Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Information for sellers

Information for sellers

I've seen many sales ads which state postage "at buyers risk"
    The legislation says otherwise:
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-what-can-i-do

Most that say that do stipulate that they would prefer a face to face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is the buyer who decides to risk the post with "their" goods because they cannot meet the sellers standards
    "The Countback kid always misses peg 1"

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistal View Post
    Most that say that do stipulate that they would prefer a face to face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is the buyer who decides to risk the post with "their" goods because they cannot meet the sellers standards
    Absolute rubbish!... No-one is forcing the seller to post the item!
    The only thing getting the item in the post is the desire of the seller to obtain a sale.
    Many start off preferring a F2F and who could blame them, but when no-one wants to drive over to Middle Dogdirt to collect it - the seller has 2 choices : withdraw the item and maybe try again later or accept an offer including postage.
    Either way it's the sellers decision to post and the seller is responsible for the item until its reached the buyer.
    This supported by law.

The only exceptions to this would be a clear acceptance in writing BEFOREHAND by the purchaser that any loss or damage would be theirs to bear or if the buyer arranged their own collection.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The only thing getting the item in the post is the desire of the seller to obtain a sale.
    Many start off preferring a F2F and who could blame them, but when no-one wants to drive over to Middle Dogdirt to collect it - the seller has 2 choices : withdraw the item and maybe try again later or accept an offer including postage.
    Either way it's the sellers decision to post and the seller is responsible for the item until its reached the buyer.
    This supported by law.

The only exceptions to this would be a clear acceptance in writing BEFOREHAND by the purchaser that any loss or damage would be theirs to bear or if the buyer arranged their own collection.
    Correct. I might add that adequate insurance cover for the replacement or refund would be recommended because it is the sellers item until it is received and the purchaser is protected by law.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    This supported by law.

Rubbish! If the buyer wants the gun enough then they will drive, from our home in West Norfolk we have travelled to Manchester (Rapid Mk 1), Gloucester (BSA Super 10), Lake District (Daystate X2) and the Midlands on numerous occasions to buy guns. The simple reason being it is a nice day out and we do not trust the post over much either!

If a seller put "postage at buyer's risk" in advert and an offer was to be made - I would recommend a clear post on thread that any offer to purchase was on the strict condition of sale that the seller was responsible for the goods right up to their delivery in the advertised condition.

I say this because I did once pull up a chap on here about it because it wasn't legal to do so... And he said that he did accept responsibility for safe delivery, however it was the buyer's risk that the item could get lost or damaged and he would only receive a refund - the actual goods were not replaceable.
    Seemed fair enough, if a slightly wonky way of looking at it unless it was an ultra rare collectable (which I don't recall it being).

Surprisingly this doesn't seem to be covered in a sticky... Might well be worth adding a note to one of them covering this perhaps?

I'm glad this has come up. I've often been amazed at adverts where the seller seems to assume that his item is SO desirable that a buyer will move heaven and earth to acquire it. Of course we all want the buyer to do everything. Pay first, drive to pick it up etc etc and that is what happens most of the time. In the case of heavy items and those of exceptional value travel to pick up is clearly the preferred option. However if you do post it is up to you to pack well and post by a method agreed by the buyer.
    If it is any comfort I have posted and received hundreds of items over the years and-touch wood-I have never had any problems with items I have sent.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Rubbish! If the buyer wants the gun enough then they will drive, from our home in West Norfolk we have travelled to Manchester (Rapid Mk 1), Gloucester (BSA Super 10), Lake District (Daystate X2) and the Midlands on numerous occasions to buy guns. The simple reason being it is a nice day out and we do not trust the post over much either!
    All I can say to this is the item has to be really attractive for me to consider driving any real distance. I certainly have done so on many occasions but in every case I have really wanted the item(s) either because the price was so attractive or the item was so desirable. Otherwise I'll deal on the basis that the item is posted by a method mutually agreed. If we cannot agree-which happens surprisingly rarely-I'll just leave it.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    All I can say to this is the item has to be really attractive for me to consider driving any real distance. I certainly have done so on many occasions but in every case I have really wanted the item(s) either because the price was so attractive or the item was so desirable.
    Precisely!

Why is it rubbish?

I did put "BUT when no-one wants to drive over" ... And presumably you aren't buying every gun offered for sale!

I would also suggest that you are in a minority and the majority of people will be put off by distance, time and cost UNLESS the item is rare, high-value or collectable.

I have also driven large distances for the 'right' item on numerous occasions as being in central Norfolk myself we are in the arse end of the country and usually a significant distance away from everything!... But for the majority of my purchases on here the factors above DO play a significant part in my purchasing decision.

and if you can't drive ? i suppose i could pay more than the item is worth and get the train

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    and if you can't drive ? i suppose i could pay more than the item is worth and get the train
    Get your wife, partner, friend to drive! Most people know somebody who can drive and owns a car.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistal View Post
    The goods do not become "theirs" until they are safely delivered in to their hands, until that time they remain the property & responsibility of the vendor &/or the carrier he consigned them to.

Personally I'd be happy to drive a mile per £, so £500 rifle I'd happily drive 250 miles each way to be safe.

i have seen ads where the seller has stated if the items do not arrive then tough shit . or words to that affect .

No responsibility if not delivered.

won't see me buying of this guy . will take your money and say tough poop if it does not arrive .

Get your wife, partner, friend to drive! Most people know somebody who can drive and owns a car.
    all fine and good if it not 500 miles away . cheaper going RFD . that would be my option .

i did however get a friend to drive me almost 200 miles there and back for a .22lr that cost me £50 . the rifle was almost brand new and i totally trusted the seller who is a long standing member on here and he also got an ex army metal detector from me .

would i drive that distance again or further ? depends . if i was making a day or two away holiday maybe .

and i did travel 436 miles to buy .22lr ammunition worth £68 or so . but i was on holiday too
    Last edited by bighit; 21-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.