Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading old "classic" literature

Reading old "classic" literature

Shockingly, my old friend Mr Ian Jones, recently gave me (yes I know its hard to believe) an old Beeman catalogue from the early eighties. Well, if anything could reignite my interest in those classic springers from the late seventies, this was the journal that has certainly managed to do just that.
    I haven't read one of these previously, and after going through it for the second time yesterday, I ended up having a clean of my classics and sat for several minutes just admiring them lined up like a squad of models directly from the catalogue. FWB 300, HW 35E and my own personal favourite, the FWB 124.
    I have spent most of the summer with some young folks rolling about in fields target shooting, most usually failing to match the deadly precision necessary to drop knock down targets in tricky winds and undetermined range. Not that I haven't enjoyed it, just that I basically am not a good a shot as the "A Team" shooters I travel with.
    I now realise that I have been very much missing the simplicity of breaking a gun barrel, putting in the pellet, and having a leisurely shot at an object that doesn't have to fall over to give me a smile. No, I have missed the grass root shooting we all grew up with, and realise that it has been to my detriment.
    With this new found enthusiasm in mind, I have decided that rather than spend at least one evening a week printing five shot groups of 10mm or less at 40 yards with an expensive German PCP target rifle, I am going to just enjoy myself with some "proper" guns once again and just plink away at our club with one of my classic trio instead.
    This week its the turn of my favourite, who is currently positioned opposite from me with a gleam to both stock and action. Hell, I have even today ordered a stainless trigger blade unit for the Sport from our old friend Jim Maccari. I am hopeful that this addition will help to alleviate the guns only weakness, that of the crap trigger.
    Anyway, I feel better having got that off my chest, and am now looking forward to shooting tomorrow night more than I have done in a long while!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

There's no question that Beeman is a giant in the field of airgun marketing copy. He alone built the idea of an adult airgun in the US. It's probably hard for someone not in the US to appreciate how ingrained the idea was of any airgun, no matter what, as being a toy. Only with Beeman did that perception change.

We had many conversations, back in the day when he still talked to me, and one of his favorite stories was when, at a big European gun trade show, the RWS marketing guy said to him, "We're coming to the US and will price our guns to take over the market." Beeman's immediate thought was, "time to go big on quality and out-flank these guys." That's when Beeman marketing copy when nuts about super high quality, along with a significant rise in prices. It worked. Made himself a millionaire in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Shockingly, my old friend Mr Ian Jones, recently gave me (yes I know its hard to believe) an old Beeman catalogue from the early eighties. Well, if anything could reignite my interest in those classic springers from the late seventies, this was the journal that has certainly managed to do just that.

Andy
    Its all part of my cunning plan [spoken in my best Baldrick impression] - my ulterior motive.

Since 'Arthur' decide to take residence in my left elbow (and other less important body joints ) and you went to the dark side with your pcp 'Wonder Guns' I lost my guinea pig. My spring rifle tester. As my intended reduction in my collection has resulted in a increase in numbers I have a few more new-to-me rifles that need shooting including a very nice Walther LGV Match which I acquired at the recent Airgun Fair (of Sat 14th Oct.).

To think I would give anything away without there being some catch.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Its all part of my cunning plan [spoken in my best Baldrick impression] - my ulterior motive.
    So you still carry the bullet with your name on it then ? (just in case)
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

I presume that baby Walther LGV is the one you picked up at the fair Ian? Please bring her along this evening and I will give her a good seeing too.
    Interesting story about Dr Beeman DT. He certainly must be at least partly (or maybe mostly?) responsible for the development of serious airgunning in the U.S. Lets face it, the products he was selling were of very high quality for any arm, never mind air powered ones.
    I cant put my finger on just what it is that makes high quality classic airguns so enjoyable. Is it because it takes me back to my younger days, or is it that they are just so eminently desirable due to the standard of quality and workmanship? No doubt it is a combination of those things. One things for sure, they remain damned good fun fun to shoot! Forgot to mention yesterday that I have fitted a Tasco AG 2-7x32 scope onto 124. This replaces the "Jap" Rhino and is of stunning image quality. I can remember these being available but could never afford one at the time. I am even starting to consider using the 124 for some winter competition HFT shooting, providing that the Maccari replacement trigger blade unit improves the trigger pull.
    I seem to remember that my Sport preferred either Falcon Accuracy Plus or Webley Mosquitos. We shall see!

Andy

Ah - the classic Tasco 2-7x32. Now that is a scope that is as great now as it was the day it was introduced - just like the HW35 and FWB Sport. Classic Jap optics which never age. No 'milldot' or 'Smilldot' just class glass and build quality plus good looks.

I know of two of these scopes that are for sale locally but Im resisting the temptation. I am, after all, reducing my collection (well, thats what I keep telling myself. )

ATB
    Ian

Lgv

Hi Ian, I could be wrong, for the 1st time! But I think the LGV might be the'Spezial' as it has the straight trigger,
    John.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

If you wish to continue your nostalgic reading ... get yourself copies of 'Airgun Digest'. The Ist edition was by Beeman but editions 2 and 3 were by J I Galan. Excellent reading ... they come up on book searches now and then or even appear in book bundles at auction.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil. I actually have all of those particular tomes along with the John Walters books. The first edition of the "Airgun Digest" I bought from a gun shop in Liverpool and must have read it hundreds of times over the years or referred to it in some way. I also picked up the second edition (green cover if I remember rightly.) I must have all the classics unfortunately, unless anybody is aware of some hidden masterpiece that I am unaware of. If you know of anything obscure but interesting, please let me know!
    Many thanks,
    Andy

Smile

hi all, when did the tasco ag 2x7x32 go on sale, and can someone post a pic on here please ?
    is the above from early 80`s ? and what length / weight / gloss finish ? thankyou.. J.S.D.

Quote Originally Posted by JSD View Post
    hi all, when did the tasco ag 2x7x32 go on sale, and can someone post a pic on here please ?
    is the above from early 80`s ? and what length / weight / gloss finish ? thankyou.. J.S.D.
    Think around 1985.....

I like the new one better as it has mil dots....http://sealairsoft.com/pro_details.php?product_id=79

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 26-10-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

aimless Guest

a little bit off topic, but

-dear gentlemen- , can anyone confirm, that Mr. Beemans favourite airgun was the FWB 300? I can not find any remark about that at www, but I remember he mentioned his favourit(-es)...

Quote Originally Posted by JSD View Post
    Various Tascos here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

1. Great Beeman story. I guess the success of Diana in the US market since the mid-80s, based on the 34 and 48/52 shows that both business models were right.

2. Any views on the influence at around the same time of Robert Law of ARH?

3. I think the Tasco AG variables came out around 81-82, but can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Think around 1985.....

Baz
    I was referring to the one with p/x adjustment the 626VFM and the later AG models..