Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: venom 77k or not

Venom action in a brand new CS700 stock.
    I’d say that was Venom blueing but to be honest it could be anyone’s who got a polishing mop and a blueing tank.
    Impossible to tell what’s been done inside unless you strip it (takes two minutes) - could be anything from a PWR LOK spring and guide set to a full lazaglide tune, as Phil said, not all comp tubes were blued - none of the very early ones were. Always makes me smile to hear people saying ‘have you got paperwork to prove it’s a Venom?’ Venom/ac etc ceased trading nearly twenty years back and of all the Venom rifles I or my mates have got or had, two have had original receipts...
    I’d have that back block screwed off right now and see if it’s got a fixed rear guide - if it has, smile.

Cheers, Craig
    Last edited by Craig-P; 21-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

It's a venom it says so on the sticker...so it must be.....

Buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    It's a venom it says so on the sticker...so it must be.....

Buyer beware
    yes beware indeed! the serial number is 1045335 . I have removed the stock and all seems very clean and recently serviced by the look of it, I have taken some pics of the action around the cocking slot area, unfortunately it does not resemble some pics that were sent to me by a fellow member on the forum, I have only fired it twice to see how it compared with a v-mach one I used to have( which had the v mach logo on the loading port cover) that was a quick sharp thud on firing, this one is somewhat slower and softer, I have never fired a standard one so cant compare it with one. anyway pics are here-https://imgur.com/CN3YE7zhttps://imgur.com/LcUOAxN thanks for all the input, looks like I will have to strip it some time to fully check it out

sorry the pictures are crap but its poor light indoors, if I shine a torch on it all I get is glare, so will maybe try in natural daylight -weather permitting !

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I'm pretty damned sure that's a CS700 not a Venom stock.
    it is.

Do you want it to be Venom so you are owning a piece of history ... or because you want it to shoot well?

We are at a point now where it's almost pointless saying something is Venom ... or has a Venom sticker.

They stopped customising rifles decades ago. There will be loads of Venom rifles out there that have since been opened up and had springs replaced and new guides etc. So are they still Venom or now V-Mach or whoever fitted the last spring or whoever supplied it?

Actions will have been swapped for different stocks etc.

Venom themselves did such a variety of tunes. Even the basic stage 1 and Laza tunes kept changing.

So unless someone bought a Venom Laza and then never touched it, and how on earth can you guarantee that, then I don't know how you can be sure a rifle is genuine Venom.

You can open it up and if it has a short spring that basically ends with the main tube with the end block screwed off, a non standard rear guide ( may or may not be fixed to the end block ), a Top Hat front guide, buttons, a green C-Form piston seal ( not the yellow parachute HW one ), then it may be Venom work or internals or it may be V-Mach ( replaced at some point ) , or a kit fitted by someone ( replaced at some point ). That may be a Venom original sticker but who knows if it's still the original Venom internals.

If you just want it to be 'Venom' because that should mean it shoots well, then cock it, shoot it and if it feels good and sounds good and hits where you aim it, then it's ticked all your boxes.
    Last edited by bozzer; 22-10-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Get very similar threads on a guitar forum I go on "Is it genuine " advised to Pull the neck , Look under the scratchplate , what about the switches , pickups genuine ?
    End result is usually " Do you like it , how does it play ?" And really that should be all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    End result is usually " Do you like it , how does it play ?" And really that should be all that matters
    ... and that's it right there ( unless you are a collector and want to own a genuine 'Venom' ).

I'm not sure this is like the antique market where certain original items fetch a huge price.

Maybe some of the stocks that are clearly Venom would put some real value on an old Rifle. I'm not sure about the actions. How much would people actually pay for an action that was believed to be Venom? It's probably not any more than an action with a V-Mach Laza kit in. I fully understand that there is far more to tuning than just lobbing a kit in. I watched the Venom lads do a 77 for me many years ago. Lots of little touches, but if a drop in button kit costs a couple of hundred on top of a basic rifle, then I'd reckon that's about all you are ever going to get for a springer ( outside of any extra a special stocks adds to the value ).

A number of guys on here that salivate over springers ... but no one really pays more than several hundred for the best tuned springer in the finest stock ... or do they?
    Last edited by bozzer; 23-10-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, a nice stock and a nice blueing job add long term value. Some big mods like the breach shims, fixed rear guide, or best of all sleaving (hw80 down to 25mm) clearly have permenant value too.

The insides however really just need to be assessed on the basis of how well the thing shoots. A piston with bearings is much the same whomever did it. Same with comp tube bearings. As said, a spring would be knackered and need to have already been replaced by now - is it as good a fit on the rear guide as the original one ? Is the seal correctly sized now it's been replaced ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'd pay tuned 97 money for it and not Venom money coz it probably isnt
    Old Gits FT springer World champion 2017 & 2018

Forget the name.., what's it worth to you as an hw77? Keep that figure in your head & ask yourself if the venom bit is what you want or not? My 77 cost £325 with dopia lam stock, WTC 1.5-5 2 tins of pellets & a gun bag!! Offsetting the cost of buying a stock & selling a stock + a few cheaper internal mods the gun could essentially be very similar to this rifle that your looking at for around £400-£450. (As a gun & not a venom collector!). Now I guess it's down to what you want., A nice shooting rifle or a "venom" nice shooting rifle..
    I'd say if you want a "venom" nice shooting rifle then walk away unless it has the paper work to prove.. and if you want a "nice shooting rifle" then try it and walk away if it's too expensive!!
    It's all down to perspective & so long as you keep close check on what part is gun & what part is name in your desires and in the cost of the gun, you should be fine
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

What is a good looking rifle that shoots well worth?
    Component parts and obvious work done is the base price.

Taken apart and proved that Venom type work has been done then add a bit. Most tuned rifles go for less than they cost and close to what a new untuned factory rifle would be, so you get a free tune for the second hand part. Custom work is the customer's desire for their dream machine. Much of the cost is their relationship with the custom maker and belief with the the work done. Sure the work can be very obvious with superior work of wood and bluing, but the internals are so less obvious. With Venom there was too few records and too many permutations. Most are therefor best guess as proof is in short supply. Is it a good shoot??
    Much is first impressions with no proof or reason why; my impression of this rifle is its no early Venom. New stock which might have some Venom action or not. Still a good looking rifle.

Like a picture of the moderator and latch. There are a few done, on mine its one of the runs done and marketed by Venom at one time.

So back to my original line.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Venom action in a brand new CS700 stock.
    I’d say that was Venom blueing but to be honest it could be anyone’s who got a polishing mop and a blueing tank.
    Impossible to tell what’s been done inside unless you strip it (takes two minutes) - could be anything from a PWR LOK spring and guide set to a full lazaglide tune, as Phil said, not all comp tubes were blued - none of the very early ones were. Always makes me smile to hear people saying ‘have you got paperwork to prove it’s a Venom?’ Venom/ac etc ceased trading nearly twenty years back and of all the Venom rifles I or my mates have got or had, two have had original receipts...
    I’d have that back block screwed off right now and see if it’s got a fixed rear guide - if it has, smile.

Cheers, Craig
    I and I am sure lots of others have fixed a lot of guides and compression tubes when reblacking guns
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Can you do a few better pics of the cocking lever grip and the front edge of the silencer, where pellet exits.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can you do a few better pics of the cocking lever grip and the front edge of the silencer, where pellet exits.

Matt
    yes mate, will do some pics tomorrow in daylight so hopefully will be clearer, atb tim.