Having shot air pistols for fun since 1992 I have set myself up a target holder in the garage for short sessions of target practice. The distance is just under 6 yards. I have 10 yards in the garden if required.

I have owned a Gamo PR45, Walther CP88, BSA Magnum 240 and HW45 with Hogue grips. I found the CP88 accurate on 45mm discs and the HW45 was pretty good too. The PR45 was used at a club where my max score was 45/50 at 10 metres.

I now have a 3-barrel set S&W 586 - with the 4", 6" and 8" barrels. I like this but it is not as accurate as I would like it to be, I have had it a long time, and am a bit bored of it. I have kept it a little longer than intended as my kids have enjoyed using it but they've gone onto other things now.

I have the chance to buy my Dad's sleeper HW45 which he bought new in about 1998. It's in as-new condition. I would want to sell the S&W set if I took to the HW45.

I could sell the S&W and buy a SMK PP700W instead.

I like the idea of PCP, as I already have a bottle. I like the idea of a little more power too. I like the idea of not having to use CO2 capsules and not having the power curve to deal with.

Having owned an HW45 in the past I know they are good pistols which take a bit of getting to know. Somewhat more challenging to shoot well than the PP700W perhaps ?

Current plan is to have a go of the HW45 for a bit, see if I get on with it, if not, sell it on behalf of my Dad, and sell the S&W with a view to getting the PP700W.

Budget is thus about £150 which I think is what the S&W set would achieve.

So from all the above I think my priorities are accuracy, with clout coming second (probably ruling out the HW40).

Any thoughts ?