Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respect To Springer Shooters

Respect To Springer Shooters

Took my Prosport to the range earlier today to have a little practice with the LP stock fitted. Guys pushed me to have a go at the mini HFT course they had set up, about 15 targets I think. It was very windy but really challenging and enjoyable. I normally don't bother with the spring powered gun for any serious target shooting but I managed OK, missed 3 targets. I have to be honest and say that I found shooting a springer for HFT quite challenging as with a PCP, at times, I don't even have to think too hard but this beast is different. It demands respect and concentration. So anyone who shoots HFT or even FT with a spring powered gun have my respect.

A.G

springers hft

Went to Wales today also very windy got 51 and come 2nd behind brian heaps , fort airgun club.
    Good day for me .

Usually only shoot springers in FT and HFT - took a pcp out today and shot like a right tool...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post

Usually only shoot springers in FT and HFT - took a pcp out today and shot like a right tool...
    Ditto with an up-lift ... I took one of my springers (my Walther Century .177), and my token pcp (a BSA Tactical single shot .177 Scorpion) out today, and due to the wind, managed to shoot like a 'right tool' with both !!!

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The wind was pretty severe but I can’t even blame that as my mate coped very well with his .22 HW95.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I posted on this in some detail recently.

Basically ... everything that you need to do to shoot a springer accurately, you are forced not to do on a HFT course.

HFT and PCP's are made for each other. HFT and springers ... good luck.

FT and springers ... far more of a chance I reckon.

Out of the 9 National rounds ... 2017 4x qualified, 2016 3x qualified, 2015 4x qualified. Qualified meaning shot at least 6 out of 9.

No recoil shooter has scored a 90% plus in any round in the last 2 years. As courses have tightened up to test top PCP shooters with top end target rifles and scopes, it's a tough life for anyone wanting to use a boinger.
    Last edited by bozzer; 23-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.

We're gluttons for punishment, but it sure is fun, and very rewarding when we squeeze off a good shot😊

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

The wind was pretty severe but I can’t even blame that as my mate coped very well with his .22 HW95.
    Ha ha. Yes I can see that, because as controversial as the following may prove to be for some on here, I have found repeatedly over the years, that in extreme wind (as yesterday most certainly was), that I have had better luck when shooting sub 12ft.lb with .22 than .177, despite the argument that the bigger pellet catches more wind?

Could this be down to the .22 pellet's extra weight punching better through the wind? My get out of jail caveat to note, here, however, is that when it is particularly windy, as yesterday was, notwithstanding when in a competition during the same, when I am only plinking in the wind (as I was on this occasion), sub 12ft.lb, I seldom bother shooting out any further than 35 yards, so the pellet's given momentum is pretty much at it's max between the end of my barrel and the target.

Okay, my battle bowler is on, so feel free to rip me to shreds and blind me with science if you must, but as all the above has been said from the stand point of one who in the main prefers .177 to .22 sub 12ft.lb, you'll have your work cut out to convince me that my physical 'real-time' experiences of favouring the larger cal when shooting through the wind (be it head on, from side to side, or from behind) is flawed, so fill yer boots

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

This happened to me , I was having a bit of a low spell with the springer so shot my lg110 to cheer myself up a bit and did worse !, I think its a physcological thing you think the pcp is a piece of p**s so you forget all your technique, when you shoot the springer any lack of concentration is punished .

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    This happened to me , I was having a bit of a low spell with the springer so shot my lg110 to cheer myself up a bit and did worse !, I think its a physcological thing you think the pcp is a piece of p**s so you forget all your technique, when you shoot the springer any lack of concentration is punished .
    In my limited experience shooting a springer even from a rested position requires a very different approach and technique, consistency is everything in shooting a springer.

A.G

Pah, shooting springers is piss-simple. You just have to look over top of the scope to see the target fall down, rather than watching it go over in the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Pah, shooting springers is piss-simple. You just have to look over top of the scope to see the target fall down, rather than watching it go over in the crosshairs.
    The tricky bit is memorising all the splats from other peoples misses, so when you look back at the target you can work out which one was yours

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    The tricky bit is memorising all the splats from other peoples misses, so when you look back at the target you can work out which one was yours
    Ah, a fellow target shooter! That's exactly what I was trying (and failing) to do yesterday!!

Myself and my shooting partner were also trying to decide which misses "sounded close".
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 23-10-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Ah, a fellow target shooter! That's exactly what I was trying (and failing) to do yesterday!!

Myself and my shooting partner were also trying to decide which misses "sounded close".
    Ooh I haven't tried that yet. Will give it a go this Sunday.
    Sometimes we think the string moved and we wait to see if its just falling over very very slowly. Weirdly hasn't improved our scores yet....

I'm gonna get me a .22 barrel and some of Gareth's wind-free pellets.