Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Cowboy Remington 1875 Replica Co2 Pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

Excellent choice the antique finish and ivory grips is the one I will get, too .... when they arrive, (I'm a patient person)!
    That's where we may differ slightly, then, coz quite clearly, I am not.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Going back to this thread's starting subject, the Sheridan, I have just had a good look at several fresh images of said Sheridan Cowboy Remington 1875s on line, and am not just saying this because I've since bought a Schofeld in one of the livery finishes I was after, but as I have just noticed that the Sheridan's have 'COWBOY' embossed on them as large as life above the pistol grip (which does nothing to arrest my 'Cap Gun' comment of earlier), unfortunately, as the entrepreneurs of Dragons Den would say: "Sorry, I'm out".

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

In the USA this revolver is marked Remington and 1875 but UK versions have Sheridan and Cowboy.
    I’m guessing this is because in the UK Remington have a marketing deal with SMK and this is a Crosman product.

The UK markings don’t dominate the gun which is a good shooter and a lot cheaper than the 7 1/2 inch Umarex.

I’m not keen on the Schofield lettering on the barrel of that gun but my view is if that’s the way they make them you put up with it or pass.

When you are shooting you don’t normally read the markings on the gun much!

I agree the markings on both guns are far from ideal and are in fact I think poorly considered and almost wide eyed childish.They won't put me off buying either gun,though!

Certainly, there is some boyish cap gun,(to me,charm)about these Western Co2 revolvers and they are after all largely made of the same metal and plastic!

As a kid,(not the Milky Bar one)! I had a nickel plated "Lone Star" cap gun with moulded red plastic grips,which on both sides had steer skulls in relief complete with horns,I loved that gun!

I may even paint a pair of grips red for one of my nickel SAA's! I just love the colour contrast and it'll bring the cap gun I had back to life once again!
    Last edited by mrto; 24-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.

I agree the markings on both guns are far from ideal and are in fact I think poorly considered and almost wide eyed childish.They won't put me off buying either gun,though!

Certainly, there is some boyish cap gun,(to me,charm)about these Western Co2 revolvers and they are after all largely made of the same metal and plastic!

As a kid,(not the Milky Bar one)! I had a nickel plated "Lone Star" cap gun with moulded red plastic grips, which on both sides had steer skulls in relief complete with horns, I loved that gun!

I may even paint a pair of grips red for one of my nickel SAA's! I just love the colour contrast and it'll bring the cap gun I had back to life once again!
    I still have mine. It is one of only two toys from very early childhood to survive (the other being my Teddy). Much of the pistol's nickel has flaked/chipped off the cast gun carcass since new, however, and the grips on mine are more a mottled marble effect red plastic than a pure red, but yes, I still have it, and it still works. I can even remember when my Mum (God rest her soul) gave it to me, too: the spring of '65 after my first ever day at pre-school on my own. Maybe this is why I am drawn to the new genre of Co2 Western-style Cowboy pistols? Any psychiatrists in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I still have mine. It is one of only two toys from very early childhood to survive (the other being my Teddy). Much of the pistol's nickel has flaked/chipped off the cast gun carcass since new, however, and the grips on mine are more a mottled marble effect red plastic than a pure red, but yes, I still have it, and it still works. I can even remember when my Mum (God rest her soul) gave it to me, too: the spring of '65 after my first ever day at pre-school on my own. Maybe this is why I am drawn to the new genre of Co2 Western-style Cowboy pistols? Any psychiatrists in the house?

Yeah,they were great weren't they and amazing you still have yours!In fact,the cap gun manufacturers of our youth exhibited far more imagination in their designs than the likes of Umarex or Crosman seem capable of!

If only Lone Star were still in existence and making co2 bb guns what wonders would they dream up I wonder!lol

After all,it's all imagination and make believe,anyway isn't it!?

Yeah,they were great weren't they and amazing you still have yours!In fact,the cap gun manufacturers of our youth exhibited far more imagination in their designs than the likes of Umarex or Crosman seem capable of!

If only Lone Star were still in existence and making co2 bb guns what wonders would they dream up I wonder!lol

After all, it's all imagination and make believe, anyway isn't it!?
    wot !!! ... You mean 'The Virginian' wasn't real, and I wasn't one of the goodies in a big white hat ??? I think you'll find you are very much mistaken, my fine fiend, very much mistaken indeed !!! (err ... did that psychiatrist ever show up ??? ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

In the USA this revolver is marked Remington and 1875 but UK versions have Sheridan and Cowboy.
    I’m guessing this is because in the UK Remington have a marketing deal with SMK and this is a Crosman product.

The UK markings don’t dominate the gun which is a good shooter and a lot cheaper than the 7 1/2 inch Umarex.

I’m not keen on the Schofield lettering on the barrel of that gun but my view is if that’s the way they make them you put up with it or pass.

Good points (to a degree), all, but whereas the feint scroll script writing on the Schofield (which I actually quite like), could quite easily be polished out and a re-finish applied, the Sheridan COW BOY lettering seems from the photos to be actually embossed, and very prominent, so potentially difficult to mask or ignore, if like me, currently, you are not keen?

I'll bet said Sheridan does shoot superbly, however, as indeed I am hoping the Schofield will, too? ... Think the phrase that I am scrabbling for here, therefore, is each to his own (but knowing me, bet six months down the line I have warmed to the COW BOY embossing, and have an example in my collection, too, lol ).

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 24-10-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: to ad that I bet I end up with a Sheridan, too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

Whoever the jerk at Crosman is who decided these guns would be improved with Cowboy written on them, deserves gelding.

1875 is bad enough, but Cowboy? For God's sake.

People buy these guns partly because they want authentic replicas of famous firearms.

Similarly I would never buy a Swiss Arms or Remington 1911 because of the stupidly large lettering on them.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Be prepared to lose hours of your time as you revisit your childhood. This web site is one of my favourites. How many did you have?

http://www.nicholscapguns.com/
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

[QUOTE=Paul55;7388261]Be prepared to lose hours of your time as you revisit your childhood. This web site is one of my favourites. How many did you have?

Well who would have guessed it !
    And just wasted a half hour of my life!
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post

Well who would have guessed it !
    And just wasted a half hour of my life!
    Don.
    Ditto, but imho, both our half hours were far from wasted (lol). Thanks to Paul55 for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Whoever the jerk at Crosman is who decided these guns would be improved with Cowboy written on them, deserves gelding.

1875 is bad enough, but Cowboy? For God's sake.

People buy these guns partly because they want authentic replicas of famous firearms.

Similarly I would never buy a Swiss Arms or Remington 1911 because of the stupidly large lettering on them.
    I agree. When I saw the first adverts for these they had 1875 (for the American market I was later informed) written on them which I could just about live with, but not COWBOY.
    Totally ruins the image. As said, most folks want authenticity, not cap gun graphics.
    Having a conversation with a mail order/delivery company employee, he told me that several potential customers had expressed this opinion, but to wait a while as Remington were allegedly going to release their own version.
    As an aside, I've been a fan of Westerns since I were a lad and if anyone is interested Manolito Montoya in the "High Chapperal" carries one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Butt View Post

As an aside, I've been a fan of Westerns since I were a lad and if anyone is interested Manolito Montoya in the "High Chapperal" carries one of these.
    Hi Ed Butt and welcome to the forum. Yep there are a couple of us big kid Western fans on here, so you are far from alone (lol). To this end, take a look at gingernut's thread entitled Schofield in this section, particularly post 29 though to 33 (although all posts on said thread make for a jolly good read), and you will see what I mean. Atb: G.

I think the Cowboy writing is a result of Remington having a marketing deal with SMK in the U.K.

Crosman not allowed to sell a product marked Remington 1875 as they do in the USA?