Thread: The co2 debate

The co2 debate

I read an article in my Sept/October edition of BASC magazine by Jonathan Young singing the praises of co2 even in cold weather(tested a "Gas Air rifle " at 30 metres against a hard target at 30 metre,s in January 2 % centigrade plus wind chill) Recorded regular hard hits stating some are as good as expensive pcp rifle,s NOW Matt Manning in his book "Hunting with air rifle,s" The complete guide dismiss,s them and does not even give them book space. What does the people on this Great Forum Think these days

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    No one uses CO2 in match shooting any more, and that is indoors and at short range with the most accurate equipment. It used to be used, but air is better.

Too much variation.

I've had a few pigeons in cold weather with an SMK XS501. To be fair, as long as the ranges are sensible, there shouldn't be an issue (even my HW100 drops some fps on a cold night).

The main issue I found hunting with Co2 was counting the shots and knowing whats left - the power seemed to drop quickly near the end of a fill.

All of the above.

Co2 is a valid and very very convenient power source BUT with the exception of some target pistols the quality most of the Co2 guns is poor, the QB series are Chinese copies of what were pocket money toys and the current Crosman Co2 guns are no better.

Ok people have great fun working on these guns, I've had QB's and 2250's and with a ridiculous amount of effort they became accurate and usable.

Yes power does drop off with temperature however the noticeable effect is less than many think but still I wouldn't want to hunt with one in cold weather as the rifle HAS to be set up such that it's under 12fpe when the temperature is higher.

I liked just putting a couple of Co2 bulbs in my pocket and not worrying about charging gear, I believe that Co2 is best in lower powered fun guns like the Umarex (?) leaver action Winchester.

ATB. Ora

I have an SMK CP2 which I bought for ratting upto 25 yards. Perfect for the job.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I had a crosman xt2250 as and used a soda stream bottle to bulk fill it. The soda stream bottle was connected via a paint ball gun hose.

I had motorbike grip heaters on the soda stream bottle connected to a 12v battery. It kept the soda stream bottle hot for a while. Not a high heat . But the co2 still had to go via the hose to the 88grm bottle. So it would get cold again any way.

Did it work any better ? Don't think so.

Co2

CO2 is no problem in cold weather hunting i use to keep my capsules in a small bag with a hand warmer inserted in the pocket

I think CO2 can be a very good option, even for closer range hunting.

10yrs ago I bought a QB78 .22" with better grade stock. It took 2 x CO2 bulbs and gave 50 shots at almost 10ft lbs on a summer day before power dropped. It was a bit agricultural but what excellent value, coming with a basic 4x40 scope & mounts, padded gun case, silencer & targets for little over a hundred quid. Accuracy remarkably good to 30yds with Superdomes. The single shot bolt action robust & user friendly.

I no longer hunted by that time but as a 25yds rabbiter on a summer evening it would've served very well. I sold it to a mate after a couple of yrs and he loved it. I gather these QB78's can be easily, inexpensively tuned & customised. They have quite a following.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I had a crosman xt2250 as and used a soda stream bottle to bulk fill it. The soda stream bottle was connected via a paint ball gun hose.

I had motorbike grip heaters on the soda stream bottle connected to a 12v battery. It kept the soda stream bottle hot for a while. Not a high heat . But the co2 still had to go via the hose to the 88grm bottle. So it would get cold again any way.

Did it work any better ? Don't think so.
    It may not have worked better but I love the ingenuity
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

co2 in the uk is fine even in colder weather as long as you know your zero point and range -temp will lower the pressure but we don't have the same winter to summer variations they have in some countries and power is easily altered to compensate
    most who poo poo them don't know how to tune them for winter and summer shooting and others just don't want the hassle
    to those who do you have a light weight gun that's cheap and easy to work on and in the case of crosmans and 78/79's plenty of after market parts with the cp1 and 2's having custom parts made for them
    many of these cheap guns are easily converted to regulated hpa by the use of paint ball tanks that when fitted can make them perform just as good as any other pcp

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    It may not have worked better but I love the ingenuity
    thanks . had i put the other heated grip pad on the airsource bottle it may have worked but then i would have still had a battery to site somewhere on the rifle .maybe ok if i had used a few 18650 batteries to power the heater .

the grip heater pads are not dear to buy from china on eblag . ones like i used here . .the music is crap and loud so be warned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5nmIWh6BY

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    thanks . had i put the other heated grip pad on the airsource bottle it may have worked but then i would have still had a battery to site somewhere on the rifle .maybe ok if i had used a few 18650 batteries to power the heater .

the grip heater pads are not dear to buy from china on eblag . ones like i used here . .the music is crap and loud so be warned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5nmIWh6BY
    Thanks for that, very neat. The heated handle pads I used to have on my ZZR600 were much thicker and 'velcro-like' than that.

On the OP subject, I use my 2250XL Ratcatcher in winter and it's fine as long as I limit myself to shot count. However, my average evening tally on the rats is probably 5 or 6 so no problem there and a nice light and accurate rifle to cart around.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Thanks for that, very neat. The heated handle pads I used to have on my ZZR600 were much thicker and 'velcro-like' than that.

On the OP subject, I use my 2250XL Ratcatcher in winter and it's fine as long as I limit myself to shot count. However, my average evening tally on the rats is probably 5 or 6 so no problem there and a nice light and accurate rifle to cart around.
    i used to use my crosman for a rabbits .i had a 24" rabbitstopper barrel from SD customs and one of his moderators . it as great for the close range bunnies (up to 25yds) around the farm buildings as it was quieter than the hw80k i used too. nice and light rifle other than the soda stream bottle. i intended it as bulk fill only . fill the 88grm bottle on the rifle . but i ended up leaving the hose connected . this was around 2007 . drilled and tapped the 88grm bottle at the base . (really thick there) and a best fittings one way valve that fitted a remote paintball hose .

soda stream bottle was £2 or so for a full one when you exchanged it in tesco if i remember right . our tip had loads of old ones there . i asked the guys for one and exchanged it for a new one at tesco.

i sold it on here to fund a gun cabinet

The first rifle I bought when starting up again was a Benji AS392 dual power co2,changed it to use 12gm co2 capsules,could not be faulted.I now have quite a few co2 guns and love them for their convenience and accuracy ,easy to work on,light weight hunters.I was lucky enough to acquire an Alros Starfire,this is one of the most accurate rifles I have,temperature changes make little difference in performance,at least not to what I was told to expect by some others,I love um!

It was the QB78 that got me back into air rifles. Cheap to buy, easy to tune to full power, and the modifications possible are endless; Ive made several stocks for them (proud of what I've done for myself, never thought about selling them). Luckily my brother is an engineer, and was able to make delrin seals for it with various transfer port sizes, so I can just change the seal for a larger one to allow for colder weather. All have been tested at various temperatures, so I know which ones to use at different times of the year. Although loud, they're nearly silent when moderated, and they are more accurate than you would think possible for such a low outlay. I can't reccommend them enough to be honest, and although I haven't used one in the field, the fact that you can carry replacement bulba in your pocket, without taking up much space, means that they are an excellent choice.