26 41.94%
  • Old fashioned Diamonds

26 41.94%
  • Grind it off and stipple the SOB

5 8.06%
  • Other/Neither/Pie

5 8.06%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with fish scale checkering on the TX?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Whats wrong with fish scale checkering on the TX?

I hear a few on here saying that they dislike the modern fish scale checkering and prefer the old style stock on the TX and was just wondering why
    Also rounded vs squared forend.

i prefer the old TX200SR stock myself I've got a mk3 TX and the walnut is cracking but I'm not over keen on the fancy line work each end of the fish scale its just too busy for me

I wouldn't buy a TX due to that horrible checkering. I told AA that during the Shooting Show in Feb.
    Ghastly, IMHO.

Mmmm...In my humble opinion, it looks bloody awful, might be OK on the handle of a fishing rod - I like the TX200 but, would not buy any fish scale stock air rifle no matter how brilliant it it is in other respects....

I really like the fish scale stock think it has, that family airloom quality too it.

I actually have a beautiful mk2 tiger stripe walnut on my tx but that's because it came along i was happy with the fish scale beech i had before.

When it first appeared on the Mk3 I didn't have a TX and thought the fish scale fussy and unappealing.

A few years later I did get a Mk3 HC by mail order.

I got used to the fish scale, partly I think because it gives good grip and does the job.

The fit and finish of AA guns is so superior, the deeply polished blued metalwork unsurpassed, the sheer quality of the piece so evident, that all is forgiven and you begin to love it after all.

That said, I've only got an old Mk2 now.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Im not a big fan of it but the stock handles fantastic so I can live with it.
    Master Debater

It's just a little too fanciful. We call it tacky, over here. The stock does feel good in the hands, to be honest. I've also shot a couple of .177 FAC versions and they were very accurate which makes one forget about the fish scales.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I think its great, I think tacky is too strong a word but as with everything its down to personal preference.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

It just looks cheap.
    I’ll go one further and say the whole of the curved forend of the standard MK3 stock is vile. The MK2 stock looks miles better.

Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I think it's dung... what has fish got to do with shooting? Maybe if they'd come up with a feather design it would have been better accepted. Personally I'd have stuck with checkering. There's plenty of beautiful checkering designs that would stand out from the crowd - there was no need to go full on fishy with it!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by armedpiskey View Post
    i prefer the old TX200SR stock myself I've got a mk3 TX and the walnut is cracking but I'm not over keen on the fancy line work each end of the fish scale its just too busy for me
    Exactly.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I wouldn't buy a TX due to that horrible checkering. I told AA that during the Shooting Show in Feb.
    Ghastly, IMHO.
    I tell them the same but they seem to resist it. I also tell them to put out a left handed version of the Prosport and they resist that as well !
    “An airgun or two”………

I really like the Mk3 stocks - they fit me perfectly.

I also like the fish scale patern and the surrounding border bit. When I look closely at it, it's a quality job. The cut into the walnut looks very precise and even.

All of the above.

For me the fishtail finish is just too fussy. Simple is good most of the time.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.