Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 12ft.lb ... or ... 12 fpe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post

And FFS, SI units please, Imperial went out with the ark.
    If that's true; Why is the altitude and airspeed of an airliner still measured and communicated in Feet and Knots, rather than Metres and Kilometres per Hour?
    Last edited by Charlie123; 27-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    If that's true; Why is the altitude and airspeed of an airliner still measured and communicated in Feet and Knots, rather than Meters and Kilometers per Hour?
    Depends which airport and airline and air traffic control you take off from and land too.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    If that's true; Why is the altitude and airspeed of an airliner still measured and communicated in Feet and Knots, rather than Metres and Kilometres per Hour?
    Only in the US, UK and probably used by those pilots who have had training in those countries.

A.G

We say to-mate-o, you say To-mah-to.
    Sandy in America.

There is a logical reason to use a nautical mile and measure speed in Knots when navigating. Look up the definition of the nautical mile. It is one minute of latitude at the equator, 1.1508 statute miles. To anyone who has studied marine navigation it makes perfect sense. 1 Knot is 1 nautical mile per hour. It is the international standard unit for navigation purposes.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Only in the US, UK and probably used by those pilots who have had training in those countries.

A.G
    A m8 of mine is a Boeing 777 pilot for Cathay Pacific airlines, based in Hong Kong. All correspondence that he gets is given in FEET,no matter where he is flying. Google "aircraft altimeter" and try to find one calibrated in metres.I wish you luck.
    Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by GPConway View Post
    That'd be the strain energy induced in the spanner, nut and threads by the application of the torque.
    Although the system is stationary, a force is still being applied at a distance (i.e., torque) and the strain energy is still being maintained.
    Remember energy is defined as 'work done' not 'work done per unit time'.

George
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's elastic/spring compression imparted in to the spanner.

if you don't believe it place your chin just above the spanner & knock the weight off the end the smack in the chops as the spanner rebounds will make it clear.
    Having thought further about this, and spent some time trying to come up with elegant refutations, I am forced to conclude that the above posts are correct. The energy is stored in elastic deformations as the weight is placed in position, the majority of that energy is returned (some will be lost as heat) when the weight is removed. I was confusing energy with power

That's cleared that up then - thanks.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Thank you Turnup et al, as notwithstanding the light hearted banter bit in the middle (a MUST have interlude for the survival of any such weighty and thoughtful thread ), the science and maths that has been offered throughout, here, has been both fascinating and compelling, and all greatly appreciated, too.
    And again, thanks to all. This thread has proved to be one of the most contemplative and informative, via reasoned intelligent debate (with a little humour along the way) that I have seen on here in many a year. It may now be time to let this thread drift, however, yes? God I love this, our BBS, and long may it continue to be the wibblywobblyinterweb air gun number one. Atvb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 28-10-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: to ad the schmultzy bit at the end ;-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.