Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information for sellers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Does the consumer rights act apply to a transaction between private individuals? It seems to me that a private sale of second hand goods is not a consumer transaction.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistal View Post
    Whoaaaa there...... you actually missed my point if they are the only buyer and cannot collect but insist they will have it only by post then the risk is surely theirs

fyi i recently advertised an as new prosport had folk pm`ing for it to be posted and my reply was errr NO if you want it travel if not it stays in the rack!!
    No, I didn't miss your point at all...it was just plain wrong
    If a buyer insists they will only take it posted then the risk is yours unless...
    A) you get them to agree in writing to waive their rights to be compensated or reimbursed for loss or damage.
    B) they arrange their own collection.

The alternative is stick to a F2F sale as you did, but you've either got to be lucky or to able to offer something worth travelling for...

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalPistal View Post
    Most that say that do stipulate that they would prefer a face to face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is the buyer who decides to risk the post with "their" goods because they cannot meet the sellers standards
    The goods do not become "theirs" until they are safely delivered in to their hands, until that time they remain the property & responsibility of the vendor &/or the carrier he consigned them to.

Personally I'd be happy to drive a mile per £, so £500 rifle I'd happily drive 250 miles each way to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    I've seen many sales ads which state postage "at buyers risk"
    The legislation says otherwise:
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-what-can-i-do
    No it doesn't. That's for commercial sales only. That's why it says 'retailer'. Private sellers are not retailers.

http://www.onlineshoppingrights.co.u...gulations.html

it’s worth noting that the Regulations only apply to consumers that purchase goods or services from a business. The Regulations don’t apply to business-to-business purchases, land sales, vending machine purchases, and purchases made via auctions.

The consumer rights act is nothing to do with it. The sender is the consignor and as a result takes responsibility for the delivery unless contractually agreed otherwise. The minute you post or courier something you accept the terms be it private or commercial.
    Last edited by Rob Edge; 21-10-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: speeling
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk