Thread: Mounts for my HW100s

Mounts for my HW100s / Advice please

Hi all

I was just wondering what size mounts I will need to fit a scope on to my HW100. The scope that I am going to fit to my HW100 has a 50mm objective lens and a 30mm tube. The mounts that I am looking to buy will probably be BKL or Sportsmatch. I have a feeling that I will need high mounts but I thought It best to check with you guys first,

John
    Last edited by luckymjr; 22-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Hi all

I was just wondering what size mounts I will need to fit a scope on to my HW100. The scope that I am going to fit to my HW100 has a 50mm objective lens and a 30mm tube. The mounts that I am looking to buy will probably be BKL or Sportsmatch. I have a feeling that I will need high mounts but I thought It best to check with you guys first,

John
    I bought an HW100s that came with a Hawke 4-12 x 50 scope on Sportsmatch medium mounts. It only had a 25mm tube and did not have AO which kept the objective bell smaller in diameter.
    I still found the comb too low to provide a decent cheek weld and correct eye alignment with the scope.
    I eventually found that a Hawke Vantage 3-12 x 44sf mounted on Sportsmatch low mounts just cleared the barrel and sat low enough for my alignment.
    The objective bell on the 4-12 x 50 was 57mm or 63mm with the bikini covers in place.
    The new 3-12 x 44sf is 51mm or 55mm with the covers. I did have to grind a groove in the cover to clear the barrel.
    Both scopes have 25mm tubes.
    Hopefully some of those measurements may help with your calculations.
    I suspect that you are correct and will need high mounts but you may need to address the comb height too.
    Best of luck!

Bkl and sportsmatch websites may well have this info on their sites.

If its front parallax then the front end can clask and i often use a fishing coaster so higher mounts saves issues.

And adjustable butt pad are usefull. An adj cheekpiece is essential for me. I would pay extra for the latter. Saves so much aggro.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Bkl and sportsmatch websites may well have this info on their sites.

If its front parallax then the front end can clask and i often use a fishing coaster so higher mounts saves issues.

And adjustable butt pad are usefull. An adj cheekpiece is essential for me. I would pay extra for the latter. Saves so much aggro.
    I agree that an adjustable comb and butt pad helps and installed them on the beech stock of my hw77, which has a very low comb for the open sights fitted to the '77.

However, when I bought an hw100s with a walnut stock, I was reluctant to cut it about, so wanted to find an alternative solution if possible. I did still fit an adjustable butt pad to increase the length of the stock, which allows my cheek to sit further back where the comb is higher. The combination of that with a careful selection of scope specification and mounts provided the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Hi all

John
    You need the mounts that put the scope centre line at the correct height for your face/cheek on your stock, do the eyes closed shoulder of the rifle with a ruler where the scope would be & it will tell you what height you need, if that height isn't enough to clear the mag or the objective clear the barrel, then you'll need to raise the stock comb.

Honestly it's not rocket science to mount a scope at the correct height for the shooter's build/shape .

Thanks for the replies and advice lads

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal