Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Information for sellers

If you look at the legislation, it quite clearly says that the Consumer Rights Act, to which the OP referred, does NOT apply to private sales. Therefore, the arguments about who is responsible for the goods is somewhat fatuous.
    In reality, the only comeback you have with private sellers is that they must describe the item properly and not misrepresent them. If an item is misrepresented, then you are entitled to ask for your money back. However, this could be difficult to enforce and your only course of action is the Small Claims Court. So it's still buyer beware!
    In terms of items being damaged or lost in transit, then your recourse is with the carrier and obviously the seller would be the person with proof of postage /collection and the onus would be with them to pursue any claim
    Hope that helps. Best wishes,Mark

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    To give a more real world scenario... How many people would refund a buyer if the item wasn't received? Let's assume it was under £100 and the cost could be reclaimed by the seller.
    Yes, I think more people are stand up and honest rather than the other way around, but guns and scopes worth several hundred are the problem items. I've never posted or bought a gun via post on any forum, but I've posted a couple off other sals sites listed as "I'll post at the buyers expence and risk if you aks me to" - I've always send the cylinder seperately to minimise risk and sent the gun PFE48hr - TBF thye have always got there with no issues.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by mcmj View Post
    If you look at the legislation, it quite clearly says that the Consumer Rights Act, to which the OP referred, does NOT apply to private sales. Therefore, the arguments about who is responsible for the goods is somewhat fatuous.
    In reality, the only comeback you have with private sellers is that they must describe the item properly and not misrepresent them. If an item is misrepresented, then you are entitled to ask for your money back. However, this could be difficult to enforce and your only course of action is the Small Claims Court. So it's still buyer beware!
    In terms of items being damaged or lost in transit, then your recourse is with the carrier and obviously the seller would be the person with proof of postage /collection and the onus would be with them to pursue any claim
    Hope that helps. Best wishes,Mark
    Absolutely. Every so often this theory that the only legal/moral/gentlemanly thing to do is for a seller to take delivery risk is trotted out , and it is absolute cobblers. Sellers are free to agree not to post, to post at their risk, or to post at buyers risk. Buyers are free to decide to buy from the seller on the terms he offers, or not to buy

It is that simple

Personally I would prefer not to post because it avoids the small chance of a mad or dishonest buyer. If a buyer asked me to post I see no reason why I should also take the risk of his preferred way to get whatever it is he wants to buy.

As said before:

If something goes missing, then surely it is the sellers obligation to do the chasing up, as he is the only person able to do so. Just saying "if it gets lost, hard lines" just isn't good enough.

I will add another angle to this.. item posted in good faith to buyers preferred address at work, item signed for by reception but buyers claims not received. Refunded to avoid the bad reputation, but continued to chase up delivery.. actually postie who delivers it fronts up the reception, she gets the buyer in there and he admits receiving it, postie rings me there and then. A quick chat with buyer and my money is sent to me. Benefits to being ex RM but, not every seller is a cheat, not every buyer is honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Absolutely. Every so often this theory that the only legal/moral/gentlemanly thing to do is for a seller to take delivery risk is trotted out , and it is absolute cobblers. Sellers are free to agree not to post, to post at their risk, or to post at buyers risk. Buyers are free to decide to buy from the seller on the terms he offers, or not to buy

It is that simple

Personally I would prefer not to post because it avoids the small chance of a mad or dishonest buyer. If a buyer asked me to post I see no reason why I should also take the risk of his preferred way to get whatever it is he wants to buy.
    nuff said i reckon !!!!
    "The Countback kid always misses peg 1"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

It is that simple

Erm don't want to pee on your post but if you have paid for the carriage it is entirely your responsibility to ensure it gets there. Private sellers beware you can be taken to court and end up with a CCJ.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

You can, of course, put your item(s) into an auction and so avoid all this risk business. Especially as it is now not easy to post pcp rifles.
    Cons: the seller fees, maybe 20% and maybe a minimum charge, and transport to the auction house. Maybe get back less than you want.
    Pros: Easy sell, no hassle posting or dealing with a (possible) buyer. Maybe, if the wind is in the right direction, you will get more than you expect.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    As said before:

If something goes missing, then surely it is the sellers obligation to do the chasing up, as he is the only person able to do so. Just saying "if it gets lost, hard lines" just isn't good enough.
    Yes, I think that's what I said. It's down to the sender/seller to pursue the carrier.
    Best wishes,Mark