Thread: Information for sellers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    and if you can't drive ? i suppose i could pay more than the item is worth and get the train
    Get your wife, partner, friend to drive! Most people know somebody who can drive and owns a car.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Get your wife, partner, friend to drive! Most people know somebody who can drive and owns a car.
    all fine and good if it not 500 miles away . cheaper going RFD . that would be my option .

i did however get a friend to drive me almost 200 miles there and back for a .22lr that cost me £50 . the rifle was almost brand new and i totally trusted the seller who is a long standing member on here and he also got an ex army metal detector from me .

would i drive that distance again or further ? depends . if i was making a day or two away holiday maybe .

and i did travel 436 miles to buy .22lr ammunition worth £68 or so . but i was on holiday too
    Last edited by bighit; 21-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.

I suspect some people state at buyers risk in recognition of the fact that no matter how well they pack the item, the compensation on a larger item is limited to £100 (e.g. a rifle via PF48). So there is a small risk of damage/loss putting someone out of pocket. But in the eyes of the law it is the seller who would have to take that loss, unless mutually agreed before the sale. As mentioned the true risk is very low, unless it was inadequately packed in the first place. If the item was worth way over the compensation limit I would look into a F2F (within say 50 miles), if further maybe a half way meet or even maybe RFD-RFD subject to cost/compensation limits. I would not usually travel much further because a punchure could cost a ton, plus fuel and time. Going for one collection ended up with someone writing off my car - so no bargain that day! Can work out well if you can tie it in with existing travel to a nearby area.

Just a thought, the legislation refered to in the 1st post relates to retailers? I'd say that pretty much all "sellers" on here are private individuals and therefore the legislation maybe does not apply

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    I suspect some people state at buyers risk in recognition of the fact that no matter how well they pack the item, the compensation on a larger item is limited to £100 (e.g. a rifle via PF48).
    Exactly this.

PF48 is limited to £100 compensation, if you want anything posted then it is at your own risk, why should the seller have to stump up if it goes missing?

There is also the question of PCP's since they are considered pressure vessels and so prohibited as they are dangerous goods.

As a seller, I will offer anything for sale however I will state quite clearly that as far as insurance goes there is a limit and if a PCP is found and destroyed they are on their own.

I am willing to do an RFD transfer but at the buyers expense, again, clearly stated at the time.

It's up to the buyer if they want to take that risk but FWIW if it was my money I wouldn't.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post

PF48 is limited to £100 compensation, if you want anything posted then it is at your own risk, why should the seller have to stump up if it goes missing?
    Because it's your property and you want to sell it... If you don't want to post it for this reason then don't - simple.

If you can find a buyer happy to waive their rights - that's fine too, PROVIDED you both have this clear understanding before any money is accepted.

PCP's are a different kettle of fish and to my knowledge, there are only 3 legal ways of transfering these : F2F, RFD and a commercial account courier.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Because it's your property and you want to sell it... If you don't want to post it for this reason then don't - simple.

If you can find a buyer happy to waive their rights - that's fine too, PROVIDED you both have this clear understanding before any money is accepted.
    Isn't that the exact same as "at buyers risk", exactly what people seem to have a problem with. And that's exactly what I said in the first place!

[QUOTE=bighit;7362781]all fine and good if it not 500 miles away . cheaper going RFD . that would be my option .

/QUOTE]

Wouldn't really help as how do you think an RFD in Manchester gets a rifle to an RFD in London? Answer: by post, generally PF48 and at your expense.
    This topic comes up so many times with so many members on here objecting to posting. OK the postal service in the UK could be improved but the main obstacles appear to be the unwillingness of a seller- who incidentally pays NOTHING for the sales service here on the bbs- to put themselves out and 2) perceived worry that it will not arrive or will arrive damaged. The facts are-in my experience anyway-is that provided the item is properly packed it WILL arrive more or less to schedule. Of course items can arrive damaged but it really doesn't happen often.
    I will continue to offer posting as an option but of course personal handover AND the opportunity to inspect/try out the item is preferable but not always practicable.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

[QUOTE=Rapidnick;7363636]
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    all fine and good if it not 500 miles away . cheaper going RFD . that would be my option .

/QUOTE]

Wouldn't really help as how do you think an RFD in Manchester gets a rifle to an RFD in London? Answer: by post, generally PF48 and at your expense.
    This topic comes up so many times with so many members on here objecting to posting. OK the postal service in the UK could be improved but the main obstacles appear to be the unwillingness of a seller- who incidentally pays NOTHING for the sales service here on the bbs- to put themselves out and 2) perceived worry that it will not arrive or will arrive damaged. The facts are-in my experience anyway-is that provided the item is properly packed it WILL arrive more or less to schedule. Of course items can arrive damaged but it really doesn't happen often.
    I will continue to offer posting as an option but of course personal handover AND the opportunity to inspect/try out the item is preferable but not always practicable.
    going RFD to RFD has more guarantees i'd assume ? more compensation.
    they have different accounts than the public do.

and it would be boxed up their way and if they were a decent shop it would be boxed up well .
    Last edited by bighit; 22-10-2017 at 04:20 PM.

[QUOTE=bighit;7363699]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    going RFD to RFD has more guarantees i'd assume ? more compensation.
    they have different accounts than the public do.

and it would be boxed up their way and if they were a decent shop it would be boxed up well .
    Any additional compensation would have to be paid for via insurance but I'm sure you are right that the item would be properly packed. For legal limit air rifles by using RFD to RFD all you are doing is increasing the cost of the item. Unnecessary in my view but all are free to differ. Speaking personally I wouldn't contemplate using a RFD for legal limit transfers.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post

Any additional compensation would have to be paid for via insurance but I'm sure you are right that the item would be properly packed. For legal limit air rifles by using RFD to RFD all you are doing is increasing the cost of the item. Unnecessary in my view but all are free to differ. Speaking personally I wouldn't contemplate using a RFD for legal limit transfers.
    RFD's can also post PCP's as they will have the relevant dangerous goods training.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Incorrect I’m afraid.
    It’s pure offer and acceptance.
    Accepting the offer makes it become a specific term of the contract.

Legislation would only apply if a term was not incorporated into the sellers terms of sale.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF