Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
I'm glad this has come up. I've often been amazed at adverts where the seller seems to assume that his item is SO desirable that a buyer will move heaven and earth to acquire it. Of course we all want the buyer to do everything. Pay first, drive to pick it up etc etc and that is what happens most of the time. In the case of heavy items and those of exceptional value travel to pick up is clearly the preferred option. However if you do post it is up to you to pack well and post by a method agreed by the buyer.
If it is any comfort I have posted and received hundreds of items over the years and-touch wood-I have never had any problems with items I have sent.
A round trip from Manchester to London area and back is the equivalent of 10 gallons of petrol with all the mororway hold ups. That will easily add another £55.00 to the cost of the item plus the fact that nowadays unless a peson is well retired there is really no such thing as a weekend so finding a suitable time to arrange the viewing and the sale is another obstacle. I really have no solution to this TBH but I am just highlighting the difficulties of getting from A to B.
I have a small lathe that I am going to sell but even this small lathe with all its accessories weights more than 40 Kilos so pick up really is the only choice .

A.G