Thread: Meteor modification

Meteor modification

Got a meteor think it’s a mk5.
    Wonderful rifle, heavily tuned by one of our favourite tuners.
    It did however have a bit of a thwack mid cocking when the 2 part cocking lever reversed, and hit the stock.
    My assumption was this was missing the nasty strip of rubber inside the stock, and upon removal of the stock I was right. Remains of the staple as evidence.

A bit of nylon should be a fine replacement, but what?
    In the screw trays I found a plastic number plate screw, so drilled the stock 6mm where the staple was, cut the screw down, and then had to remove a bit of material from the screw head. Perfect. Bit of moly on the head and linkage.

With the action back in the stock, the loud thwack is gone.

Still very happy with my 11fpe meteor.

Ps, no idea why there was an inch of counterbore at the end of the barrel, so cut that off just shy of where the rifling ends. I may take half inch off the butt too.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post

Ps, no idea why there is an inch of counterbore at the end of the barrel, so cut that off just shy of where the rifling ends. I may take half inch off the butt too.
    All the Brum Meteors had the counterbore, it makes them look sexy like a 0.404 Jefferey big game rifle. In those days, many of us could not get out to India or other parts of the empire for proper hunting trips, so we would shoot at toy plastic elephants in the back garden.

Is that a Bowkett Meteor?

It’s a JB Meteor yes, although the B stands for Budd ;-)
    Thanks - Geoff.

I have been lead to believe that the counterbore is there to protect the barrel crown from accidental impact.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Is that a Bowkett Meteor?

The Bowkett Meteors of the 1980's were all fitted with an adjustable hinge bolt, HW style. One jaw was threaded which the oversize hinge bolt tightened into and was locked in place by a screw. Easy to spot. JB told me that at one time he was doing at least half a dozen of these conversions a week so there must still be plenty about. I had one in .22" which nowadays would be considered a little warm. Nobody bothered back then unless you were a naughty boy

Red face

I was given a freebie mk5 Meteor a few weeks ago, It was found by a lady whilst clearing her fathers house after he passed away, Apparently she was horrified when she found it and asked her friend if her hubby (My pal at work!) would dispose of it!!

It's been rather abused being fired whilst the barrle was open which broke the stock completely in two but has been bodged back together by someone that needed new specs!

The shorter cocking links are home made of mild steel and are more bent than Elton and his boyfriend!, The cylinder cap had been hacksawed down for some reason and the foresight smashed!, Seems like it was used as a cricket bat or similar!!

The whole!

Botched stock!

Wavy davy cocking links!

Smashed foresight!

Sawed off rear!

I don't have a clue why the plastic cylinder endcap was sawn down but strangely it shoots OK

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I was given a freebie mk5 Meteor a few weeks ago, It was found by a lady whilst clearing her fathers house after he passed away, Apparently she was horrified when she found it and asked her friend if her hubby (My pal at work!) would dispose of it!!

It's been rather abused being fired whilst the barrle was open which broke the stock completely in two but has been bodged back together by someone that needed new specs!

The shorter cocking links are home made of mild steel and are more bent than Elton and his boyfriend!, The cylinder cap had been hacksawed down for some reason and the foresight smashed!, Seems like it was used as a cricket bat or similar!!

The whole!

Botched stock!

Wavy davy cocking links!

Smashed foresight!

Sawed off rear!

I don't have a clue why the plastic cylinder endcap was sawn down but strangely it shoots OK

Cheers, John
    That is a Cadet Meteor, you can tell because the rearsight holes are there at the end of the cylinder, these were not there on the other 'civilian' models. On the whole it looks like a typical Meteor that has been used to train generations of British Army cadets. You only need spend a few quid and it will be right as rain again. The plastic endcap abbrieviation is very weird, I can only think that it was done to accommodate a sight of some unknown model.

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do to an airgun.