Thread: Scope Crossover

Scope Crossover

Hi all well I've just put a new set of Sportsmatch mounts on the gun ( TO6C ) you know the proper one's for my R10 and I seem to have a bit of crossover bang on at 35yd but the near zero it is shooting left about 1/2"-3/4" any idea's how I correct it.....cheers

Mick

how do you want to correct a bent barrel or a curved pellet trajectory by adjusting a scope? on a hw100 i would say index/turn the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    how do you want to correct a bent barrel or a curved pellet trajectory by adjusting a scope? on a hw100 i would say index/turn the barrel
    WTH are you on about?

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mick.c View Post
    Hi all well I've just put a new set of Sportsmatch mounts on the gun ( TO6C ) you know the proper one's for my R10 and I seem to have a bit of crossover bang on at 35yd but the near zero it is shooting left about 1/2"-3/4" any idea's how I correct it.....cheers

Mick
    Hi Mick
    I think Krisco was suggesting something other than crossover at fault.
    If the mounts are sitting central above the breech (not canted), the scope is mounted straight and you are holding the rifle straight when shooting, I'd either suggest parallax error or clipping of silencer being the fault. What distance is your near zero ?
    B.A.S.C. member

Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Hi Mick
    I think Krisco was suggesting something other than crossover at fault.
    If the mounts are sitting central above the breech (not canted), the scope is mounted straight and you are holding the rifle straight when shooting, I'd either suggest parallax error or clipping of silencer being the fault. What distance is your near zero ?
    Hi Rob my near zero is 11.6 my far zero is 33yd the mounts are supposed to be for the R10 so their no cheap one's

Mick

i was saying that perhaps you are just working around a problem. with messing around the scope and mounts.

you can try self centering bkl mounts, i bet it will still not shoot straight.

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    i was saying that perhaps you are just working around a problem. with messing around the scope and mounts.

you can try self centering bkl mounts, i bet it will still not shoot straight.
    Well it shot ok with some crappy Hawke mounts that I doctored I would still be using them but they looked horrible

Mick

As oft explained (and you can explain to yourself using a piece of paper and a ruler) for all practical purposes crossover is mythical. Cant, on the other hand, is not. It's quite shocking, when first installing a spirit level to a gun, to note just how completely and utterly useless we are at judging the vertical when one's head is held at an angle wrapped around a stock - indeed, the vertical feels really "wrong".

Not to forget other things that may come into play like PX error, and zoom-wandering-zero error which can all conspire to change POI at different distances.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by mick.c View Post

Mick
    1/2-3/4" out from 11yds to 35yds is a hell of a lot, if it was the scope mounts you'd be able to see that much off just by looking at them

First thing I'd try is once the target is out use a spirit level to draw an exactly horizontal &/or vertical line on the target & line them up with the reticle when shooting to eliminate cant.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    1/2-3/4" out from 11yds to 35yds is a hell of a lot, if it was the scope mounts you'd be able to see that much off just by looking at them
    Hi bear
    First thing I'd try is once the target is out use a spirit level to draw an exactly horizontal &/or vertical line on the target & line them up with the reticle when shooting to eliminate cant.
    All good advice it happened to me I phoned hawke up and asked them I was told to wind out fully both scope turrets all the way out and all the way back do this to both turrets on 4th time count number of clicks or turns when you reach the full extent.
    Which was say 90 clicks turn back half way on both turrets aparently it's call centring the scope it worked for me p's you will need to re zero after this
    The only other thing I can think of would would be we you are zeroed at your given range after adjusting for parlex while looking at cross hairs move your head to right and left if you have parlex scope correctly the cross will remain steady if it moves slightly you have
    Parlex error so adjust parlex till there is no movement when you move your head job done you should get no cross overs
    ATB Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Cross over

Last week a guy had a similar problem, it turned out that the front mount had the clamp plate on upside down. I spotted this when I looked at the clamp vee against the fixed vee on the mount body they were not the same height. Which made the front mount lean off centre when fixed to the rifle, check your mounts.
    mk2 rapid.22

Sorted....didn't know at the time the new mounts that I bought Sportsmatch T06C were about 3mm higher than the old mounts that i'd been using (Medium) and my head wasn't aligned correctly now got the old one's back on been out today to rezero and back to bang on, didn't know how little could throw it out that much....cheers

Mick