Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12ft.lb ... or ... 12 fpe ?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post

Clearly an in joke I'm not party to.
    Lol. Google the Family Guy S&M Bondage Feitish Bedroom scene and listen for the pre-activity code word they agree on to shout, to stop proceedings, if things go too far.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Clearly an in joke I'm not party to.
    Apologies Pete, i was assuming a man of your calibre would have had the Family Guy Boxset.......
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Apologies Pete, i was assuming a man of your calibre would have had the Family Guy Boxset.......
    I don't have any box sets, mate. Not even of the blessed Star Wars

Any decent fan would know the script off the top of their head, and not need a box set
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    pssst....what's your safe word pete?
    harder!!

:d
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Lol.. listen for the pre-activity code word they agree on to shout, to stop proceedings, if things go too far.
    Would Mornington Crescent suffice?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    fpe is ft lb energy int it? Eggzackerly same as 12 ft/lb.
    That was my thought
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

It's understood that the unit of measure is a measurement in energy. To state as much is like saying KmD where the D means distance.
    If it was that obvious to everyone this thread would not exist.

A ftlb can also be a measure of torque .
    Can't say I've ever seen it used in a technical document with either a dot or dash so either ftlb or fpe for me, depending on the context.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Meater View Post
    Why do you see runners and athletes eating bananas then?
    This is true, I've never seen them eating daffodils... Or penguins... That closes the matter then

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Way too much tork on this thread...

seriously though, Tinners is correct, for the reason given:
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've started using fpe a lot of the time as it's easier to type.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Can't say I've ever seen it used in a technical document with either a dot or dash so either ftlb or fpe for me, depending on the context.
    I think that the accepted convention is to use the term lb-ft when referring to torque. Mathematically ft-lb is the same as lb-ft (whether torque or energy) so the distinction is only a matter of convention.

Anyway the best measurement for airgun energy is electron volts.

12 ft-lbf = 101 548,211,235,480,000,000 eV

For context, the CERN Large Hadron Collider produces a mere 13,000,000,000,000 eV which means that my Tx200 is a little less than eight million times more powerful than the most powerful particle collider on earth (and physically much more compact).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Thank you Turnup et al, as notwithstanding the light hearted banter bit in the middle (a MUST have interlude for the survival of any such weighty and thoughtful thread ), the science and maths that has been offered throughout, here, has been both fascinating and compelling, and all greatly appreciated, too.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Kinetic energy is measured as force times distance, so I would go for ft.lbf

Of course the metric equivalent is Newton meters Nm better known as Joules.

The Imperial measure, you might think would be foot poundals, ft.pdl that being the Imperial measure of force.

But, shootists don't like what you might expect, the weigh things in grains ffs. So they measure force as lbf.

Working out a value for the lbf is tricky because it requires a gravity well to convert mass to force. You have to drop weights and use Newton's wonderful f=ma equation.

To get the magic 450240 divisor you need a gravitational acceleration of 32.16 ft/s/s so it is not Greenwich

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    True. That's because torque is a measure of energy and (unsurprisingly) has the same dimensions.
    For clarification, energy is written as Ft・Lbf and torque as Lbf-Ft but the units are still the same (although I've always considered the different formatting more confusing than clarifying).
    E.g., energy is simply 'work done' and 'Power' is 'work done per unit time' = Ft・Lbf/s and the rotational equivalent is Power = 2𝜋.n.t where n = revs/unit time and t = torque. Since '2', '𝜋' and 'revs' are dimensionless quantities, we're left with Ft・Lbf/s again.

Clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    To get the magic 450240 divisor you need a gravitational acceleration of 32.16 ft/s/s so it is not Greenwich
    The value for 'Standard Gravity' is 32.174 Ft/s² which makes the magic number 32.174 * 2 * 7000 = 450436.
    Definitely not Greenwich. Paris maybe?

George
    Last edited by GPConway; 23-10-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by GPConway View Post
    True. That's because torque is a measure of energy and (unsurprisingly) has the same dimensions.
    For clarification, energy is written as Ft・Lbf and torque as Lbf-Ft but the units are still the same (although I've always considered the different formatting more confusing than clarifying).
    E.g., energy is simply 'work done' and 'Power' is 'work done per unit time' = Ft・Lbf/s and the rotational equivalent is Power = 2��.n.t where n = revs/unit time and t = torque. Since '2', '��' and 'revs' are dimensionless quantities, we're left with Ft・Lbf/s again.

Clear as mud.

George
    Torque is a measure of energy - this has troubled me for a long time. I get your explanation above and this is fine for a moving system (rotational energy), however torque can be static:

Imagine a spanner on a nut and a weight on the spanner tending to either do it up or undo it (it makes no difference) but insufficient to turn the nut. There is a continuously applied and measurable torque on the nut but nothing is moving - where now is the energy?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    where now is the energy?
    Potential energy in the weight. Or the penguin.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.