Thread: Broken trigger spring on BSA Meteor MK4

Broken trigger spring on BSA Meteor MK4

Hi!

I have a Meteor that's used for back garden plinking. It's running a standard main spring (the original from the rifle) and other than being stripped, burrs removed and reassembled with some nice lubricant it's standard. The only thing is in the course of the last 2 years it's gone through 3 trigger springs. They seem to snap in the same place and for no particular reason. It's just gone again and before I go and order another from Chambers I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why they keep going. I suppose at most it's only had two tins of pellets through it since the first spring broke and the problem didn't start after I stripped it - in fact it was when the first spring snapped that I decided to give it a good strip, clean and polish.

OK, now I cannot visualise the Meteor trigger set up as I sit here but if the springs are breaking at the same place each time then clearly something is causing it 'at that place'. Can you look at the trigger assembly and watch the spring as you put the spring through its actions? Can this be done without a mainspring in? Is the trigger spring being bent in the same place each time the trigger is pulled? Is the spring sitting correctly such that the coils collapse neatly and do not contort the spring? Is there anything catching on the spring as it is put into 'cocked'?
    Clearly it should not be breaking.
    Another thought: did Meteors have different springs according to model. Are you sure the spring is the right one. A too long spring may become coil bound and distorted during cocking?
    Just thoughts.....
    Cheers, Phil

Maybe, try making a replica out of a suitable gauge of piano wire & see what happens? It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the gun, maybe there's a bad batch of springs out there.