Thread: LP2 or LP5

LP2 or LP5

moving from long range full bore (tired of getting wet on sennybridge) to 10m air, so where to start? anyone want a 1944 No4 Mk1?
    seriously though, was thinking of a Steyr LP2 Or 5 can anyone provide guidance.

The LP2 is a singe shot 10 meter match pistol. Another single shot pistol in the Steyr range is the LP10 that can also be had with an electronic trigger LP10e. The predecessor to both of them is the LP1 and all of them can be found used at good prices.

The LP50 and the electronic trigger version LP50e (and its predecessor LP5) is a multi-shot pistol so you need to decide if you want to have a single shot match pistol or a multi-shot pistol.

All are well made and supported in this country by Steyr UK who reside in York so keeping them running for many years to come should not be a problem.

Hope this helps as a "starter" to your 10 meter air pistol shooting.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-10-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    The LP2 is a singe shot 10 meter match pistol. Another single shot pistol in the Steyr range is the LP10 that can also be had with an electronic trigger LP10e. The predecessor to both of them is the LP1 and all of them can be found used at good prices.

The LP50 and the electronic trigger version LP50e (and its predecessor LP5) is a multi-shot pistol so you need to decide if you want to have a single shot match pistol or a multi-shot pistol.

All are well made and supported in this country by Steyr UK who reside in York so keeping them running for many years to come should not be a problem.

Hope this helps as a "starter" to your 10 meter air pistol shooting.
    Thanks for that, I have had a look around and have seen some articles that think the 5 shot pistols could be heading the way of all semi auto pistols. due to the costs involved even in second hand kit,( having seen several on the web), I am selling my Steyr LP88 rifle (on gunstar at the moment) so if any of your club members may be interested please let me know. I had to take a guess at its worth as I couldn't find another to compare it to. Once again thanks for your help

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    There are some Steyr LP 2's for sale in sales now
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by tilto View Post
    Thanks for that, I have had a look around and have seen some articles that think the 5 shot pistols could be heading the way of all semi auto pistols. due to the costs involved even in second hand kit,( having seen several on the web), I am selling my Steyr LP88 rifle (on gunstar at the moment) so if any of your club members may be interested please let me know. I had to take a guess at its worth as I couldn't find another to compare it to. Once again thanks for your help
    Tilto, I'm pretty sure the uncertainty regarding the 5 shot pistols was resolved a little while ago when they made the decision that they were auto indexing and not auto loading therefore legal to own etc.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    There are some Steyr LP 2's for sale in sales now
    I know 2 are sold, one to me and one to an eminent member of this forum so be quick, mine is a beauty!!

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Tilto, I'm pretty sure the uncertainty regarding the 5 shot pistols was resolved a little while ago when they made the decision that they were auto indexing and not auto loading therefore legal to own etc.
    The five shots issues are resolved and now confirmed as legal, but unless you wish to shoot Sport pistol or Standard pistol the five shot is not a good choice, its fiddly to load singly, rules for air pistol do not permit loading 5 except in multi shot matches such as Sport or Standard, so you must use a single shot mag, and the trigger is not so good, unless you go to the LP50E, if shooting normal slow fire air pistol matches the LP 2 is the best bet.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for all the comments, I have taken the plunge and found an lp50 at a price I can afford thanks to a like minded Member of the big army family. Watch this space

Keep us all informed how it goes. Love the Steyr but just too much for me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tilto View Post
    Thanks for all the comments, I have taken the plunge and found an lp50 at a price I can afford thanks to a like minded Member of the big army family. Watch this space
    Excellent. I disagree with Robin on this one (which is unusual..&#128512.
    I think the lp50 is a fantastic choice. Trigger can be set up easily to be good enough to shoot at the top level (in the UK) at single shot events. And you get the option to play at five shot events. I don't see a downside.

My first AP was an lp50, and still got it. Expect I will keep it forever.

Choice

Mac

The thread title and original choice was LP2 or LP5, and I was commenting on the LP 5 trigger which is definitely not as good as the 2 or the 10, the LP50 was not originally on his choice list, and we do agree the LP50 trigger is as good, although the LP50E is even better!

The only down side to an LP50 is the fiddle of loading singly, and for those with small hands the trigger reach is restricted in how far back you can get it, I make my own trigger shoe with a back to front mount that gains the small hands and fingers another few mm's rearwards. And now they are off the endangered species list I can own up to having an LP50E compact!

Have Fun
    Robin