Thread: RAW HM1000 (a theoben rapid basically)) .20 advice?

RAW HM1000 (a theoben rapid basically)) .20 advice?

Hello all, ive been looking at these rifles for a little while now, as ive always wanted a theoben type air rifle since i was a youngster, but i could not afford it tbh. I have a R10 se bowkett job in .177, and its very good, but i still have a soft spot for the theoben type rifle - and a Rapid Air Weapons (RAW) is apparently what a theoben rapid mk3 would have been like by all accounts? Has any body got any advice on a .20 with this rifle as pellets are a little slim in this flavour, thanks m.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    Hello all, ive been looking at these rifles for a little while now, as ive always wanted a theoben type air rifle since i was a youngster, but i could not afford it tbh. I have a R10 se bowkett job in .177, and its very good, but i still have a soft spot for the theoben type rifle - and a Rapid Air Weapons (RAW) is apparently what a theoben rapid mk3 would have been like by all accounts? Has any body got any advice on a .20 with this rifle as pellets are a little slim in this flavour, thanks m.
    Make sure you try one before you buy one - I fancied one a while ago and found the HM too small, but the TM fitted fine, left it in the end out of shock as I jexpected them both to fit the same - how wrong I was

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    You only need 1 pellet to work so what's the problem
    There may be 100+ different .177 pellets but how many did you bother testing ? probably the same 1/2 dozen that most other people test/use because 3/4 of the choice out there is cheap & nasty cr*p

H&N, JSB, Accupell, Crossman & Bisley between them have more than a dozen quality .20 pellets. My MFR loves FTT's, (it also loves FT's but they're so hard to find I'm not sure if they're even still made) but hates JSB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Make sure you try one before you buy one - I fancied one a while ago and found the HM too small, but the TM fitted fine, left it in the end out of shock as I jexpected them both to fit the same - how wrong I was

James
    Oh really? i guess id better shoulder one first then to try it, but i think he (mt) only keeps the thumb holed hm in stock and not the sporter type, which is the one i wanted to try im not as keen on the TM version though. cheers m

Jesim's advice is spot on. I too fancied one for a while until one of the guys whom I shoot with bought one. I had a go with it and hated it. Solidly built and dead accurate but heavy, agricultural and I am sorry to say felt a bit unrefined for a gun in that price bracket. The same was for the FX wildcat when I had a go with one . I am absolutely sure that they are fine guns but handle one in a typical shooting situation to see how you feel about them.

A.G

have got one in .20 and it shoots spot on with h&n ftt but then again ftt shoot well in every gun!! really nice build quality, have got 4 others in various calibres, pop over to the R7OC there is quite a bit of info on them on there.

Thanks 4 replys, i must admit i do think that the hm sporter stock looks a little bit to thick at the front end and maybe a bit heavy? but its the one that looks more like the theoben style that i like, but i suppose i will have to hold one to try to see if it fits me, so to speak. When i spoke to mt, i think he said he sells nearly all thumb hole stocks and not the sporter? so i will have to travel there to see them. cheers m