Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 12ft.lb ... or ... 12 fpe ?

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Not buying that. The energy required to make the deformations you describe can be quantified by the movement of the weight as the load is apple to the spanner = the integral of force times distance. There is still a torque on the whole system and by an the earlier post that is energy - but I can't see where it is while the system is stationery.
    That'd be the strain energy induced in the spanner, nut and threads by the application of the torque.
    Although the system is stationary, a force is still being applied at a distance (i.e., torque) and the strain energy is still being maintained.
    Remember energy is defined as 'work done' not 'work done per unit time'.

George

Next question:-

Is the glass half empty or is it half full?

Please discuss
    Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post

Please discuss
    As the O-P, my glass is defo half full, and in a moment, will be COMPLETELY full (with cider ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Takes me back to Mr Aldridge at KGS in 1960 when I was preparing for O level physics the following year; I can hear his voice now, "work done equals force times distance moved; power is the rate of doing work."

Mr Aldridge's nick-name (all the masters had a nick-name) was Puff. Puff, because he would take a break for a cigarette in the corridor outside, two or three times in a double lesson.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Takes me back to Mr Aldridge at KGS in 1960 when I was preparing for O level physics the following year; I can hear his voice now, "work done equals force times distance moved; power is the rate of doing work."

Mr Aldridge's nick-name (all the masters had a nick-name) was Puff. Puff, because he would take a break for a cigarette in the corridor outside, two or three times in a double lesson.
    What a wonderful mind picture and window into a part of your past. Very thought provoking. Thank you.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

gun

Just for the record we use AIR RIFlES/PIStOl,S A GUN is something the Royal Artillery use

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard c. View Post

Gun

Just for the record we use AIR RIFlES/PIStOl,S A GUN is something the Royal Artillery use
    Uh ??? You got the right thread, chap ??? ... Ahem, maybe take a little more water with it ???

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post

Please discuss
    If it's Fosters then it's half empty, if it's Guiness then it's half full.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Similar memories being at boarding school in Shaftesbury
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

All i know is that if you open an airgun all the airgun pixies and fairies escape and can be buggers to catch and get back in again ...
    Simples. Get our Jim Tyler to lure them back in by using the gubbins tube they live in, as a Pan Pipe: job done (coz fairies can't resist our JT ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Morning all. Since a similar thread on here many many moons ago (which I simply can not now find) which pre-dated my BBS Mod life iirc (so that makes it at least pre 2008), from which I learned twelve feet per pound should be written 12ft.lb, I have always written it that way.

Of late, however, both on here and another forum I visit, I've started to notice people writing twelve feet per pound as 12 fpe, so is this also a correct notation, is it the new accepted notation that dinosaurs like me should now adopt and replace the former with, or is the former still the one and only correct notation, or, err, should I get a grip as it doesn't really matter?
    Really....I have the wit to be able to understand either (eye the) or should that be either (ee thur)....

Really a vase or vase question.

Personally I think FPE is more current and an better than Ft.Lb.

Actually.....I am not even sure why I have wasted a couple of minutes of my life responding :-).

To me...the bigger question is why do people refer to a moderator...suppressor...can....muffler as a SILENCER when there is no such thing.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Really....I have the wit to be able to understand either (eye the) or should that be either (ee thur)....

Really a vase or vase question.

Personally I think FPE is more current and an better than Ft.Lb.

Actually.....I am not even sure why I have wasted a couple of minutes of my life responding:-).

To me...the bigger question is why do people refer to a moderator...suppressor...can....muffler as a SILENCER when there is no such thing.
    To exercise your self obsessed and self attributed pseudo intellectual ego maybe ???

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

To exercise your self obsessed and self attributed pseudo intellectual ego maybe ???
    ..... [said in jest btw, hence the emojis, so don't take it the wrong way, for tiz but banter ]

Torque isn't energy, it is a measure of force. If I apply 1Nm of torque to a system it is describing the amount force acting as a moment to the system, it doesn't tell you how much energy is necessarily being applied to generate that torque (for example the energy application may not be exactly perpendicular and so you would have to apply more energy in order to achieve the same horizontal output).

And FFS, SI units please, Imperial went out with the ark.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Not buying that. The energy required to make the deformations you describe can be quantified by the movement of the weight as the load is apple to the spanner = the integral of force times distance. There is still a torque on the whole system and by an the earlier post that is energy - but I can't see where it is while the system is stationery.
    It's elastic/spring compression imparted in to the spanner.

if you don't believe it place your chin just above the spanner & knock the weight off the end the smack in the chops as the spanner rebounds will make it clear.