Thread: Walther LG55 vs LGV difference

Walther LG55 vs LGV difference

Whats the difference between those 2 model except the barrel latch?
    If you have a LG55 and LGV with the same stock (tyrolean) is the LGV than so much better recoil/accuracy wise? Or does it have the same internals.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Whats the difference between those 2 model except the barrel latch?
    If you have a LG55 and LGV with the same stock (tyrolean) is the LGV than so much better recoil/accuracy wise? Or does it have the same internals.
    Yana it's a while since I saw anything about this, but IIRC the internal differences only began with the LGV Spezial (straight trigger), which had a two-piece counterwound spring to counteract torque.

For a short period there were LGVs made with Tyrolean stocks, before they were banned in competitions, and I think these first LGVs (curved trigger) differed from the LG55 only in that the LGVs had a barrel latch, as you suggest.

The barrel latch did mean the LGV's barrel weight/sleeve could be heavier, so that may have had a slight effect on recoil/accuracy.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Generally speaking the LGV has the latched barrel with a heavy sleeve, a heftier stock with more added weight and I'm almost certain the piston and seal are different. Walther perfected both models over the years so there are variations on each model and not just the stocks.
    I have never owned Tylorean stocked LG55 and LGV so can't make a direct comparison but the LG/V's evolved to be more refined and to "deaden" recoil by increased weight. So all things being equal, the LGV should have finer manners.
    Smooth as butter.

Yana,

I have a Walther LG55 Tyrolean, and an LGV Olympia.

As far as accuracy goes, there is nothing between them. The shooting cycle is also very similar, and both are sooooo silky and smooth to cock.

The trigger feels about the same. They are both equally 'twangy' to shoot

Due to the extremely heavy barrel sleeve, the LGV Olympia weighs a fair bit more, and is very muzzle heavy.

The LG55, with its medium-weight barrel sleeve is better balanced.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    A bit off piste, here, but I have a Walthar Century in. 177 which I have to say, as with the two Walther models detailed above, is simply superb. So to a question; seeing as how the Walther Century is now no longer produced, would the collective collectors who frequent this here Gentlemans Section now deem said Walther Century air rifle as a collectable, yet ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    A bit off piste, here, but I have a Walthar Century in. 177 which I have to say, as with the two Walther models detailed above, is simply superb. So to a question; seeing as how the Walther Century is now no longer produced, would the collective collectors who frequent this here Gentlemans Section now deem said Walther Century air rifle as a collectable, yet ???
    Err, no. Give it another 20 years at least and we will see.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    It is perhaps a good design, but the Century and its sisters made in the Umarex works are no where near the quality of the old Walther LG55 etc. It's like comparing a BSA Mercury with a Feinwerkbau 300. Collectors no doubt will be after them but not the kind of collectors that like ye olde Walthers.

I know very little about the modern versions but i assume that the well thought out internals on the new LGV is an attempt to replicate the extreme smoothness of the old guns. Obviously, the barrel latch is a further nod.
    Ive always wondered why no other manufacturer can get near the sublime smoothness of the old LGV's. They feel like they have been tbrough the finest tuning house in existance.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post

Err, no. Give it another 20 years at least and we will see.
    Blimey. Best I look after it, then?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

LGV named Verbessen ie improved I believe.
    Has meteor style seal mount
    Ours has HW seal fitted now
    working well

reminds me need to check that adapter. Home fabricated construction so may be unraveling.

The later of these 55s on right has synthetic seal on screwed fitment and slight differences in trigger sear to the older on left.
    Don't know what sealing is on the older one. May have look tomorrow.

Triggers and interlocks are a bit fiddly to dismantle/reassemble but, to me, very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Ive always wondered why no other manufacturer can get near the sublime smoothness of the old LGV's. They feel like they have been tbrough the finest tuning house in existance.
    Totally agree. Over the years Ive shot a very mixed variety of spring rifles from various tuners and the standard untuned LG stands out as one of the smoothest.
    Last edited by I. J.; 18-10-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I already feel my tuned LG55 is very smooth. Very curious about the LGV now.
    I looked at the pics; it indeed looks like the LGV has thicker barrelshroud.
    ATB,
    yana

In addition to the barrel latch the LGV has a hardened steel pin that passes through the breech block to prevent wear and subsequent lateral slop.

Both LG55 & LGV could be purchased with medium or heavy barrel shrouds, they're removeable/interchangeable.

Different stock weights account for further differences in weight/balance. At least two sizes were produced, some in lead others in cast iron.

Had a look inside today. They're the same. Well almost

As far as I know the Century is still in the line up but with the synthetic stocked GT & Thumbhole Varmint.