Thread: venom 77k or not

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Do you know the age of it? That'll give you an idea if it's venom or vmach.
    From what I can see it's not a mk1 or 2 as the breech is the wider type of the later versions.
    Also I don't think it's a lazaglide as the cylinder is not blued.
    I could be wrong as I'm only comparing it to mine.
    Rob

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    Do you know the age of it? That'll give you an idea if it's venom or vmach.
    From what I can see it's not a mk1 or 2 as the breech is the wider type of the later versions.
    Also I don't think it's a lazaglide as the cylinder is not blued.
    I could be wrong as I'm only comparing it to mine.
    Rob
    Venom and Vmach did the wider loading port and blued compression tube as options.
    Master Debater

I'm pretty damned sure that's a CS700 not a Venom stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Its is.

And it looks pretty new.

But not all Venom conversions came with a stock.

Only the extra special ones.
    Master Debater

Yeah, but that depends if it's being offered for sale as Venom with Venom stock...

Picture isn't very good - but by the rub marks on the comp' tube - it doesn't look like it's buttoned, neither.

Yeah, but that depends if it's being offered for sale as Venom with Venom stock...

Picture isn't very good - but by the rub marks on the comp' tube - it doesn't look like it's buttoned, neither.
    I think thats grease.

Mine works it way out like that sometimes.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think thats grease.

Mine works it way out like that sometimes.
    Yeah, tricky to tell from a blurry pic - in the hands, you can see at least a bit of one button in the breech cut-out. And see the track from the bottom one when you cock it. And the end of the comp' tube tells you if it's 25 or 26mm...

Apparently, not all glided '77s have a blacked tube...

Like I said though - depends what it's being described as.

See if you can fire, say 10 shots. See what it feels like, the cocking, the right sound of click etc. How did it feel ? Did it group ok ? Then judge all this with the price. Either you buy it or walk away. Simple realy.

it is.

Do you want it to be Venom so you are owning a piece of history ... or because you want it to shoot well?

We are at a point now where it's almost pointless saying something is Venom ... or has a Venom sticker.

They stopped customising rifles decades ago. There will be loads of Venom rifles out there that have since been opened up and had springs replaced and new guides etc. So are they still Venom or now V-Mach or whoever fitted the last spring or whoever supplied it?

Actions will have been swapped for different stocks etc.

Venom themselves did such a variety of tunes. Even the basic stage 1 and Laza tunes kept changing.

So unless someone bought a Venom Laza and then never touched it, and how on earth can you guarantee that, then I don't know how you can be sure a rifle is genuine Venom.

You can open it up and if it has a short spring that basically ends with the main tube with the end block screwed off, a non standard rear guide ( may or may not be fixed to the end block ), a Top Hat front guide, buttons, a green C-Form piston seal ( not the yellow parachute HW one ), then it may be Venom work or internals or it may be V-Mach ( replaced at some point ) , or a kit fitted by someone ( replaced at some point ). That may be a Venom original sticker but who knows if it's still the original Venom internals.

If you just want it to be 'Venom' because that should mean it shoots well, then cock it, shoot it and if it feels good and sounds good and hits where you aim it, then it's ticked all your boxes.
    Last edited by bozzer; 22-10-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Get very similar threads on a guitar forum I go on "Is it genuine " advised to Pull the neck , Look under the scratchplate , what about the switches , pickups genuine ?
    End result is usually " Do you like it , how does it play ?" And really that should be all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    End result is usually " Do you like it , how does it play ?" And really that should be all that matters
    ... and that's it right there ( unless you are a collector and want to own a genuine 'Venom' ).

I'm not sure this is like the antique market where certain original items fetch a huge price.

Maybe some of the stocks that are clearly Venom would put some real value on an old Rifle. I'm not sure about the actions. How much would people actually pay for an action that was believed to be Venom? It's probably not any more than an action with a V-Mach Laza kit in. I fully understand that there is far more to tuning than just lobbing a kit in. I watched the Venom lads do a 77 for me many years ago. Lots of little touches, but if a drop in button kit costs a couple of hundred on top of a basic rifle, then I'd reckon that's about all you are ever going to get for a springer ( outside of any extra a special stocks adds to the value ).

A number of guys on here that salivate over springers ... but no one really pays more than several hundred for the best tuned springer in the finest stock ... or do they?
    Last edited by bozzer; 23-10-2017 at 07:31 AM.