Thread: Trigger finger problem

Trigger finger problem

I know this sounds daft but.....But does any one else find that after a while when target shooting they seem to forget where the release point is on there trigger?? I know it sounds odd but it's happened to me twice now when shooting prone with my Match 54 and finger seems to develop a stutter. I'm figuring it's all in my head as it normally happens after 7 or 8 decent shots on the card and I start to over think it. Has anyone found a way to overcome it if they do suffer with it??

Have you tried dry firing*? I think this is an excellent way to gain familiarity, without the pressure of a shot (eg will it go where I want). Most top shooters trigger quite assertively in prone; they do so consciously when they see the correct sight picture. It's a quick and practised movement, not a jerk.

I think that your nerves are coming out too. Practise will help, as once you realise you can fire more good shoots, you can just get on with the job. I think it's vital not to count your score as you shoot; this doesn't help, and just piles on the pressure. When you 'scope a shot look at whether the location matches your call, and other shots (remember your group can shift, even if your zero was perfect on the sighter). Ignore the scoring rings, except as a quick guide for sight adjustment. If you aren't calling shots, then why? You need to be thinking about this; start by asking yourself "Was the foresight steady, and was the target central". Then think about the recoil, both the direction and the distance. If the muzzle flips in a different direction to normal, the shot may go that way. More muzzle movement often means the shot fell further out.

Also, how is your trigger set up, single stage, or two stage? If it's a two-stage, how long is the first stage, and is there any creep in the second? The first shouldn't be so short you can't feel it, but not long that you can't take it up before you exhale and the sights are on the target. The second stage should not move back as breaks, movement is creep, and unwanted. There is only pressure then the bang; a single stage trigger is exactly the same, although usually heavier for safety. Anschutz triggers are adjustable, so if it doesn't break properly for you, then make it. Get help if you haven't adjusted one before, although pre-1977 triggers are quite simple with only travel distance and sear (creep) adjustment.

Finally is the blade the right distance from your finger? Too long or too short a reach makes it harder to press with the pad at the tip everyone, and to press with consistent pressure, and to press without tensing your arm and shoulder.

*with an empty case or plug in the chamber to cushion the firing pin.
    Last edited by tim s; 22-10-2017 at 08:24 AM.

May vary well be trigger'fear'. Ive had this after accidental discharge; than it takes me a while to trust the trigger again
    can also be caused by trigger set too light
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by RufusRover View Post
    I know this sounds daft but.....But does any one else find that after a while when target shooting they seem to forget where the release point is on there trigger?? I know it sounds odd but it's happened to me twice now when shooting prone with my Match 54 and finger seems to develop a stutter. I'm figuring it's all in my head as it normally happens after 7 or 8 decent shots on the card and I start to over think it. Has anyone found a way to overcome it if they do suffer with it??
    Don't worry it's a old complaint you are to excited having hit 7 or 8 pin head 10 in your subconscious you are screaming I'm going to do it 10 perfect 10s
    So you rush the shot and there it is a 9 or worse 8
    Do 5 at a time if you are allowed get up limber up a bit
    PM me I'll send you the way I do my 10 set targets as the logical way may not suite you
    So yes it's all in your head it can be sorted
    What range you shooting prone?
    Is it scope or open sights ?
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Frank,

Prone is normally shot with aperture sights. Telescopic sights are only permitted in "any sight" competitions, and for training/ammo testing. Open sights, ie post and notch, were obsolete for Smallbore by the 1930s.

Ten bull cards should be shot in one go (assuming no stoppages for emergencies). Taking a quick break on the point won't hurt, but leaving the range to finish at another time is merely curing the symptom not the problem.
    Last edited by tim s; 22-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    Frank,

Prone is normally shot with aperture sights. Telescopic sights are only permitted in "any sight" competitions, and for training ammo testing. Open, ie post and notch, were obsolete for Smallbore by the 1930s.

Ten bull cards should be shot in one go (assuming no stoppages for emergencies). Taking a quick break on the point won't hurt, but leaving the range to finish at another time is merely curing the symptom not the problem.
    Ok take some deep breaths then think I can do this used to work for me playing darts I beat Crafty Cockney and jocky wilson but stress was terrible never beat John Lowe ( A perfect Natural player) God he was the greatest
    I know get back to my pistol practice
    From frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Pausing for a mo won't hurt, but shallow diaphragm breathing is actually more calming than deep belly breathing. It's also important not to fall into the "only one shot to go" trap. I say trap, because you're not thinking about the shot. Rehearsing your shot process is more helpful than a don't-muck-it-up-now attitude.

Prone shooting is naturally a little faster than air pistol as the gun is much more stable, and the position changes little from shot to shot, so your Natural Point of Aim is acquired quickly after loading. However taking every match one shot at a time works for both disciplines.
    Last edited by tim s; 22-10-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks for all the replies!

on a ten bull card I shoot them in a Z then a back to front Z (If that makes sense?). I'm shooting a Match 52 with a two stage trigger and Dioptre sights. I've been shooting for a good few years and this problem has only appeared in the last two months, no change of rifle or equipment.
    I have made the trigger slightly heavier, shortened the travel on the first stage and moved the trigger further back and canted it over slightly so it sits naturally on the pad of my finger.
    I'll see how it goes and report back.

If its a really recent thing and has never happened before it might be worth giving the trigger a clean and lube, i had the trigger on my old match 54 go little 'gummy' a year or so ago - all of a sudden and the symptom was very similar. rgds

Quote Originally Posted by RufusRover View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

on a ten bull card I shoot them in a Z then a back to front Z (If that makes sense?). I'm shooting a Match 52 with a two stage trigger and Dioptre sights. I've been shooting for a good few years and this problem has only appeared in the last two months, no change of rifle or equipment.
    I have made the trigger slightly heavier, shortened the travel on the first stage and moved the trigger further back and canted it over slightly so it sits naturally on the pad of my finger.
    I'll see how it goes and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFixer View Post
    If its a really recent thing and has never happened before it might be worth giving the trigger a clean and lube, i had the trigger on my old match 54 go little 'gummy' a year or so ago - all of a sudden and the symptom was very similar. rgds
    never experienced this but surely when you hit the stop of the first stage the slightest pressure will send the shot on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    never experienced this but surely when you hit the stop of the first stage the slightest pressure will send the shot on its way.
    It's not unknown for the second stage to develop a little creep due to dirt or wear. Then there are triggers that have been misadjusted.