident to keep afloat, so their loyalty lies in making parts for guns, yes it's in their mindset to supply a top quality gun but I don't think it's in their blood, Theoben where the other way round and where willing to push the envelope in the early days but look where it got them and that's what AA are worried about.

At the end of the day, if you want a 99 sized rifle then buy a 99 and spend a bit of cash on it to get it to the spec you want, there's plenty of people who will take your money to do so and whilst they are reworking it get them to put Air Arms on the cylinder

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Looking at Air Arms' huge sponsorship commitments at many events and the attendance of their top people too, like Claire West, I'd say that airguns and our sport are well and truly in the company's blood, Pete.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!