I'm restoring a left hand stock for a Walther LG55.

Stock is walnut (chequering to grip and under fore end) and in pretty good condition.

It had already been stripped when I bought it, but the walnut is very light and does not darken that much when I damp it.

It looks like the butt pad has been replaced (badly!) as it does not match the pad on the right hand stock I have, looks like the the rubber has been 'carved' in order to match the stock! Also there is a slight curve to the wood at the end of the stock, so when the butt pad was fitted the spacer has cracked on both sides. I was going to leave the butt pad alone, but have now decided the remove it and replace it, given how nice the stock is. The complicate things, I managed to get one screw out, a 1.5 inch wood screw, but the heads are messed up on the other screws so now expect I'll have to 'butcher' the existing pad in order to remove it and then somehow get the existing screws out. I will also need to 'true up' the rear of the stock so that it is flat in order to mount a new butt pad.

I have a butt pad from an Original 66 stock which appears to be of similar dimensions, so hope to fit this.

Would welcome some advice on following:

Stock finishing - planning to stain the walnut with diluted Birchwood Casey walnut stain, just to darken it slightly, is this a good idea?, how much should I dilute (50/50?) best way to apply?
how to finish stock, just oil it, use trueoil? I'd like it to look similar to a period stock, similar to http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_myY4q7WpSz...0/DSC_2620.jpg

Butt pad replacement - any advice/tips from someone who has done this before

cheers