Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Classic rifle would you like to own? (Holy Grail?)

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland

What Classic rifle would you like to own? (Holy Grail?)

Like most classic collectors, I had a 'wish' list - the first of mine was a decent Mk1 Airsporter, one that was a good example of the Mark, I didn't think it would be possible, indeed - if not for the net - I wouldn't have managed this, certainly not as quickly as I did! That was followed by a couple more.
    I also had my sights set on a Airsporter Centenary, again, due to the rarity and 'high residual value' of these 'collectors' rifles - I always believed that highly unlikely but always lived in hope - one day I spotted an ad in the Freeads, someone local who was selling off a large BSA Airsporter collection and who had sold 3 Centenaries among other Airsporters/Stutzens etc.
    I missed out on one of them but secured a deal on another - so box ticked and the net came up trumps again!

Now, my dream rifle would be a .25 Airsporter - another rare beast indeed but I live in hope, indeed, if anyone out there has one for sale at a 'realistic' price, I would like to know!

A .25 Mercury was advertised on here a couple of days ago and I have to say I had a real battle of will not to be tempted and buy it - I spotted it before anyone had 'claimed' it. Boy that was difficult not to just succumb to temptation as they are very fine rifles indeed.
    However, I have a Mercury and I have a mint .25 Mercury barrel and the intention was/is? to make a special - although now, I am beginning to think I should be looking for a decent 'S' model Mercury in order to do that with?
    So the argument in my mind was - would I like to buy the .25 Mercury - or would I be better holding out for a decent .25 Airsporter - both pretty rare beasts - the lure of the Airsporter won!

So the .25 Airsporter remains my 'holy grail'!

What is your 'Holy Grail' of rifles and how long have you been looking for one?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    A Lincoln Jefferies 1907 'H' model with a shotgun stock, an AIRGUNAID SP5 .20 cal Hunter, and a genuine one of 110 Webley & Scott Special Edition Vulcan circa 1979 ... Err, hang on, I've already got one of each of them in my modest collection, so guess, notwithstanding getting MY old Sterling HR81 in a walnut overcoat back where he belongs, seems I have most of my wish-list, already (but we all know, as collectors, that 'that' particular scenario won't last lol ) ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 26-10-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: to make the word 'MY' stand out in red.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    A Lincoln Jefferies 1907 'H' model with a shotgun stock, an AIRGUNAID SP5 .20 cal Hunter, and a genuine one of 110 Webley & Scott Special Edition Vulcan circa 1979 ... Err, hang on, I've already got one of each of them in my modest collection, so guess, notwithstanding getting MY old Sterling HR81 in a walnut overcoat back where he belongs, seems I have most of my wish-list, already (but we all know, as collectors, that 'that' particular scenario won't last lol ) ...

Fair enough Gareth - but this is about your 'Holy Grail' rifle - the one you seek but don't ever expect to get but live in hope!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Most holy grail air rifles are ultimately with patience and a bit of luck attainable.There are a couple I fancy,but right at the top of my list would be one of these,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57566...nese+Air+Rifle

ATB.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    For air rifles, probably a Whiscombe but I dont really lust after one.
    I have a freind who when chasing something, he really sets his stall out to get it and almost never fails !
    His pursuit is vintage fishing tackle and he recently sought, found and shelled out £3.4k for a landing net made and owned by a famous carp angler !

I have no desire to go to those lengths for a "Whizzer" but if I did and had the Dosh, I'd take a few tips from him !
    “An airgun or two”………

Like every other bloke,something with both the Weihrauch and Venom stamp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post

Now, my dream rifle would be a .25 Airsporter - another rare beast indeed but I live in hope, indeed, if anyone out there has one for sale at a 'realistic' price, I would like to know!

ASM
    Which model of Airsporter was made in .25? Was it the RB right at the end of the production run? I seem to recall coming by a Superstar in .25 but don't think I've ever seen a BSA tap loader in .25..... I'd be interested to!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Which model of Airsporter was made in .25? Was it the RB right at the end of the production run? I seem to recall coming by a Superstar in .25 but don't think I've ever seen a BSA tap loader in .25..... I'd be interested to!

Cheers
    Greg
    Not too sure about that Greg - I believe they may be tap loaders but I may be wrong!
    Actually after thinking about it - they were most likely RBs - which I wouldn't mind as I like the RBs and dont have one!
    ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Fair enough Gareth - but this is about your 'Holy Grail' rifle - the one you seek but don't ever expect to get but live in hope!

ASM
    Ahh, of course. Well until I managed to secure one, that seemingly unattainable wonderful wish-list item was a one of 110 original Webley & Scott walnut Vulcan Special Edition circa 1979 with a serial number beginning with a nine (without said prefix, it wouldn't be a genuine Special Edition). But as I now own one, I guess unless you class my beautiful Brum-built walnut stocked SFS tuned .177 Webley Longbow (which I sold when skint to Blackrider as above, who loves it as much as I did/do, ergo will not part with it), guess I am fortunate enough not to have an unobtainable air gun on my wish list (at the moment anyway, but being a collector, how long will that last ??? ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

Most holy grail air rifles are ultimately with patience and a bit of luck attainable.There are a couple I fancy,but right at the top of my list would be one of these,

ATB.
    Curse this thread and CURSE YOU mrto !!! ... Scrap my closing comment on my above post, as now want one of these, too (knew it wouldn't be long ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

ATB.
    Nice looking rifle that!

ASM

Smile

A Girandoni:

The BSA Military Pattern represents my Holy Grail where air rifles are concerned. Unfortunately, I would have to part with quite a few prized rifles from my collection to make way for this ultra rare model.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The BSA Military Pattern represents my Holy Grail where air rifles are concerned. Unfortunately, I would have to part with quite a few prized rifles from my collection to make way for this ultra rare model.

Brian
    I wonder how many are sitting in atticks etc Brian?

ASM

Dean C's AA ProSport, which he is keeping for me. Been a few years now since he put it up for sale and then changed his mind. Think we have an understanding, in a good way.
    Park 91 with walnut stock. Had the 83 but preferred the 81. Missed a good one at auction last year.