Quote Originally Posted by phil384 View Post
Thanks guys

Yesterday as it happens I picked up about 400 used carts from a very helpful guy at Gatwick Clay School. Mostly Eley 1st 67mm but a good 100 or so 70mm Lyalvale English Sporter 70mm which I think are the ones I'll use.

I know the Eley 1st are a cheap cartridge. Does that mean they are less suitable for reloading?

As for load, I found a place called Folkestone Engineering Supplies who supply all the stuff I need and also give suggested loads. I'll be looking at the fibre wad, 34g No6. They suggest:

70mm Case
1.7g Maxan CSB3
4mm card
16mm Fibre Wad
34g #6 shot
Star Crimp

I guess if I go for the shorter 67mm carts I'll have to reduce the shot and powder?
The fellow at FE, is a well respected figure known for his expertise and willingness to help. He's best placed to advise you on components for his loads, cart wise. I live at the polar opposite end of the country, yet even I have spoken to the fellow a few times, and bought a few bits and bobs from him.

From what I've gleaned, if a spent cart passes inspection then it should be good to go. Some carts are better than others in terms of reuse and from general observation I've concluded that, at least for 28g loads, 12g carts survive the initial firing much better than .410 How many subsequent reuses you'll get will depend on the cart quality and load.

The load will be the same for the shorter 67mm cartridges, but it might not fit. So some experimentation maybe required to get a handle on the wad makeup etc. to have the 70mm load fit into a shorter cart. But the carts are basically the same thing be they 65 67 70 76 etc. it's just the capacity that alters, there are a couple of different cart types, at least in .410, that require specific data, most european carts are the same type, parallel wall.

Obviously if you alter the shot load wad type you alter the powder accordingly.