Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people prefer the s200 to the s400?

Why do so many people prefer the s200 to the s400?

On paper the s400 seems to be the superior product, and with classic cylinder has a better shot count. It would also appear to have the better trigger.

And the s200 isn't much cheaper, and is arguably an unattractive looking gun.

So why do so many people prefer the s200?

Is it just a question of weight, or is there something magical about the handling of the little. Czech rifle?
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 27-10-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

secretagentmole Guest
    Because you can knock the barrel on an S200 and it will still shoot in line with the sights?
    Because it is better built than the British made S400?

I saw a bloke using one, years ago on the range at NWSS,what an odd looking thing I thought.
    That two piece handle in particular.
    Then I saw the groups it produced on paper .

I don't know about current offerings, but the early CZ barrels were superb.

I had an S200 with AA magazine and a loan of my mate's S410 at the same time. Both grouped the same but the 410 was hands down the nicer gun to use.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Who are these said people?!

The S400 is a much better rifle than the S200.
    Master Debater

I had an s200 for 1 year and a s400 for 8 years. I don't need to say anymore.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

Love my s400 dunno much about s200 looks ugly.

There's the choice then, you buy a rifle for what it does or what it looks like. The early S200s were phenomenally accurate and consistent; I have one here with a serial number of 1300 and something. But they do have weaknesses. I shrink from calling it a design flaw, but the action block can wear out after lots of use. The L shaped slot that the cocking spigot attached to the bolt runs in, relies on the inner corner being a sharp 90 degree angle. Slick cocking can round this off, and then the bolt will blow back when the trigger is pulled.

edit:

My solution has been to engineer a steel block to be inserted and to restore the sharp corner. Pic:

https://i.imgur.com/ETQ5SAd.jpg?1
    Last edited by Rich; 27-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The earlier S200 is no oil painting I'll grant you, but the accuracy is bettered by very little that doesn't cost four times as much
    Plus this performance just seems more accessible by the common man - maybe it's the two piece stock, maybe its the barrel - but either way I do love mine for what it can do.

I've had many S200, s, all mk, s and all excellent. I've also had a good few 400,s,again all excellent. If pushed I would say my current mk2 s200 is slightly more accurate than my current S400k BUT the 400 fits me so much better and the 400,s trigger is definitely better.

Simple answer, the S200 has a much superior barrel.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Simple answer, the S200 has a much superior barrel.

Neil
    Indeed-Ken Turner (He of Turner Developments-TX2) fitted a CZ barrel to his S400 that he used as his comp rig. Enough said.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

The S200 may to some people be ugly but its ridiculously accurate, light and tough.

Some people just admire decent engineering with the added bonus its made by CZ who make astounding arms and aren’t b***** rude if you phone them.... unlike *cough* AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    On paper the s400 seems to be the superior product, and with classic cylinder has a better shot count. It would also appear to have the better trigger.

And the s200 isn't much cheaper, and is arguably an unattractive looking gun.

So why do so many people prefer the s200?

Is it just a question of weight, or is there something magical about the handling of the little. Czech rifle?
    Really good question. I am not sure I know but in the field I would go S200 any day.

It does need work....a Tench Reg and an adjustable butt and cheek piece stock. Swap the plastic bolt to metal and get the trigger worked on.

I took a club S200 onto an FT Comp and although I had some help with the ranges (as it had a shitty el cheapo scope on), it came in with 75/80 (IIRC) and it had a trigger like a bag of gravel in treacle.

I love the 200. I think the barrel is so good (or was) that it can easily compete with those found on teutonic engineered FT rigs.

The rest is ropey and small but it is a great little hunter.

Don't underestimate an S200
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill