Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Cowboy Remington 1875 Replica Co2 Pistol

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Sheridan Cowboy Remington 1875 Replica Co2 Pistol

Hello all. Am very taken with the idea of owning one of the above Co2 powered .177 BB/pellet firing pistols, but the only livery available at present is nickel finish.

Now although I don't dislike this finish as such (actually have a DW 2.5 barrel in the same which I love), I do find the nickel a little bit 'cap gun' on this model (if you get what I mean ).

This in mind then, I wondered if any of the pistol shooting crew who frequent this here section, would like me, be more inclined to acquire one of these if available in other finishes?

The two finishes/liveries which would see me beating a path to my local RFD to get one would be either a good beep blue with the same crisp white grips as on the nickel (would look lovely), or, as worn by my Peacemaker and Webley Service, an antique finish with a more pale ivory coloured/off white set of grips?

What do folk think ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Funnily enough Gareth, it's the 'cap gun' look that attracted me to the plated SAA I bought as it reminded me of pistols I owned as a kid and wish I'd taken better care of/kept. I've not had a play with the Remington/Cowboy yet and have never been a fan of the under barrel sail design. However, the design has its followers and I certainly would not say no if a fellow club member offered me a go with one.

BTW, I recall you mentioned you had large hands in another post and rejected the Luger design as a result. Have you tried a Beretta 92/M9 clone for size? I am presently playing with/testing a Crosman PDM9B, which shoots pellets as well as ball. It's also a blowback and whilst not as authentic as some other CO2 clones, it is realistic and performs very well. In fact I like it so much, I bought it

Kind regards,

John

You need nickel to be the Milky Bar Kid.

The Schofields should reach us in December.
    If I read right the antique finish is pellet and the nickel bb.
    So you have two reasons not to buy the nickel!

I rather like the Cowboy.
    Shoots as well as the more expensive Umarexs.

Hi again John, yep I certainly do have big mitts, so I will look into that pistol, thank you, and cheers Pat, but as you know, the inner kid in me makes me not so good at waiting patiently, but guess I will just have to this time, as have little choice lol. Atb: G.

Ps. From a 'FUN' perspective, I enjoy my BB shooters in equal measure to my pellet firing pistols, just so long as I keep them in context.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    You need nickel to be the Milky Bar Kid.

The Schofields should reach us in December.
    If I read right the antique finish is pellet and the nickel bb.
    So you have two reasons not to buy the nickel!

I rather like the Cowboy.
    Shoots as well as the more expensive Umarexs.

Low and behold 'tis nearly here!

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...4-5mm-bb/20476

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thank you mrto that is fantastic news and a fantastic link. Looks like I'll be visiting the people at Pellpax imminently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Thank you mrto that is fantastic news and a fantastic link. Looks like I'll be visiting the people at Pellpax imminently.
    Sod that, just phoned Pellpax, and pre-ordered and pre-paid for one to be delivered via their RFD delivery service (under £20, which imho is silly cheap). God bless the BBS and God Bless spontaneity lol. Went for the antique finished example with the ivory coloured grips (the BB shooter livery), rather than the deep blued example with wood effect grips (the pellet shooters livery). What fun. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Sod that, just phoned Pellpax, and pre-ordered and pre-paid for one to be delivered via their RFD delivery service (under £20, which imho is silly cheap). God bless the BBS and God Bless spontaneity lol. Went for the antique finished example with the ivory coloured grips (the BB shooter livery), rather than the deep blued example with wood effect grips (the pellet shooters livery). What fun. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Excellent choice the antique finish and ivory grips is the one I will get,too..... when they arrive,(I'm a patient person)!

ATB.

Excellent choice the antique finish and ivory grips is the one I will get, too .... when they arrive, (I'm a patient person)!
    That's where we may differ slightly, then, coz quite clearly, I am not.

Going back to this thread's starting subject, the Sheridan, I have just had a good look at several fresh images of said Sheridan Cowboy Remington 1875s on line, and am not just saying this because I've since bought a Schofeld in one of the livery finishes I was after, but as I have just noticed that the Sheridan's have 'COWBOY' embossed on them as large as life above the pistol grip (which does nothing to arrest my 'Cap Gun' comment of earlier), unfortunately, as the entrepreneurs of Dragons Den would say: "Sorry, I'm out".

In the USA this revolver is marked Remington and 1875 but UK versions have Sheridan and Cowboy.
    I’m guessing this is because in the UK Remington have a marketing deal with SMK and this is a Crosman product.

The UK markings don’t dominate the gun which is a good shooter and a lot cheaper than the 7 1/2 inch Umarex.

I’m not keen on the Schofield lettering on the barrel of that gun but my view is if that’s the way they make them you put up with it or pass.

When you are shooting you don’t normally read the markings on the gun much!

I agree the markings on both guns are far from ideal and are in fact I think poorly considered and almost wide eyed childish.They won't put me off buying either gun,though!

Certainly, there is some boyish cap gun,(to me,charm)about these Western Co2 revolvers and they are after all largely made of the same metal and plastic!

As a kid,(not the Milky Bar one)! I had a nickel plated "Lone Star" cap gun with moulded red plastic grips,which on both sides had steer skulls in relief complete with horns,I loved that gun!

I may even paint a pair of grips red for one of my nickel SAA's! I just love the colour contrast and it'll bring the cap gun I had back to life once again!
    Last edited by mrto; 24-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

In the USA this revolver is marked Remington and 1875 but UK versions have Sheridan and Cowboy.
    I’m guessing this is because in the UK Remington have a marketing deal with SMK and this is a Crosman product.

The UK markings don’t dominate the gun which is a good shooter and a lot cheaper than the 7 1/2 inch Umarex.

I’m not keen on the Schofield lettering on the barrel of that gun but my view is if that’s the way they make them you put up with it or pass.

When you are shooting you don’t normally read the markings on the gun much!
    Good points (to a degree), all, but whereas the feint scroll script writing on the Schofield (which I actually quite like), could quite easily be polished out and a re-finish applied, the Sheridan COW BOY lettering seems from the photos to be actually embossed, and very prominent, so potentially difficult to mask or ignore, if like me, currently, you are not keen?

I'll bet said Sheridan does shoot superbly, however, as indeed I am hoping the Schofield will, too? ... Think the phrase that I am scrabbling for here, therefore, is each to his own (but knowing me, bet six months down the line I have warmed to the COW BOY embossing, and have an example in my collection, too, lol ).

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 24-10-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: to ad that I bet I end up with a Sheridan, too, lol.

I agree the markings on both guns are far from ideal and are in fact I think poorly considered and almost wide eyed childish.They won't put me off buying either gun,though!

Certainly, there is some boyish cap gun,(to me,charm)about these Western Co2 revolvers and they are after all largely made of the same metal and plastic!

As a kid,(not the Milky Bar one)! I had a nickel plated "Lone Star" cap gun with moulded red plastic grips, which on both sides had steer skulls in relief complete with horns, I loved that gun!

I may even paint a pair of grips red for one of my nickel SAA's! I just love the colour contrast and it'll bring the cap gun I had back to life once again!
    I still have mine. It is one of only two toys from very early childhood to survive (the other being my Teddy). Much of the pistol's nickel has flaked/chipped off the cast gun carcass since new, however, and the grips on mine are more a mottled marble effect red plastic than a pure red, but yes, I still have it, and it still works. I can even remember when my Mum (God rest her soul) gave it to me, too: the spring of '65 after my first ever day at pre-school on my own. Maybe this is why I am drawn to the new genre of Co2 Western-style Cowboy pistols? Any psychiatrists in the house?

I still have mine. It is one of only two toys from very early childhood to survive (the other being my Teddy). Much of the pistol's nickel has flaked/chipped off the cast gun carcass since new, however, and the grips on mine are more a mottled marble effect red plastic than a pure red, but yes, I still have it, and it still works. I can even remember when my Mum (God rest her soul) gave it to me, too: the spring of '65 after my first ever day at pre-school on my own. Maybe this is why I am drawn to the new genre of Co2 Western-style Cowboy pistols? Any psychiatrists in the house?

Yeah,they were great weren't they and amazing you still have yours!In fact,the cap gun manufacturers of our youth exhibited far more imagination in their designs than the likes of Umarex or Crosman seem capable of!

If only Lone Star were still in existence and making co2 bb guns what wonders would they dream up I wonder!lol

After all,it's all imagination and make believe,anyway isn't it!?