Thread: 1960s BSA Mk III Teslescope

1960s BSA Mk III Teslescope

I'm preparing a review of early air rifle telescope sights and as can be imagined BSA feature quite prominently. I have examples of all 1960s BSA 'scopes other than the Mk III, which was a British made externally adjustable sight (not to be confused with the 1970s Japanese made Mk 3 4x15).

Does anyone have an example of such a sight for sale. I'd prefer a boxed one but would consider unboxed as well.

Kind regards,

John

I look forward to reading that, I've just fitted a plastic three mag. item to an old Meteor.

Looking at its construction, I'm hesitant to subject it to sharp recoil shock.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I look forward to reading that, I've just fitted a plastic three mag. item to an old Meteor.

Looking at its construction, I'm hesitant to subject it to sharp recoil shock.
    I have a 2 power plastic scope - the adjustments take some getting used to as the sight's image is incapable of being moved, resulting is the crosshairs sitting anywhere but centrally. I guess it is easy to say open sights are more practical but these British made scopes were the first to have been specifically made for air rifles and would have been a unique option in 1959.

I have also tried the plastic Mk 11 on a Merlin and that has the clarity of a fogged up milk bottle! In fairness the 'scope I tried is well used and I also have a boxed one to experiment with 'properly'.

So far, my best results have been with an externally adjustable Milbro/Diana scope on a contemporary Milbro.

Kind regards,

John

Wish me luck,I might even cock,load and fire the resultant combination next week.

A frying pan as a target and back stop,backed up by the old boiler house.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    If it's in good nick, don't worry about mounting the little plastic scope, it'll stand up to the recoil of the Meteor no problem. If you can get it zeroed, they are as accurate as any of the other cheap airgun scopes, but visual clarity leaves "a bit" to be desired. I had one fitted to my Mk2 Meteor for quite a while, but swapped it for a Weaver J4 in Parker Hale rings pretty quickly, once the novelty had worn off. The J4 is in a different league, and much better quality than we've come to expect from modern 3/4" tube scopes.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

D and E marks on the elevation wheel?, it looks as if rodents have had a go at the windage item,so no markings.

Hi
    Not sure if it's the one you're after but I've just e-mailed you photos of my boxed British made BSA air rifle scope - I'd assume it's from the 60's. I would consider selling if you, or anyone else, is interested.

Springfieldm6

Quote Originally Posted by springfieldm6 View Post
    Hi
    Not sure if it's the one you're after but I've just e-mailed you photos of my boxed British made BSA air rifle scope - I'd assume it's from the 60's. I would consider selling if you, or anyone else, is interested.

Springfieldm6
    That is very kind of you. Your scope is a mark I rather than the Mark III I am looking for, so I'm still after a Mark III.

Kind regards,

John