Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do so many people prefer the s200 to the s400?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Who are these said people?!

The S400 is a much better rifle than the S200.
    no it isnt
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Accurate

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Simple answer, the S200 has a much superior barrel.

Neil
    And shooting is ALL about accuracy. It's a lightweight gun. If you operate the bolt like a 303 Enfield you will break it.
    SO DONT!
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

S200 appears to be the more rugged of the two but S400 is the more refined. As for the barrel on the S400 being a little flisy , yes there is a point of concern there if you want to use the rifle as a bat.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    no it isnt
    Is the correct response.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

The only good thing about the s200 is the barrel. The trigger is poor, and the receiver is very difficult to bed. Any gun that needs a single lateral bedding screw belongs in a museum.

Hello, sorry to ask what may be a silly question but it is a serious one, at least for me, what is bedding and a single lateral bedding screw please.
    I have an 2 piece stocked .22 of 2002 (I think) and a one piece stock .177 of 2014.
    Thank you very much for any light you may be able to shine on this question.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Based on the S200 (I had) and S400 (I still have). The cocking action of the S200 graunches, it does not feel like well machined parts gliding over each other. The S400 is the full length ‘rifle’ version and didn’t come to my shoulder as the nicely as the S200. Accuracy, the S400 was superior, in part because of the far better trigger.

Actions speak louder than words - the S200 is gone and the S400 is still me.

I target shoot and plink, so the extra shots between having to re-pressurise the cylinder of the S400 is certainly welcome.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by scrane View Post
    The only good thing about the s200 is the barrel. The trigger is poor, and the receiver is very difficult to bed. Any gun that needs a single lateral bedding screw belongs in a museum.
    The trigger is adjustable to be a very acceptable unit and not convinced that bedding one in would bring any tangible benefit to a model more than capable of printing ragged one hole groups at 50 yards with out-of-the-tin pellets...

BOTH are superb rifles. Though they are very different to use. I own an S400 and would happily own an S200 also.

No it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    S200 appears to be the more rugged of the two but S400 is the more refined. As for the barrel on the S400 being a little flisy , yes there is a point of concern there if you want to use the rifle as a bat.

A.G
    OK, the S4*0 barrel IS VERY THIN. he figure of 8 band that stops the barrel free floating is NOT my first choice on letting a barrel do what it is meant to.

HOWEVER, I have seen someone fall on a slope in an HFT (Newbury I think) and they decided to use their S400 as a pogo stick. In the spirit of things (and as he ripped his knee ligaments in the process), we let him shoot a couple to see if he could carry on. He was miles off. However, a quick tweak of the grub scews and the barrel flew a good few mm across and it was back on its original POI (well near enough) and he carried on.

If I have one issue with the S4 its the crappy finish. Look at it and it rusts. Other than that, its a damned fine rifle and a good ergonomic unit with accuracy and a good trigger though the STUPID safety catch on a TRIGGER....WTF is that about. I knock it out with a pin punch and safely put the bits in the bin.

BUT if you asked me to choose between an S4 or and S2......I would go S2 and tweak. The orig barrels were certainly the muts. I do not know about the current series, but those junior trainer CZ rifles were damned good in the field. The one bugbear....that goddam awful trigger. It really is shit.

OK - my 2 cents.

Never had a s400 in hands though was on the rim to buy one.
    Shot a S510 FSB and a TC couple of times - excellent guns.

Out of couriousitiy bought a brand new CZ200 S .177 Green / sub 12fpe
    Here is the link to that marvelous airgun:
    http://www.balistas.com/air-rifles/c...-s-green-45mm/

I did a full tune - trigger, action, transfer port, barrel bore,... and free floated the barrel. All together a nice DIY-job of a couple of spare hours without any special tools needed.

It's shooting now in FAC with excellent accuracy and a very nice clearly & crisp two-stage trigger.
    JSB Exact Heavy 10,34 gr
    863,3 fps / 17,1 fpe / std dev 3,3 fps

Out to 55 yds there is little to no difference to my DAYSTATE Mk4 iS S .177 sub-12fpe.
    So both airguns are my very accurate ones.
    Springer WALTHER LGU .177 / sub-12fpe very close behind but this is another story.

So go and get a Green one.
    You'll not regret.