Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law on blank firing pistols?

Question Law on blank firing pistols?

Hi knowledgeable peeps of the BBS.

Hoping someone may be able to clarify this one.

The mother in law has in her possession a blank firing pistol which was in amongst her late father's possessions.

It's a Sussex Armoury "Official Police Revolver" in .22. I think I may have owned one of these back in the day.

I did a quick google search just before I logged on to try and get some clarity on the legality of possession.

Maybe, maybe it looks like it is legal to own it as it was produced before the amendments to the VCR act? From what I could tell on this quick search, pistols made after 2006 have to be brightly coloured, but ones made before are okay to own?

If it is legal to own, I'll probably take it down to The Bash to sell for her. It's in its original box, in very good condition and complete with instruction sheet and a small original container of blanks with hardly any of them gone. Guess it's hardly been used.

If legal, is it worth peanuts or slightly more?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Though not definive, pre 2006 ones regularly come up for sale on the secondhand market. I believe its only new ones, or supplied by an RFD that are covered.

Edit: and they come up all the time in auctions, I've bought some! So must be ok
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thank you, Mr Bum.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Blimey. Blast from the past time. Remember them well. FANTSTIC ... I have a nickel Dan Wesson 2.5" barrel Co2 Version of said fabled 'Police Pistol' as Sussex Armoury (the company which became Air Arms) calls it. No idea what value it'd have however, as the linky to the auction doesn't show final value (or at least not that my massively Luddite wibbly.wobblyinterweb skills could uncover lol ), but if pushed, if in similar condition, yours has to be iro £40 (+/-) all day long? If you end up posting it however, investigate the legality of posting the blank rounds, as that may well be a no no? What fun. Thanks for the memory jolt.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thank you for your feedback, kind gentlemen.

And, Gareth, absolutely no fear of posting as I'm definitely old school. Not quite how the kids would describe me, mind!

It'll be going to The Bash next weekend.

Vcr act 2007

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38

It doesn't matter when the item was manufactured.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Thank you for your feedback, kind gentlemen.

And, Gareth, absolutely no fear of posting as I'm definitely old school. Not quite how the kids would describe me, mind!
    You are welcome, and me too. I still think pocket calculators are amazing (lol). Bring back the 1970s.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Wow! My grampa bought me one if these when I was a boy... mine came in a yellow box and had a drawing of the pistol on the outside... I used to play sodgys with it with my pals!! The double action failed after a couple hundred shots due to the monkey metal sear, but what fun... I was about 12 years old!

What a blast from the past! As Gareth says!
    I used to love the Sussex armoury catalogue... that and battle orders and worldwide arms!
    Donald

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I used to love the Sussex armoury catalogue... that and battle orders and worldwide arms!
    I used to live quite close to Battle Orders shop. They used to sell broken airsofts for pennies, we'd buy loads, strip them and make a number of working ones from the parts and then shoot each other til they broke again!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Wow! My grampa bought me one if these when I was a boy... mine came in a yellow box and had a drawing of the pistol on the outside... I used to play sodgys with it with my pals!! The double action failed after a couple hundred shots due to the monkey metal sear, but what fun... I was about 12 years old!

What a blast from the past! As Gareth says!
    battle orders had a shop in edinburgh . it had loads of good stuff .i bought a heavy metal replica beretta 92f from them.

i did buy a 8mm blank firing 1911 from wonderland models in edinburgh. i tried to load two at once . i tried to take it back nd they fobbed me off . i got so cheesed off i took it home again. not sure what happend to it and the 92f.

the battle orders shop did not last long if i remember right.

i had a .357 .22 blank firing pistol too. i traded it in and some other things for a air arms Hi-power from bostons pawn shop on leith walk. i swapped a crosman 1377 for the .357. not sure on the make of the .357 . i was 17 when i got it .
    Last edited by bighit; 18-10-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Wonderland is still there BH
    https://www.wonderlandairguns.com/air-guns/rifles
    I pass it quite regular with work but have never been in!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Zummerset View Post
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38

It doesn't matter when the item was manufactured.
    Obviously the law is full of contradictions, because an RIF (Realistic imitation firearm) if understood only as per the contents of that page in isolation could also include the multitude of Co2 replicas, which are not considered RIFs. So, neither are blank firers.

Crazy I know. An RIF is an RIF only if it's not actually something else which might actually fire something, in which case it's OK
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Wonderland is still there BH
    https://www.wonderlandairguns.com/air-guns/rifles
    I pass it quite regular with work but have never been in!
    sorry i meant battle orders shop not wonderland .

my mates brother supplied battle orders with swords .john barnett swords . my mate is johns younger brother . a fair few places sells his swords . battle orders used to sell them in the edinburgh shop. https://www.battleorders.co.uk/colle...John%20Barnett
    Last edited by bighit; 18-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Quite simple really.

Front venting Illegal.

Side or top venting Legal.
    Never rub another mans rhubarb.