Thread: BSA Cadet major

BSA Cadet major

I need a bit of advice on the breach seal on my Cadet Major please. Has anyone fitted a more modern type seal, something like the HW 80 has ? If so is there someone selling such a thing. Any advice welcome. Thanks

The thing with the Cadet/Cadet Major is they have an angled breech face, and the seal groove is cut concentric to the barrel, not parallel to the face.

This is why the leather seals have to be trimmed to fit and you'll never retrofit a conventional breech seal.

It is possible to fit an O-ring as a breech seal, but the bottom of the groove has to be packed out so the O-ring sits flush with the breech face, if that makes sense?

I've used PU sealant before to fill in the groove, then seat the O-ring before the sealant cures. It's more work but in fairness it makes a far better seal than the original leather one.

Cheers
    Greg

In my Cadet and Cadet Major I fitted leather breech seals but I cannot see any reason why you cannot just use some similar size rubber as a seal or a seal from another rifle providing the dimensions match.

As mentioned above it will have to be cut at an angle to match but still doable.

What about trying some gas rubber pipe? Just an idea.

Totally agree with the GREG.

Ive used leather breech seals in rifles like the BSF55 with poor results. Now I dont bother trying to trim, oil and size the leather ones. I use the right sized 'O' ring and pack the sloping recess with a part one.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Some people have used automotive style silicone hose to good effect

Measure the ID and OD of the hose you need and buy a short length. Will only be a couple of £
    Clean out all of the old breech seal and make sure there's nothing left in the groove
    Insert hose all the way and trim completely flush with the face
    Take hose back out and drop a washer or small o-ring into the groove, then re-fit the hose. This should give enough standing proud to seal well

Haven't tried this myself but I will do on the very next cadet that needs it

Cadet/ Cadet major breech seal

Hello folks, Thank you all for your replies , very helpful and a special thanks to DCL_Dave for your help.