Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sterling

sterling

i have read bits and bobs on the English sterling even when it came out not much was written about it looks like it was ignored I have one in ,22 for some time now and apart from the underlever catch I like it in all the years I have had it I have never put a scope on it to seen how accurate it is I have a shoot coming up this Halloween at a old feed barn so I am going to scope up and go for it I tune it my self spring guide and top hat ptf piston head worked on the trigger smooth and little recoil and the weight absorbs it if you got one what do you think of sterling what pellets do you use and why so little about the sterling

I have been intrigued with the Sterling, one of the only bolt action springers. Benjamin here in the States bought the rights and made then for a short time and then they were bought out by Crosman who ended it. Pretty rare gun need to see pics? Read mixed reviews, I want one just because. Benjamin changed a few things but they are essentially the same gun.
    Last edited by 45flint; 25-10-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I've owned two British Dagenham Sterlings (a mod 81 and a mod 83), both were in .22, and I have to say they were both superbly over engineered, and very well finished off and made (esp my walnut stocked mod 81). But to shoot? Due to the aforementioned over engineering, at best they were lack lustre, and at worst, very poor. Still, they are a worthy addition to any generic air rifle collection, and I for one sincerely wish I'd kept my 81 ... Pellet wise, both loved blue tin 5.6 Ely Wasps (that's how long ago it was). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

When I think about it, is this the only British Airgun ever to be brought to the US for manufacture? The Hy-Score was the exact opposite, US gun brought to U.K. for manufacture. May be other example but adds to intrigue to me. I think Benjamin used Walther barrels should be accurate?

Very high build quality from a proper firearms manufacturer.

Some dodgy bits of design. The trigger for one (worse on the 83, which led to the 81 deluxe, which was, as I recall, an 83 with an 81 trigger). Fundamentally, the action has oodles of unswept volume, and is slammy.

Bolt action is/was cool, and safe, but does not compensate for poor performance compared to, say, an HW77.

Top-heavy. Not a naturally good-handling rifle.

It would have been (in the UK, not the US) highly competitive in 1975, marginally so in 1980. By 1982 (at a premium price), it could not compete well against the established then-modern springers.

A nice thing to own. But as an interesting curiosity, not as a serious field or target rifle. An FWB Sport or HW80 beats it in performance. Actually, a Webley Vulcan probably does.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Very high build quality from a proper firearms manufacturer.

Some dodgy bits of design. The trigger for one (worse on the 83, which led to the 81 deluxe, which was, as I recall, an 83 with an 81 trigger). Fundamentally, the action has oodles of unswept volume, and is slammy.

Bolt action is/was cool, and safe, but does not compensate for poor performance compared to, say, an HW77.

Top-heavy. Not a naturally good-handling rifle.

It would have been (in the UK, not the US) highly competitive in 1975, marginally so in 1980. By 1982 (at a premium price), it could not compete well against the established then-modern springers.

A nice thing to own. But as an interesting curiosity, not as a serious field or target rifle. An FWB Sport or HW80 beats it in performance. Actually, a Webley Vulcan probably does.
    It’s somewhat reminds me of a gun like the Ruttens, well made but odd and never caught on. Makes for a fun collectable. The HW80 is superb but not as collectable.
    Last edited by 45flint; 26-10-2017 at 04:56 AM.

I had a few of these back in the day and used a .177 in the early days of FT ( I was crap )

This is what I made of the the model history. - I also sold a lot of spares to a chap on here many moons ago.

Robin Hutchinson designed and made in Dagenham by Sterling Arms 1981 - 1984

Model History
    HR 81 – Beech stock, fixed front sight and ball bearing detent cocking lever
    HR 81 Deluxe – Walnut stock and removable fore sight
    HR 83 - Walnut stock with oil finish, sling swivels, removable front sight and a sliding lock catch on the under lever. Some early models had a complex 16 piece trigger unit, that was soon dropped.

Most models in .22 - a few in .177 and none in .20

All UK models had ‘HR 81’ stamped into the breech, inc the 83 models as far as the 5 examples that I had were concerned

well if I put a scope on it I might find out the truth about accuracy like I did with my airsport the hard way or lack ely and Vulcan for me 2 words to me that means hailmary shooting I think I will leave it scoped less I will take my mercury with its super sport k barrel on it I never seen so much about the sterling and its not just me who likes them some thing about them probably the bolt and that name 1 rat 1 mouse 1 squirrel and a magpie this week with it that come for the chicken food

The Benjamin version had a William’s peep on it. With that you would know what it can do.

There is a nice 81 in .22 for sale in our local RFD.
    No mistaking them but I’m not sure it’s for me.

I bought a wreck of a HR81 in .177 a few years back and brought it back to life. Liked it a lot, so much so I've just bought an almost mint .22 version. This was the earlier crackle finish one. The seal had dryed out through lack of use and a chunk had broken off. So I've fitted the piston from the other one for now. I had buttoned this piston. I've fitted a piston sleeve and a made a thin plastic washer for one side of the cocking link. It now cocks smooth and shoots with a nice quiet thud. No slam what so ever. As for the blueing, eat your heart out Weihrauch.
    I still hunt with .177 and will probably do the same with the .22. I've been using H&N FTT's in both. The .177 isn't that pellet fussy.

Hr81

There was an HR81 for sale at Okehampton Guns recently

Quote Originally Posted by the green man View Post
    i have read bits and bobs on the English sterling even when it came out not much was written about it looks like it was ignored I have one in ,22 for some time now and apart from the underlever catch I like it in all the years I have had it I have never put a scope on it to seen how accurate it is I have a shoot coming up this Halloween at a old feed barn so I am going to scope up and go for it I tune it my self spring guide and top hat ptf piston head worked on the trigger smooth and little recoil and the weight absorbs it if you got one what do you think of sterling what pellets do you use and why so little about the sterling
    I bought a .22 Sterling here a couple of years ago and its in extremely good order cosmetically and power wise its all there at around 11.5.
    To be honest I haven't done much with it. I has considered them pug ugly for many years and still do to a degree. But as has been said bluing wise they are top notch.
    Its interesting that some here have improved them with modern methods and materials no doubt improving consistency, smoothness and power.
    Interesting stuff. I haven't scoped mine just yet but hope to do so at some stage. The rails don't seem that deep on the gun though?
    Dave

Sterling

Wasn't there a strange underlever catch on these - fitted to the forend muzzle of the barrel ? And it wobbles a lot ?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post

Wasn't there a strange underlever catch on these - fitted to the forend muzzle of the barrel ? And it wobbles a lot ?
    Yes, it is a little unique as catches go, but imho, this is due more to the aforementioned over engineering, rather than being sub standard? I have no recollection of the wobble you detail, however, although my models were virtually brand new, so no working wear would have been obvious during their time with me. Maybe someone reading this with a more used model could ad their opinion on this?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.