Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sterling

I did some work to cut down the lock time a shorter spring that sits on a new guide longer and pack out at the back which works and with the trigger that's about well under 2 lb top hat a spring sleeve always wanted one in .177 mines fully blued which has stood the test of time still looks like new just if I scope it up and at 25 yards it shoots like a shot gun it will end up like my beloved airsporter of the time I made it in to a lamp l with open sights out to 10 to 15 yards its ok the Benjamin rifles had walter barrels I know they are basically the same gun

A little reading around suggests that the Benjamin ones may have had some significant improvements. Better front sight/lever catch, LW barrel. The Pyramydair blog features one (suitably fettled) grouping modern pellets into less than 1/2" at 25 yards, and a thread on the GTA includes a guy getting 50 yard groups around an inch.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    an fwb sport or hw80 beats it in performance. Actually, a webley hawk probably does.
    fify :d:d:d

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

fify :d:d:d
    Uh ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Uh ???
    Alistair changed "Vulcan" to "hawk".

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Alistair changed "Vulcan" to "hawk".
    Good job, too (maligning the mighty Vulcan indeed ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

William the Kid story.....

Many years ago I recall shooting my HR81 at a plastic container situated some seventy yards in front of me. I could shoot and re-load before my pellet hit the plastic drum!

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Many years ago I recall shooting my HR81 at a plastic container situated some seventy yards in front of me. I could shoot and re-load before my pellet hit the plastic drum!
    70 yards = 210 feet, so even only doing 200fps - you must be some awesome dude

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The mighty Sterling. All the best, and worst, of British airgun design. A triumph of engineering over aesthetics. I have three of them.

Well I like them. Got four of them. Not as commonly encountered as they one were, so you have to look for a while before you find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

Well I like them. Got four of them. Not as commonly encountered as they one were, so you have to look for a while before you find a good one.
    Yes. I like them, too: quirky, quality, and quintessentially British.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yes. I like them, too: quirky, quality, and quintessentially British.
    Bit like an Austin Maxi?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Bit like an Austin Maxi?
    No no no. Austin Maxis weren't quirky or quality -- they were just cr@p. They looked cr@p, they drove cr@p (with their virtually free-floating front axles), they were built cr@p using cr@p materials, and came in cr@ppy beige or 'cr@p' coloured chocolate brown.

The only thing good about the Austin Maxi was that it wasn't an Austin Allegro (coz they were double plus cr@p lol). Now imho, a much better Austin car analogy for the quirky and quality Sterling would've been the Austin Hornet, no ???

A Wolseley 35 Hornet Special maybe. There's more metal in a Stirling than a Austin/Wolseley Hornet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post

A Wolseley 35 Hornet Special maybe. There's more metal in a Stirling than a Austin/Wolseley Hornet as well.
    Lol, yes ok, the Wolsey Hornet Special. Austin-wise then, and to increase the metal content, how about the Austin Cambridge?