Like most classic collectors, I had a 'wish' list - the first of mine was a decent Mk1 Airsporter, one that was a good example of the Mark, I didn't think it would be possible, indeed - if not for the net - I wouldn't have managed this, certainly not as quickly as I did! That was followed by a couple more.
I also had my sights set on a Airsporter Centenary, again, due to the rarity and 'high residual value' of these 'collectors' rifles - I always believed that highly unlikely but always lived in hope - one day I spotted an ad in the Freeads, someone local who was selling off a large BSA Airsporter collection and who had sold 3 Centenaries among other Airsporters/Stutzens etc.
I missed out on one of them but secured a deal on another - so box ticked and the net came up trumps again!

Now, my dream rifle would be a .25 Airsporter - another rare beast indeed but I live in hope, indeed, if anyone out there has one for sale at a 'realistic' price, I would like to know!

A .25 Mercury was advertised on here a couple of days ago and I have to say I had a real battle of will not to be tempted and buy it - I spotted it before anyone had 'claimed' it. Boy that was difficult not to just succumb to temptation as they are very fine rifles indeed.
However, I have a Mercury and I have a mint .25 Mercury barrel and the intention was/is? to make a special - although now, I am beginning to think I should be looking for a decent 'S' model Mercury in order to do that with?
So the argument in my mind was - would I like to buy the .25 Mercury - or would I be better holding out for a decent .25 Airsporter - both pretty rare beasts - the lure of the Airsporter won!

So the .25 Airsporter remains my 'holy grail'!

What is your 'Holy Grail' of rifles and how long have you been looking for one?

ASM